Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Perfect Chrome Bumper Price
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
McMark
Just curious how many people would pay $400 each for perfect chrome bumpers with no bumperette holes. Perfectly straight, perfectly chrome. If not $400, how much?
Gustl
if I'd own a six I'd be happy to get these bumpers for $400 (that's less than EUR 300)

I know some guys here in europe, they paid about EUR 700 (that's more than $900) for one perfect chrome bumper

for my 1.8 with black bumpers it's just not worth IPB Image
VegasRacer
$400 seems like a fair / cheap price if I wanted / needed perfect chorme bumpers. I don't. The PO had the bumpers rechromed on my black '73. I'm sure he paid more than that to have them done.
Rusty
Is that with a core exchange, just the refinishing, or NOS?

-Lawrence
Bleyseng
Shoot, only $400...sign me up!

Geoff IPB Image
Mueller
I'm sure that price is without the top rubber pad.....if it is a "complete" bumper, sign me up IPB Image

I have some parts at Valley Plating right now, I asked about them re-chroming my bumpers and they couldn't give me a final price until they saw them in person....

from talking to them, it might be a little cheaper to start with painted bumpers since they wouldn't have to strip off the old chrome (about $50 each for the chem bath)
boxstr
Hello from "The Bumper King". Yes I probably have more money spent on getting bumpers chromed and not chromed. First off, $400. 00 I will buy it now. JLO has $1500.00 in bumpers and tops and grilles. $500.00 for one bumper to triple concours chrome plate and fill holes. $195.00 in one bumper top(last years price), $200.00 factory foglite grilles.
Personally I would not take a black painted bumper in to be chromed, unless you have sanded all of the paint off and taken it down to bare metal. I have taken them in and they are full of bondo.
I prefer the "no tit" bumper, it just looks cleaner to me.
CCLUNBUMP
TJB/914
Bumperd were the toughest item on my resto. Back (6) years ago I paid $650 to get this one done. Before that I had a perfectly good one ruined by chrome another shop.
I finally stepped up & paid the price with a custom plater.

Front one's are the hardest one's to find.

Buy up all you can for spares.

Tom
McMark
That would be just for the bumper. I've been looking at those paint-on-chrome setups. It's about $1600 to get the setup, but it would make refinishing wheels and bumpers quick and easy. Everything I've read seems like it's pretty durable. $350-$400 seemed like a reasonable price for a not-chrome-but-just-as-pretty cheap replacement. I'm going to contact the company and see if they can send out a sample piece that I can beat on and test for longevity. We'll see what happens.
TJB/914
Mark,
Explain something. What is "paint-on-chrome-setups?? How can you make chicken soup out of chicken manure??? I don't believe there is a chrome subsitute.

In my opinion the true cost for rear & front chrome bumpers will be in the $1,500 buck range (plus or minus). That $400 bumper is a bargin.

Example
rear bumper:

Bumper core $ 250 plus
Custom plating $500 to $800
Bumper top $250
(2)74 bumper tips $100 ea. if you can fine them (no longer available)
Add all this up and you are in the range I quoted. Remember if the plater screws up you start over. It's getting expensive to restore these cars & bumpers are one reason.

Tom
McMark
Haven't you seen the chrome BMW?

IPB Image
T H O M A S
sema
T H O M A S
sema2
TJB/914
It's not original!!!!!

Just a bling , bling, coating that won't last through a Michigan winter.

Tom
BTW
It does look good. I wonder if the BMW will be at the Detroit January Auto Show??
My next question, cost???
McMark
Apparently it wasn't obvious that a $400 perfect bumper is not original. IPB Image

The idea is to give a 90% product at a discounted price. If people only wanted a 100% product they can buy perfect original NOS bumpers for a million dollars. That's not the niche I'm addressing.

I believe it would be a fairly durable coating. But as I mentioned, I have my own demands to satisfy in that regard. I don't want my name on something that fails in 6 months.
Rusty
IPB Image Whatever.
larryp
Been there already. I have a 1972 and needed a front bumper. Being in CT I do not need a front license plate and was going to have the license plate bracket holes filled and ground smooth. I bought two or three to be plated but was told by the plater that they were too thin. (I was also told that a perfect painted bumper can be usable but they start out thinner than the chrome ones, so finding a good one for plating was rare.) I found a very nice '71 and was going to have the license plate bracket holes welded up but the plater was worried that the thing would warp, so I ended up simply exchanging it as a core at PartWerks for one they had on hand, that was already replated. They also sold me a rear which I am keeping as a spare. I believe the cores I bought expecting (hoping) to replate them were ca. $75 each, and both redone bumpers were $450 each.
GWN7
I needed one for the 72 (buy two make one project). The tow truck driver hooked a chain to the corner of the one that was on it when they pulled it out of where it was sitting. I didn't find out till they dropped the car and left. Tore the metal. So no core. I went to my local chrome place and they had one, but it would take a week to have it done.

Still siting in my basement wrapped up. $325, no core
swood
How about getting the dents banged out and rechromed? IPB Image
JeffBowlsby
It's getting expensive to restore these cars & bumpers are one reason.

Yet another reason I like the 914LE cars...

Sorry...I couldnt resist... IPB Image
boxstr
Steve that dent might come out. It is around the braces that it can be harder to get to.
CCLINDENTDOCTOR
TJB/914
No, now, Bowsley:

What looks better chrome or paint?? We know you really want chrome on your LE's. We can duplicate original chrome, but you can't always color match yellow.

Tom, Strickler for original.
Steve, A good chrome shop can fix that dent. It's an added cost, but worth it if it's a good core.
914werke
Im with Jeff, IPB Image Phoenix Red all the way IPB Image IPB Image
swood
QUOTE (boxstr @ Jan 2 2005, 06:42 PM)
Steve that dent might come out. It is around the braces that it can be harder to get to.
CCLINDENTDOCTOR

Thats good to hear. THe rear is pretty close to perfect.

IPB Image
Gustl
QUOTE (rdauenhauer @ Jan 3 2005, 04:23 AM)
Im with Jeff,   IPB Image   Phoenix Red all the way IPB Image   IPB Image

I'd prefere the green one ... IPB Image IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image
gregrobbins
azbill took his bumpers to be re-chromed at Papago Plating in Phoenix. They welded in holes, smoothed same, removed dents and re-chromed. Done for only $225 each. Looks real nice.
Mueller
hmmm, maybe John Kelly can fab some bumpers out of aluminum and you could polish them for a nice luster IPB Image
horizontally-opposed
I might be interested in a pair of the fiberglass GT-style 914 bumpers from GT racing done in that faux-chrome paint with rubberized black paint for the top sections. 90% the look with a LOT less weight.

Sign me up for a pair of foglight grills that won't tarnish, too. My only question: What about rock chips...?

The Brumos 914-6 GT uses silver fiberglass (with LOTS of clear) bumpers with rubberrized black "top sections." Looks pretty convincing at a glance, so this would be a FAR better visual trick and weight lost in the best two spots in the bargain...

We could also save our good, original bumpers for another day...

pete
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.