Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Show me your race car dashes!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
campbellcj
My stock dash top/pad is in horrible condition plus I need to do some paint and wiring work around there, so I removed it as well as the kneepad and dash fabric. Pics show where I am now. (Interesting how there's blue overspray on the metal dash and ravenna on the glovebox door - have heard about this factory mix-and-match syndrome before.)

This is a highly-modified and gutted car that right now is used almost 100% track-only but still street registered which helps for short test drives. The ventilation and radio were ditched years ago for example. But someday I may return the car back to a more streetable setup. I want to keep the dash functional, somewhat period-correct and cosmetically nice-looking but not necessarily all stock.

Was thinking of keeping the stock 'pod' over the gauge area but eliminating the rest of the dash top and kneepad, and possibly covering it with perlon-type felt or alcantara fabric.

Ideas? Pics of yours?

Thanks!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

stugray
here's my CF dash

IPB Image

It matches my door panels:
IPB Image
sixnotfour
biggrin.gif
GaroldShaffer
I don't have any pics of it, but I have seen a few that used the plastic dash covers.
brant
upholstered pod
bam914
This is what I had in my car. Race-Technology Dash2

Click to view attachment
Matt Romanowski
Here's mine. I made the pod based on the stock one and made the flat sheet for the switches and breakers.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
J P Stein
KISS...... biggrin.gif
No time to look at gauges at AX. .....
Seabird
Chris,

My dash was looking much like yours when I bought my teener a few months ago. Here is what I made up on my CNC. I work with wood at work so this prototype is out of 1/8" plywood. Once I get the layout I want I will probably get a local water jet shop to cut it out of aluminum. The other option I was considering is to wrap it with the factory vinyl.

Round two fresh off the machine:

IPB Image

Here is round one rattle canned and installed:

IPB Image

If you want one cut let me know. They can be tweaked easily.

Miguel
f1rocks
From my new track car. The dash is 100% Dzus fastener, allows for a 5 minute removal.
Krieger
I made one out of aluminum. Check out page 2 of my project F914 build in my signature.
moggy
Here's mine. Simply some ally sheet that I cut to shape and cut the relevant holes in the right places. Pop riveted it over the old front of the dash. The top of the dash is simply a plastic over covering that you can buy that goes over cracked dash tops. There's no dash top under that thing, but unless you look closely you'd never know. Keeps it simple and low weight.

IPB Image

IPB Image
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(Matt Romanowski @ Jan 15 2014, 10:39 PM) *

Here's mine. I made the pod based on the stock one and made the flat sheet for the switches and breakers.

Hey Matt,
How did you make your labels for the switches and lights? Do you have one of those P-touch labelers?
Heater Guy
A little rough but, it works. The red led (in the video) is the brake light to show me my brake points on the track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0Le7LfdDNE...eature=youtu.be
Matt Romanowski
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Jan 21 2014, 11:16 AM) *

QUOTE(Matt Romanowski @ Jan 15 2014, 10:39 PM) *

Hey Matt,
How did you make your labels for the switches and lights? Do you have one of those P-touch labelers?

Yup. I have a Label Shop BEE3+, but same difference. My label is the bottom end of professional labelers and also does heat shrink for wires. I've been told some of the P-Touch labelers are not UV protected.
campbellcj
Thanks for all the great ideas and pics! I'm sure mine will end up being a hybrid of several of the above.

I believe for POC rules and probably VARA too I'll have to keep a stock-ish "profile" but it will be minimalist.

Last weekend I removed the glovebox which was un-fun. I have some perlon felt, aluminum sheet, black ABS sheet and one of those plastic dash tops to work with. I also have a G2X dash/data-acq and various switches I can install. Undecided yet if I will keep the ignition, starter and light switches stock but I think I'll put in a separate switch for the fuel pump at minimum. The key thing I don't have much of is time...

Thanks again guys,
bulitt
QUOTE(Heater Guy @ Jan 21 2014, 03:12 PM) *

A little rough but, it works. The red led (in the video) is the brake light to show me my brake points on the track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0Le7LfdDNE...eature=youtu.be

So you program your brake points and the LED lights at those spots? GPS?
Sorry the GT3 ran you off.
McMark

So you program your brake points and the LED lights at those spots? GPS?
Sorry the GT3 ran you off.

Pretty sure it's so you can see where he's braking in the video.
r_towle
QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Jan 16 2014, 02:11 AM) *

This white ,minimalistic car is just so well done....wow
Heater Guy
No GPS. The led is connected to my brake light switch.
I use the dash brake light to critique my runs. With the light I can see where my brake points are, how long I am on the brake, and where I pick-up the throttle.
It's not real scientific but, with the camera and "Hot Lap Timer", I can pick out where I am loosing time from breaking too softly.
I think it is a fairly good training tool.

As my instructor said way back then: NO SPEED ___ NO BRAKE!
campbellcj
QUOTE(r_towle @ Feb 3 2014, 11:28 AM) *

This white ,minimalistic car is just so well done....wow

I really like the white one too, although I thought it was frowned-upon to drive without a pedalboard - no throttle or clutch stops.

And, SEATS are a plus too in my book. I can take minimalism only to a point... poke.gif
1stworks
IPB Image

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.