Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone else have one of these in you trunk?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
struckn
Just wondering if anyone else is using one of these? It's an adjustble bar between the top of the shock towers in the trunk.

IPB Image[/URL]
kshighlander
Why is it adjustable, just for universal fit?
injunmort
back in the day we used call them "monte carlo bars" but in most cars they were up front.
jimkelly
and for installation I'd assume.

seems to me the rubber bushings at the top of the shocks would flex much more that the tower necks would?

regardless, interesting part.

JmuRiz
I always figured the firewall between the engine bay and trunk was the 'tower bar' on a 914...same goes for the front.
scotty b
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Jan 16 2014, 06:05 PM) *

seems to me the rubber bushings at the top of the shocks would flex much more that the tower necks would?

agree.gif Seems pointless.
struckn
It came with the car when Purchased and I've never seen, or heard mention of the Bar before. I've seen similar ones on the front towers to help with body flex.
Good for something I guess. Anyway makes for good conversation and can't hurt, so for now I'll just leave it there.

idea.gif
brant
Dead weight.
PanelBilly
Its for hanging up your suits, so they don't slide around in spirited driving
John
Back in the day those were advertised as the latest and greatest way to improve handling by reducing the weight of the driver's wallet.

they serve absolutely no purpose as installed. a bigger benefit is gained by actually welding the shock towers to the inner fenders by opening up the boxes on either side. I'm sure you can search for what I speak of.

By the way, the upper shock mounts in the rear of a 914 play virtually no role in the alignment of the rear of these cars. The trailing arm mounts and bushings do all the work.
Cpl620
Strut tower bar. I have yet to dive into the suspension of a 914 since I just picked one up, but these are common place mods on other "driven" cars these days. Helps with body flex as long as they are designed and installed right. I know for the front of a normal engine car, these help quite a bit with keeping your steering response more predictable and stable while taking a corner.
CptTripps
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Jan 17 2014, 12:54 AM) *

Its for hanging up your suits, so they don't slide around in spirited driving

+1

You beat me to it.
TheCabinetmaker
About 20 years ago there was a local pca guy was making and selling these for 911's and boxters. He said I could use one on my car. I opened the trunk lids and he said, "oh, you don't need it. Your strut towers are already connected".
stownsen914
These braces make sense for a strut suspension like the front of a 911 where there can be some flex in shock towers, which impacts suspension geometry. For the rear of a 914, movement in shock towers does not cause change in suspension geometry, so I don't see the point ...

Scott
ConeDodger
Very easily homemade. Worthless on a 914 as already stated, but the make a big difference on my 240Z.
r_towle
There is flex there, but tying both together would not really stop it.

Weld up the shock towers (Jeroen did a great article on that)
And if you really want, tie the shock towers to the transmission cross member....that does help.

rich
SirAndy
QUOTE(brant @ Jan 16 2014, 08:19 PM) *
Dead weight.

agree.gif

Not needed on a 914 ...
shades.gif
Kirmizi
So it's not for the Trunk Monkey then? confused24.gif
I have one, it's from the 70s
Eric_Shea
I think they'll span a 911 front shock tower. Sell it to someone like that who can use it.
struckn
Sell it to a 911......hmmm, maybe I'll have it Chromed first. idea.gif

slap.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.