Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Installing passenger side mirror
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jeeperjohn56
Okay guys, need to install a passenger side mirror on my white car and don't want to screw up the door. Does anybody have the measurement on where too put it? This will be a stock 914 mirror. Any picture's would be appreciated. Thanks John driving.gif
type47
Take the door panel off and find the nuts for the mirror screws that are welded on the inside of the door skin (?, the door metal). try to get a punch/nail/drift/something that will be able to make an outward dimple on the door skin when you tap it. locate the nail/drift thingy in the hole where the threads are in the nut, center as best you can, then tap gently to try to get a slight raised outward mark on the outside. When both are marked, go to the outside of the door skin and carefully drill the hole where the mark is. You might end up re-dimpling the skin on the outside so the drill bit doesn't walk around on your nicely painted door skin. You can start with small holes and gradually open it up until it's the correct size (6mm if I recall). Paint hole and area to prevent rust. The screws are supposed to be 6mm oval head Phillips; I found flat head 6mm Phillips at local hardware store. There is also a base gasket between the mirror base and the door skin.
toolguy
IIRC, the nuts are already welded inside the door frame. . you need to pull the inside panel and punch up through the nuts to mark the outside. then drill accordingly. .
McMark
In exactly the same place as the driver's side. Drill the one close to the vertical chrome piece first because I find it easier to locate. Then once you have that one done, install the mirror with one screw and use a sharpie to make the other one.

The nuts are already in there, so don't drill too far. Just one layer of sheet metal. Go slow and check your progress often.
dlkawashima
Like Jim said, I would remove the door panel, locate the two nuts that are welded in place, and stick a punch through each hole to create little pimples on the outside door skin.

BTW, this question has been asked before and the punch that's most often recommended is one of those automatic center punches that you can find at any hardware store, or even Amazon. You won't have to swing a hammer in a confined space if you use an automatic punch.

When drilling, I recommend starting with a small bit and work your way up to the size you need to fit the screws through the holes.

http://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-6580-Automati...h+spring+loaded

IPB Image
PanelBilly
HF has the punches for a couple of bucks and if there's a sale even cheeper
sfrenck
I did mine last fall. The nuts are there - I just carefully measured the driver mirror hole locations and used a small bit for a pilot hole to make sure I was in the right spot. I didn't have a punch - and didn't need one.
worn
QUOTE(jeeperjohn56 @ Jan 16 2014, 03:56 PM) *

Okay guys, need to install a passenger side mirror on my white car and don't want to screw up the door. Does anybody have the measurement on where too put it? This will be a stock 914 mirror. Any picture's would be appreciated. Thanks John driving.gif

I found that careful measurements from what you have on the driver will get you there. Start with the smallest bit you can find and see if the hole lands in or on the nut. Adjust accordingly. Drill to size with a countersink bit so you don't destroy the nut. Have fun! It may be that one of the nuts can be located from the inside without pulling the door panel; I just don't remember. I do remember it went well.

Of course if you miss, you can call them lightening or "speed" holes. Yeah, great.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.