Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is this 5-lug safe?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
HalfMoon
My PO put these on a 1973 v-8 converted Sheridan bodied.
I don't know alot about 5-lug conversions or spacers for very large wheels, but some threads I've read seem to question the safety of what I have. Certainly it's alot of unsprung weight but I'm primarily concerned about safety as I plan to track the car this season at Summit Point.
What alternatives do I have and or what modifications could be made to make these better/safer or am I just being a worry wort?
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
McMark
I'm not a fan of threads in those thin spots. But a machine shop could easily open those up for real Porsche/Verbus press in studs.
HalfMoon
QUOTE(McMark @ Jan 16 2014, 03:59 PM) *

I'm not a fan of threads in those thin spots. But a machine shop could easily open those up for real Porsche/Verbus press in studs.

Could you expand on this comment or point me to a thread? That sounds interesting!
McMark
Where those are threaded in, drill that out to the right size for studs.

IPB Image
IPB Image
HalfMoon
QUOTE(McMark @ Jan 16 2014, 04:13 PM) *

Where those are threaded in, drill that out to the right size for studs.

Thanks for that! Looks like a much safer way to do it :-)
D
McMark
Make sure they spot face or 'make flat' the area where the stud lip/edge will sit.

Image stolen from Eric at PMB Performance who sells kits to do all this.
IPB Image
toolguy
I'd be concerned for the incredible leveraged load you're putting on the wheel bearings
messix
QUOTE(toolguy @ Jan 16 2014, 06:58 PM) *

I'd be concerned for the incredible leveraged load you're putting on the wheel bearings

here we go again.......

popcorn[1].gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.