Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: In the beginning there was rust... and some more rust...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
topatrout914
This all began to replace the suspension console.Click to view attachment
Then I poked the hell hole and it poked back.Click to view attachment
The PO had covered the hole with a piece of sheet metal and used RTV sealant to attach it and painted over it. barf.gif
scotty b
WTF.gif Cracked and welded ?
topatrout914
And there is more

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
The pedal cluster and surrounding floor pan remnants were covered/held together by bitumen hush mat material. Then the door jamb corner repair attempt was uncovered.
Click to view attachment driver side
Click to view attachment passenger side
topatrout914
QUOTE(scotty b @ Jan 14 2014, 12:17 PM) *

WTF.gif Cracked and welded ?

No, just cracked. It's amazing how undercoating covers up stromberg.gif
topatrout914
A few more pictures.Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=431
692]
topatrout914
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
This one apparently spent some time with rear jacked up and you can see a line of rust in the front of the floor pan where the water settled in the front.
scotty b
barf.gif I think RazorBobsr might have a car for sale mellow.gif
topatrout914
It really isn't anything a little sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif and some headbang.gif headbang.gif won't fix. It's a shame that a DAPO did some crappy repairs and covered it up with bondo and other junk. I've seen much worse!
JmuRiz
Yikes, that's rough looking. At least when you fix it all, you can make it anything you want (stock, modified etc)
trojanhorsepower
It is fun, the way the rust spots keep popping up. It's like walking to work and stepping in dog poop every other step.
billh1963
Wow ! I admire your persistence !
dlee6204
You have quite the project Trout. Good luck!
topatrout914
suspension console removed
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
76-914
Are those screws (holding the patch pieces on in the door jamb) that have been ground down?
topatrout914
What looks like screws is whats left after the spot weld cutter.
topatrout914
The hell hole

Click to view attachment

The remains of the mouse house inside the long??

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

pinch.gif
topatrout914
This could be dangerous but I'll do it anyway. Would you open up the long or just put some rust treatment in there and if so what?? It looks like the rust is from battery acid working on the metal. The outer longs look good except for the jack points where there was the usual crud packed under the rockers. Here's some pics after vacuuming out the mouse nest.

Click to view attachment
topatrout914
Click to view attachment
topatrout914
Suspension console removed

Click to view attachment
topatrout914
inside of long through hole behind suspension console

Click to view attachment

outer long

Click to view attachment
topatrout914
Click to view attachment

The hole on top of the long and a dime sized hole towards the bottom of the console were the only rust perforations. Rust treat inside long and weld on a couple of patches? The structure still looks good. Comments?? popcorn[1].gif
dlee6204
How's your motor mount console look? Any rustiness? You've gone this far, I would almost recommend going ahead and removing that too. I can guarentee that there will be rust behind it.
topatrout914
Doug, maybe you could stop by and check out since you've been there and done that. It looks good, the original paint is still there with no real rust spots. I hate to leave any cancer, but that is just one more thing to cut off and weld back on.
dlee6204
QUOTE(topatrout914 @ Jan 24 2014, 03:36 PM) *

Doug, maybe you could stop by and check out since you've been there and done that. It looks good, the original paint is still there with no real rust spots. I hate to leave any cancer, but that is just one more thing to cut off and weld back on.

Yeah I could stop by, no problem.

This one didn't look bad from the outside either.... laugh.gif Your car isn't this bad though.

Click to view attachment
PanelBilly
I'm thinking someone from Restoration Design is seeing this and getting visions of a really nice vacation.
topatrout914
Doug, thanks for coming by. Engine mount removed.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

dlee6204
Oh wow.
topatrout914
Ok...so I started this project roughly nine years ago and life happens. My son just graduated from high school and now I will have some spare time now that he is heading out to begin his life's journey at the Air Force Academy next week. I have done a few things over those nine years but now it is time get this thing moving again.

sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif
bkrantz
Congrats to you and your son. Now get to work! smash.gif
Dlee6205
Blast from the past... I'm glad to hear you still have this and plan to continue on.

Time to get to work

smash.gif
Montreal914
Congratulations!

Join the current restoration club! sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.