Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Working on Something New
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mblizzard
I was a little frustrated at the lack of availability and cost of the often missing impeller cap 021 119 149.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

So we started working on a version for those that wanted the cap to keep dirt and grime out but not the cost. Just developing it now but this is where we are.

Click to view attachment

Overall not too bad but still has a little refinement to go. Will keep you posted!

Click to view attachment
timothy_nd28
I never knew a cap went on that bolt. Nice work
nathansnathan
Was there ever a cap for the late fan? I have only seen them on the pre 73 fans?
ThePaintedMan
Cool Mike! Nice work!
Mblizzard
QUOTE(nathansnathan @ Jan 16 2014, 07:08 AM) *

Was there ever a cap for the late fan? I have only seen them on the pre 73 fans?

I am not sure about the years. In the PET I think it shows it for the 1.7. I know I have struggled getting a few impellers hub bolts out at times over the years so I think keeping dirt out of all of them is not a bad idea.
ThePaintedMan
Now we just need a 3d printed fan screen like the one that came on buses. Those things are getting really expensive!
Mblizzard
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Jan 16 2014, 07:29 AM) *

Now we just need a 3d printed fan screen like the one that came on buses. Those things are getting really expensive!

Yep that is next!
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Jan 16 2014, 07:26 AM) *

I am not sure about the years. In the PET I think it shows it for the 1.7. I know I have struggled getting a few impellers hub bolts out at times over the years so I think keeping dirt out of all of them is not a bad idea.

Uhhhhhh, Mike? You look at the picture? Gonna have to hit you with a low yield Krusty bomb. Sorry. The cap doesn't cover the 3 bolts that hold the fan to the hub, only the one securing the hub to the crank, the one that's never a problem.

The Cap'n
JFJ914
QUOTE(nathansnathan @ Jan 16 2014, 10:08 AM) *

You are correct, only the early tapered fan had the cap. The fan shown was "naked"
type47fan
Nice work! However, I think I'd be more concerned with a possible balance problem from the missing blade in the impeller.
Mblizzard
QUOTE(type47fan @ Jan 16 2014, 07:52 AM) *

Nice work! However, I think I'd be more concerned with a possible balance problem from the missing blade in the impeller.

You are absolutely correct on the missing blade. That is why it is being used for the mock ups. Somebody did not notice the missing blade until it was all cleaned up and painted. headbang.gif
Mblizzard
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jan 16 2014, 07:34 AM) *

QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Jan 16 2014, 07:26 AM) *

Uhhhhhh, Mike? You look at the picture? Gonna have to hit you with a low yield Krusty bomb. Sorry. The cap doesn't cover the 3 bolts that hold the fan to the hub, only the one securing the hub to the crank, the one that's never a problem.

The Cap'n

I would never even think about disputing that Cap'n. I usually got hold of stuff that was mostly junk and the ones I had problems with was due to rust from sitting not from operation. So I was likely claiming the worst of everything and this is not really a must have item. But I like it and it is just one of those things that I wanted and I thought others might feel the same.

But Cap' the next possible evolution of this is to cover the three bolts and add the cap. But we are still looking at that.
Mblizzard
Well moving things along.

Changed the concept to this.

Click to view attachment

Seems to have come out pretty good.

Click to view attachment

Next step expand to cover the impeller bolts.
injunmort
racing fan?
Mblizzard
No just the impeller cap. But that's a great marketing angle!
Andyrew
^ The joke is AA marketed a fan years ago that had a bunch of missing blades as a "racing fan"
Mblizzard
Crap! The fan we are using for mock ups has broken fin and I completely missed the racing application. headbang.gif

I guess I will just have to think of something else.

That is really funny, not unexpected of AA. But funny.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.