Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steering wheel hard in turns
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ndfrigi
Hi, Can I get some suggestions/comments on how can I improve my steering wheel during turns.

Currently my front tires are 185x65x15. Front wheels looks very straight facing the car from front view, No issue or force to left or right when driving straight. Pretty much no issue also when running 65 to 85 mph (offcourse I only drive more than 65mph when I just follow the flow of the traffic here in California).

Do I need to remove the steering rack for complete clean up or re-greasing?

Thank you in advance and God Bless!

Noel
Dave_Darling
The joints in the steering column could be binding up. We have seen that, particularly if the steering system has been worked on recently.

Evidently you can loosen the bolts that hold the universal joints onto the steering column pieces, and move them just a little bit. Tighten the bolts and see if that helps.

Another possibility is that you have too much caster angle.

--DD
ndfrigi
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jan 15 2014, 11:51 AM) *

The joints in the steering column could be binding up. We have seen that, particularly if the steering system has been worked on recently.

Evidently you can loosen the bolts that hold the universal joints onto the steering column pieces, and move them just a little bit. Tighten the bolts and see if that helps.

Another possibility is that you have too much caster angle.

--DD

Thanks a lot Dave for responding!
On this pictures of right and left top struts, do you think sir this might be the reason?
The passenger side strut is not installed in the middle compare to the driver side.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
yeahmag
At the very least you need an alignment!
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Jan 15 2014, 05:17 PM) *

At the very least you need an alignment!

agree.gif There is usually a small amount of caster difference when a car is aligned properly for the street to account for the crown of the road. But looking at that picture - things do not look right.
ndfrigi
Dave thanks again! I tried to straighten the passenger side strut and it did made a big difference now. I will also bring it to allignment soon after replacing the tie rod with turbo tie rod.
ndfrigi
Thanks also Aaron and George!
Madswede
And here I was all ready to be an ass and say, "You DO know it doesn't have power steering, right??"

But I see it's a legit issue, I just misread the thread title, so I'm not gonna say it.

Oh wait, I did. Now I'm a burro.gif
ndfrigi
Totally forgot this thread already. Well the only issue only was the alignment. I did manual alignment and now the steering has improve a lot. Maybe after doing the 5 lug conversion and replacement of turbo tie rod, I will have it align in a good shop.

Thanks again!
SirAndy
A good professional 4 wheel alignment can do wonders for your car ...
shades.gif
ndfrigi
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 22 2015, 10:33 AM) *

A good professional 4 wheel alignment can do wonders for your car ...
shades.gif

Thank you SirAndy!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.