Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help! Something Missing from Shift Knob
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Kaduku
I pulled out my OEM shift knob to see if my new shift would fit. Yanked on it and after some effort it came out. I then found out the new knob don't fit, so when I tried putting back the old knob, it goes in super loose.

Did something else come off? I checked everywhere in the cabin and can't find anything.

ClayPerrine
Sounds like the crush sleeve is missing.

chads74
Forgot to mention...With the new knob I had to cut a little piece off a coke can and use as shim.
Kaduku
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jan 14 2014, 07:32 AM) *

I looked it up and saw how this thing looks like. Expensive for a little thing.

Will get a bigger flashlight and will search for it again. Thanks"

Kaduku
QUOTE(chads74 @ Jan 14 2014, 07:35 AM) *

Forgot to mention...With the new knob I had to cut a little piece off a coke can and use as shim.

Unfortunately the new one I bought requires a smaller diameter shaft. Too bad I really like the way it looks.

chads74
Oh that sucks. Sorry!
TheCabinetmaker
The crush sleeve is probably stuck inside the oem knob that you took off. When installing the sleeve and knob; put the sleeve on the very end of the shaft, gently slip the knob on till it stops, then smack it with the heel of your hand.
porbmw
QUOTE(Kaduku @ Jan 14 2014, 07:37 AM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jan 14 2014, 07:32 AM) *

I looked it up and saw how this thing looks like. Expensive for a little thing.

Will get a bigger flashlight and will search for it again. Thanks"

I think Mark/914rubber may sell the crush rings
VaccaRabite
You can also use paper or felt as the "crush ring."
Cut 2 two inch x 1/2 inch strips of felt.
Put them over the top of the lever like an "X"
Press the knob over top. Works like a charm. I've got knobs on all sorts of tools with this type of fitting. A ton cheaper then the actual rings too.

Zach
Kaduku
QUOTE(chads74 @ Jan 14 2014, 07:54 AM) *

Oh that sucks. Sorry!

Chad,
The one I got from you fits. It was the one I bought before getting yours. Your knob is on my car now.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.