Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tarret Sway Bar install
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jrrhdmust
So I decided i would start drilling the holes for my Tarret front sway bar. I had downloaded the instructions from Pelican parts read through them a few times. I cut out the template and marked my holes. I drilled the bottom hole, and got the bright idea, that I would put bolts in the Tarret backing plate to verify and check my holes.

Much to my surprise my hole was wrong....then it dawned on me the Pelican parts instructions were for a stock sway bar...mine was Tarrett... headbang.gif

So now my 2 minute hole is going to cost me about 4 hours of welding and grinding to build a tiny plate to weld the hole shut.... headbang.gif

And all i had to do was match the template to the part and save me all of the trouble..... blink.gif
Harpo
I also have the Tarret sway bar and I also used the instructions from pelican and mine went together just fine. My holes are located at 2:00, 6:00 & 10:00.

David
jrrhdmust
The template from pelican is larger - like a 1/2 in per hole, than the tarret parts I received. I will post pics tomorrow.
jpnovak
Bummer. Sounds like your template did not print to size. The Tarrett and stock factory mounts are the same dimension. The through body sway bars are all the same for 911, 912 and 914.

Eric_Shea
I don't think I'd worry about it, when you weld in the backing plate you can cover the hole and weld the extra then.

P.S. Why didn't you just use the backing plate as the template?
jrrhdmust
Ding ding ding we have a winner, the template didn't print to size. wacko.gif

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

I am really gald I checked the template with the backing plate before I drilled all three holes. I did see the 1 inch call out and it didn't dawn on me to check it....
SirAndy
QUOTE(jrrhdmust @ Jan 17 2014, 10:11 AM) *
Ding ding ding we have a winner, the template didn't print to size. wacko.gif

More often than not, the default for printing mode is "Scale size to fit media" in which case who knows what size you'll end up with.

Been there, done that ...
dry.gif
r_towle
where to start...

Your first mistake was reading the directions....
Did your Dad not teach you that part of manhood...

NEVER read the directions.

Second...
Well , nevermind, the first was enough.

rich
Socalandy
QUOTE(jrrhdmust @ Jan 15 2014, 09:09 AM) *

So I decided i would start drilling the holes for my Tarret front sway bar. I had downloaded the instructions from Pelican parts read through them a few times. I cut out the template and marked my holes. I drilled the bottom hole, and got the bright idea, that I would put bolts in the Tarret backing plate to verify and check my holes.

Much to my surprise my hole was wrong....then it dawned on me the Pelican parts instructions were for a stock sway bar...mine was Tarrett... headbang.gif

So now my 2 minute hole is going to cost me about 4 hours of welding and grinding to build a tiny plate to weld the hole shut.... headbang.gif

And all i had to do was match the template to the part and save me all of the trouble..... blink.gif

As Master Rick would say, Flatten a section of copper pipe, Back up the hole and plug weld it. The weld wont stick to the copper biggrin.gif you have to cut the slot on the inside for the backing plate anyways
sixnotfour
drop it down another 1/4 to insure no rubbing on gas tank
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.