Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Replacing Points
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Alphaogre
I have been talking with some people that have similar VW motors and have replaced the points with a system much like the ignitor system from Protronix. I was checking to see if anyone on here had done this for their 914 and if so which one?

Im looking to do this for my 1970 914 1.7 with dual webber 44s. Protronix is saying they need the current distributor part number to let me know which one of thier systems would work, but I can not find anything on the distributer other then a Bosch logo and "made in Germany". Is there anywhere I can find the stock points and distributer information?

Here is the site.

http://www.pertronix.com/prod/ig/ignitor/default.aspx

Thanks!
ClayPerrine
The Pertronix unit in most 914s is a 1847V. It works in all the stock 4 cylinder distributors. I have one in Betty's 914, and it has been there for years. The only failure I had was when I hooked the electrical connections up backwards and fried it. But that was my fault and not the unit.

I am not sure if that one will fit the 009, but if you have one of those, you need to float test it anyway.

How are you running 44 Webers with a 1.7L engine? Those are really big for that motor.

Alphaogre
Yea that is what every one keeps saying, that the carbs are too big. They were on the car when I got it, and it was running fine. When I went to test drive it, it seemed much faster then I was expecting for the 1.7.

It was leaking oil really bad and when I pulled the motor and everything out, it was apparent that there had be head work done, and I pulled the part number off the case which matches the 1970 1.7, but I did not get the numbers off the heads, so i'm not sure if they are the originals or not.

It was one of those deals where the guy I bought it from was going to rebuild it and didn't and he did the same from the previous guy, so I just got a bunch of conjecture as to what was done to the car, but no paper work to define anything.

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jan 14 2014, 09:25 AM) *

The Pertronix unit in most 914s is a 1847V. It works in all the stock 4 cylinder distributors. I have one in Betty's 914, and it has been there for years. The only failure I had was when I hooked the electrical connections up backwards and fried it. But that was my fault and not the unit.

I am not sure if that one will fit the 009, but if you have one of those, you need to float test it anyway.

How are you running 44 Webers with a 1.7L engine? Those are really big for that motor.

bzettner
QUOTE(Alphaogre @ Jan 14 2014, 11:14 AM) *

I have been talking with some people that have similar VW motors and have replaced the points with a system much like the ignitor system from Protronix. I was checking to see if anyone on here had done this for their 914 and if so which one?

Im looking to do this for my 1970 914 1.7 with dual webber 44s. Protronix is saying they need the current distributor part number to let me know which one of thier systems would work, but I can not find anything on the distributer other then a Bosch logo and "made in Germany". Is there anywhere I can find the stock points and distributer information?

Here is the site.

http://www.pertronix.com/prod/ig/ignitor/default.aspx

Thanks!

Click to view attachment
Not that I can help, but when I was all ready to put my new points in my 1.7 and use my new dwell meter and my 30 year old Snap On timing light, I found out I have a Petronix ignition and my 30 year old timing light was broken hissyfit.gif
Alphaogre
So tonight I had it running and took everything apart.

Replaced the points with the electronic ignitor and installed everything.

I have the red wire going to the + on the coil and the black wire on the - on the coil. I have the the live wire that goes from the relay for ignition live going from the relay to the + on the coil as well.

Now I get nothing. Am I missing something here? huh.gif

ClayPerrine
Nothing meaning no spark from the coil wire? If so, check and see if you really have 12v to the positive side of the coil. Disconnect the red and black wires for the pertronix from the coil. Using a test light, see if it lights when the wire on the test light is grounded, and the probe tip is touched to the positive side of the coil. Make sure the key is on. biggrin.gif

r3dplanet
Just wanted too add that I have both a Pertronix AND Weber 44s on my 1.7 and they both work super. The Webers had to use 28mm chokes, which I found from only one supplier. After that I was able to fine tune it with an O2 meter. They work great.

http://www.mooreparts.com/5613-WEBVENT44-28/

I had a similar problem with my Pertronix install that ended up being the points plate that the module mounts to inside the distributor. The plate itself was stuck and in the wrong position. Why? Because the points plate I bought was an AA special. Make sure that you can freely and easily rotate the points plate back and forth. It only travels 10-20mm I think..

In this process have you adjusted the timing or removed the distributor? Are you getting 12v measured from the red wire and chassis or battery ground. One other item: many have found that installing the magnetic pickup ring around the shaft takes a surprising amount of force to fully seat. I used a deep socket and lightly tapped it on with a small hammer. If it sits too high, it can't make contact with the Ignitor unit. Can you show us a photo of your installation?

One flaw with this Ignitor I module is that IF the rotor is pointing directly at one of the distributor posts AND you leave the keys in the ACC/ON position without starting the car (like listening to the radio while waiting for the AAA guy to arrive) the Ignitor will cook itself. That problem was solved with the Ignitor II (Part# 91847V). FYI.

-marcus
Java2570
Marcus makes some good points above, I noticed when I first installed a Pertronix that it will change your timing somewhat. You will need to reset your timing!
Also, in regards to tapping the magnet sleeve down, I've always been able to seat them by hand but sometimes it's maddening to achieve. Keep working it around until you find the sweet spot because sometimes they'll only seat in one specific position. I would only resort to tapping it down with the hammer if all else fails. I tried that one time and promptly broke the fiber washers in my dizzy shaft; ruined the dizzy!!
r3dplanet
True. I can't stress enough that I used the tiniest amount of force with the tiniest hammer. A Playskool hammer if at all possible. Just very VERY light taps. And yes, the magnetic pickup is indexed.

QUOTE(Java2570 @ Jan 23 2014, 05:46 AM) *

Marcus makes some good points above, I noticed when I first installed a Pertronix that it will change your timing somewhat. You will need to reset your timing!
Also, in regards to tapping the magnet sleeve down, I've always been able to seat them by hand but sometimes it's maddening to achieve. Keep working it around until you find the sweet spot because sometimes they'll only seat in one specific position. I would only resort to tapping it down with the hammer if all else fails. I tried that one time and promptly broke the fiber washers in my dizzy shaft; ruined the dizzy!!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.