Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NPC: 2002 Jetta, clutch slipping ...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SirAndy
Today i passed the 160,000 miles mark on my Jetta and 25 miles later, to the mark, my clutch starts slipping.
Seems too much of a coincidence, probably hardcoded in the car computer, damn you VW ... hissyfit.gif

Anyways, those of you in the know, how much is this going to set me back? As far as i know, the clutch on this car has never been replaced.
And if it's anything like replacing the timing chain, it's gonna be expensive. dry.gif

2002 Jetta VR6, 2.8L, automatic

driving.gif
Woody
Automatic? WTF.gif
TheCabinetmaker
I'm confused like woody. Automatic clutch?
jd74914
Auto's don't usually have a clutch...
Chris H.
I'm guessing he means it's an auto trans since he knows what he'd be in for with a manual clutch...probably has the feel of a manual clutch slip.

If it's an automatic it looks like you really took that trans into bonus land...most didn't last that long. Based on the few threads I read it could be as easy as changing the fluid or it could be ready to crap out.

The water cooled forums I'd look at for answers are:

VWVortex
VWforums
tdiclub

Of those, here are a few interesting threads...

Thread 1

Thread 2

Thread 3

And the diagnostic guide:

VW Guide

The diagnostic guide might help you nail down what it is based on the specific symptoms listed but it couldn't hurt to flush the fluid really well just to see if it helps.
Cap'n Krusty
If it's an automatic, figure around 3K for the trans, plus R&R labor. I have a guy who does 'em (DO NOT trust your local tranny shop!). PM me for details. Anything other than a rebuild is gonna be putting a bandaid on the problem. While it's out, do the timing chain thing, you're 60K past the early failure point. If it's actually a stick, figure $12-1500 for parts, same labor, and do the timing chain thing.

The Cap'n
SirAndy
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jan 14 2014, 07:49 AM) *
If it's an automatic, figure around 3K for the trans, plus R&R labor. I have a guy who does 'em (DO NOT trust your local tranny shop!). PM me for details. Anything other than a rebuild is gonna be putting a bandaid on the problem. While it's out, do the timing chain thing, you're 60K past the early failure point. If it's actually a stick, figure $12-1500 for parts, same labor, and do the timing chain thing.

$3k, ugh. Yes, automatic and yes, it very much feels like a slipping clutch.

You step on the gas, revs go up, the car moves, but it's like a slug trying to escape from your backyard.
You know, like when your clutch is slipping ...
rolleyes.gif

PS: Did the timing chain last year!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.