Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gas tank capacity
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bzettner
Now that I am driving my 914 with relative certainty that it will get me home, I have started filling it all the way full. The manual says 16.4 gallons and reserve is 1.6 gallons. Does reserve start when the red light shines? When my red, reserve light starts to shine and I fill up, I have only been able to get 11-12 gallons in, 12.132 gal tonight. I have had my tank out and it's incredibly clean inside so it's not 4 gallons on rust. What is right? blink.gif

I just had my speedo rebuilt and I am looking forward to actually checking the mpg's for grins.
Mike Bellis
Could be the 40 year old level sending unit... confused24.gif
GeorgeRud
I understand 16.4 is the total capacity. The reserve light comes on when the fuel tank sender float makes contact with a set of points at the bottom of the sender, with the 'reserve' left in the tank.
scotty
...and the unleaded nozzle goes waaaaaay into the tank.
bzettner
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Jan 14 2014, 09:56 PM) *

I understand 16.4 is the total capacity. The reserve light comes on when the fuel tank sender float makes contact with a set of points at the bottom of the sender, with the 'reserve' left in the tank.

But it appears that my reserve sender float makes contact (and lights up) at 4 gallons left in the tank? My brothers used to call it REMPTY on their bugs. laugh.gif
bluhun
My reserve light comes on with about 3.5 gallons left in the tank and has since I bought the car in 1975. I have had the sending unit replaced at least three times over the ensuing years and it has made no difference in when the reserve light comes on.
bzettner
QUOTE(bluhun @ Jan 14 2014, 11:36 PM) *

My reserve light comes on with about 3.5 gallons left in the tank and has since I bought the car in 1975. I have had the sending unit replaced at least three times over the ensuing years and it has made no difference in when the reserve light comes on.

Excellent info! Thanks! bye1.gif
gunny
I have run mine completely out of gas and could only get ~13.5 in it. My guess that because of fill design you would have to have the car at the right angle and take your time at the top to 16 in.
CptTripps
My car came with a piece of masking tape on the dash that said "1/4 = MT" which I didn't understand until I started sputtering at about 1/4 tank.

I have nothing else to add to this thread... biggrin.gif
rnellums
QUOTE(scotty @ Jan 14 2014, 09:22 PM) *

Agreed, are you topping it up (till you can see the gas at the top)? I find that if I put the nozzle all the way in and fill it till it shops, I can pull it out till just the tip is in and pump another couple of gallons.
76-914
QUOTE(rnellums @ Jan 15 2014, 06:57 AM) *

Agreed, are you topping it up (till you can see the gas at the top)? I find that if I put the nozzle all the way in and fill it till it shops, I can pull it out till just the tip is in and pump another couple of gallons.

agree.gif Toast showed me that trick!
bzettner
QUOTE(rnellums @ Jan 15 2014, 08:57 AM) *

Yes, I am pulling almost out and trickling more fuel in. Unfortunately, filling up after dark, in the shade of the hood, it's a little bit of a chore and the one time I really filled it up to the opening I dealt with gas fumes.

Sounds like my car is like all of your cars aktion035.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.