Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: estimate tranny rebuild
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cegallegos99
Hi,

Regarding current tranny work, how much would a shop charge for rebuilding ?

thx chris
Jeffs9146
Send it to the Evil one!!

Black22
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Jan 15 2014, 05:40 PM) *

Send it to the Evil one!!

agree.gif and wouldn't even think of going elsewhere! biggrin.gif
walterolin
Or better yet, go to one of Evil's clinics and learn all about your tranny and meet some strange people. The one up at Port Hope was a lot of fun and I got to meet some friends of Rob Ford.
injunmort
dr. evil is the only way to go.
somd914
QUOTE(walterolin @ Jan 15 2014, 08:55 PM) *

Or better yet, go to one of Evil's clinics and learn all about your tranny and meet some strange people. The one up at Port Hope was a lot of fun and I got to meet some friends of Rob Ford.

agree.gif Did a Dr. Evil Clinic in Richmond two years ago - a day of fun and learning. I spent $700 on pizza, beer, and good used parts - some synchros, dog teeth, and bearings. Independent mechanic quoted me $3k. Mind you $3k was using new parts, but for 3,000-5,000 miles/yr, a refresh with good used parts was fine for me.

Don't let this scare you, the Doc and others will help you along if needed...

Click to view attachment
cegallegos99
Will look him up. Thanks
cegallegos99
This site is filled with helpful hints. I have been reading alot.
jimkelly
his link

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=56892

bulitt
You can pull your gear stack and ship it to him. Shipping cost aboot 60$ in a h.depot plastic bin via Greyhound.
Dr Evil
Thanks for the positive review, fellas smile.gif

Shipping the stack is about $40 in a regular box.

See my links in my signature below for how clinics go and went. If you get a few people in LA that wan to do a clinic, I would love to come down there.
cegallegos99
Texas or La or Florida.. will post an ad

thanks
Dr Evil
I will be doing a Tx and FL clinic this year.
vw505
I took my stack out to count the teeth and check the condition of a new to me trans. were can i get a gaskit kit to put it all back together?
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jan 16 2014, 10:33 PM) *

piratenanner.gif
green914
agree.gif Dr. Evil's clinic is a fun day with fellow enthusiast smile.gif ,and you walk away with a reconditioned trans for a very low cost. poke.gif go....
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(vw505 @ Jan 22 2014, 09:34 AM) *

I took my stack out to count the teeth and check the condition of a new to me trans. were can i get a gaskit kit to put it all back together?

GPR. You DID keep and preserve the paper shim stack between the case and the intermediate plate, right?

The Cap'n
RazorbackFan78
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jan 16 2014, 09:33 PM) *

piratenanner.gif
barebrad
piratenanner.gif

piratenanner.gif Oh please do share some information on the Florida clinic! piratenanner.gif
patssle
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jan 16 2014, 07:33 PM) *

In Houston? And is your contact a guy named Peter?
carr914
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Jan 22 2014, 12:49 PM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jan 16 2014, 10:33 PM) *

piratenanner.gif

piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif

To the OP, the only other person I would trust besides Dr Evil would be Brad Mayeur. They have both built Trannies for me
cegallegos99
Put my name for Texas.
aharder
QUOTE(RazorbackFan78 @ Jan 22 2014, 12:24 PM) *

piratenanner.gif

I'm looking forward to Texas piratenanner.gif
DblDog
The evil one abides....

Click to view attachment
914werke
For informational purposes Carquip lists a stock /4 rebuilt 901 (914 not 912) for about $1900. Not sure how many new parts make it into that box.
eyesright
Hi,

Regarding current tranny work, how much would a shop charge for rebuilding ?

thx chris

Buy Dr. Evil's video and watch it. He'll tell you how to do it yourself (including building some tools to get the job done, or how to get around the specialty tools just about as well for those of us too lazy.) then consider tackling it yourself and/or a clinic.

Then if you go to a shop to have it done, you'll be well informed about what is necessary and what you can skimp on.

I assume its still available...worth every cent just for the knowledge.
Dr Evil
I have never been able to get an answer back from them about what goes into their gear boxes. For that price, I know there are limited if no new parts. I will beat anybody's price, easily.
Mblizzard
I will have to strongly back the Dr. on his price! I am one cheap SOB. I did extensive searches for parts and looked at off the shelf rebuilds. Some of these efforts seemed promising but in the end it seems that unless you know in advance every part you need, there is just no way to get a quality rebuild much cheaper.

I am also a skeptic. For some, they just go into a shop and pay the quoted price. That is fine but I want to know what was wrong and what must be replaced and what can be reused. At first I thought I would take the "when in doubt, kill them all and let god sort out the good from the bad" approach to getting new parts. What a shock! When the running total got over $2k I just quit.

After having a few conversations with the Dr. and learning a few lessons, I have to say that I feel pretty good about paying him to show me how to rebuild my trans. I am sure that I will have a much better trans at the end of the build even if it costs the same as one off the shelf.
walterolin
To expand a little on Mike B's comments: At the rebuild clinic, I did most of the disassembly. Then Evil did the inspection and pointed out the bad parts. He next pulled good used parts out of his stash, and put them side by side with the bad parts, so there was no question in my mind about what I needed, and what I got.

I didn't get new sliders and dog teeth, but I got good stuff (plus new seals all round). Total cost for parts and supervision was about 650 USD.

And I had a good time meeting a bunch of guys from this board, and meeting real live Canadians. In fact I was becoming fluent in Canadian towards the end of the seminar, took aboot 36 hours, eh?
ericoneal
So Walter, does that mean she is going to be back on the road this spring?
walterolin
QUOTE(ericoneal @ Jan 24 2014, 12:22 PM) *

So Walter, does that mean she is going to be back on the road this spring?

Nah. I got backed up at home putting a new floor and other things. I've almost finished the body work, and I'm going to paint this spring, can't do much in an unheated drafty garage when it's just above zero.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.