Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Race Cars-heater tube delete
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Maltese Falcon
I'm ready to cut into the longs (good cond Cal. Car) and excavate the heater materials, just wondering where the best area is to open up. There will be new sheet metal welded back at the longs in the interior. It's a track car, no heat. Show me some pictures, or some of your experience is appreciated !
Marty
ChrisFoley
We remove them without making any cuts.
Its possible to pull all the material out through the oval holes inside the cockpit.
mueba.gif
Maltese Falcon
That's good news Chris ! Any asbestos in that material I will be working with ?
Woody
what do they weight?
URY914
I pulled mine out thru the interior holes too. I wouldn't do it again. The ducts are paper wrapped with a wire spring with plastic ends on them. They weight less than 4 pounds and they are as low as you can get it the car.
stugray
I left mine in and ran the front oil cooler lines, fire system, and a harness through them.

Seems like a huge effort for very little benefit.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Jan 17 2014, 02:02 PM) *

That's good news Chris ! Any asbestos in that material I will be working with ?

Spiral wrapped corrugated paper exterior, fiberglass insulation, foil liner, plastic ends.
No asbestos.
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(URY914 @ Jan 17 2014, 02:24 PM) *

I pulled mine out thru the interior holes too. I wouldn't do it again. The ducts are paper wrapped with a wire spring with plastic ends on them. They weight less than 4 pounds and they are as low as you can get it the car.

I tend to agree - I don't think it's worth the trouble. Plus, if you rip it out and for whatever reason someone wants heat in the car in the future, it's gonna be fun to explain. I have one of those heater tubes sitting in my shed - I can weigh it for you guys tonight if you're interested.
johnhora
As said... can be removed from existing oval holes...takes a little time but not really a big deal...done it on all my race 914s
If 4 lbs or so that is still weight in a race car...remember the balsawood 917 shift knob....weight is weight and in a race car less is good....every HP is needed especially in a 914
Jeff Hail
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jan 17 2014, 10:44 AM) *

We remove them without making any cuts.
Its possible to pull all the material out through the oval holes inside the cockpit.
mueba.gif

Like threading a camel through the eye of a needle. Good long nose pliers helps.
Maltese Falcon
You guys are great...thanks for all the answers.
I had pictured some big heavy heat -chambers stuck in there...not the case.
I'll just keep a water hose handy while miging in the long-kit. biggrin.gif
Marty
r_towle
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Jan 17 2014, 04:34 PM) *

You guys are great...thanks for all the answers.
I had pictured some big heavy heat -chambers stuck in there...not the case.
I'll just keep a water hose handy while miging in the long-kit. biggrin.gif
Marty

its touching the inner long...

closest place is in the middle...so weld above and below centerline.

Seatbelt bolt is right next to the end of the piece.

rich
URY914
And when you go back to add weight so you can meet your class's minumum weight, where do you add it?

You end up bolting weight on the floor right next to the heater tubes. lol-2.gif
Maltese Falcon
Fast forward to today 6pm PST...everything is out of the longs !
We just made a small adjustment to the openings in the longs, ground away the rivet heads holding the 4 internal spring clamps (which came out neatly), and pulled everything out of the openings. Only had to break the plastic end flanges to pass through . Interesting observation was seeing grey primer inside the longs...no rust smile.gif
I don't know how much extra lead weight the POC will make us put into our 914 /Cayenne v8
racer, but we will just run exhibition class if it becomes ridiculous.
Marty
rmdinmd
sad.gif uh-oh.

I am trying to get heat back. Guess I need to check and see if this was done to mine. I assume if it has, I will need to cut open and then weld the longs after reinstalling the tubes. blink.gif the fun never stops huh. headbang.gif
Eric_Shea
Marty, weld lateral stiffening tubes in there. If I didn't have heater tubes I'd do that.
914werke
long heat tube
r_towle
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jan 18 2014, 01:01 PM) *

Marty, weld lateral stiffening tubes in there. If I didn't have heater tubes I'd do that.

I was thinking the same thing, yet have the inner or outer be open, with a cover, so you could add weights into each tube if needed...two purposes...

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.