Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Don't let this happen to you.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914itis
headbang.gif

Just got the pic from my brother in GA.
r_towle
did you just drill a hole to mount an amp?

Rich
914itis
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 17 2014, 04:53 PM) *

did you just drill a hole to mount an amp?

Rich

My brother, yep.
JawjaPorsche
Is that gas from the fuel tank? sad.gif

or water from the radiator? laugh.gif
914itis
Yes it is

Jonathan Livesay
Gonna need another cup or two.

Expensive amp installation. dry.gif
914itis
3 gallons last time I spoke to him
r_towle
not that I know, but remove the tank strap, pull up on the tank, really hard.
pull up on passenger side.

A tank can be removed in less than 30 seconds....
Jonathan Livesay
Thank-you, I am sure a lot of us are feeling slightly less dumb with regard to the worst eff-up we have ever committed while working on our cars. beerchug.gif

Well at least I am. smile.gif
914_teener
Tell ya"ll story 'bout a man named Jeb........

Workin on his Teener tryin to keep his family fed.....

Then one day .....while workin near the wheel....

Bubblin out the front and feeling like a heel.....

Sorry guys couldn't resist....lest I doom myself to do the same. Thanks for sharing the misfortune so I don't.... or less likely to.
pt_700
OMFG, thanks for sharing.

a long, long time ago, in a past lifetime, i made the same mistake...

i woke up my room-mate and dear friend to hold his finger over the leak, dutch boy style while i crawled beneath to drain the fuel.

can't blame that one on some dumb p.o.!
FourBlades

Nice reminder for people!

If you laughed at this then maybe you won't forget it later.

John
timothy_nd28
QUOTE(914itis @ Jan 17 2014, 01:50 PM) *

headbang.gif

Looks like Si Robertson's cup, you two kin? laugh.gif
Woody
Actually I see tons of stuff like this from stereo shops. It never amazes me what they drill through.
jimkelly
fast syphon needed.

though i can not believe the tank is that close to the floor board that it would flow thru itself and thru the floor board so completely. hum
Chris H.
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 17 2014, 04:32 PM) *

not that I know, but remove the tank strap, pull up on the tank, really hard.
pull up on passenger side.

A tank can be removed in less than 30 seconds....

agree.gif Absolutely...tip that sucker up...probably stop leaking immediately...you'll have to do it anyway to plug it temporarily.

On the bright side...thankfully no significant sparks were generated....that would have been a REAL PROBLEM.
Spoke
ohmy.gif

Hopefully he pulled the car out of the garage. It's bad enough to torch a car. Hate to see the house or garage go with it.

A while back I watched one of those "cops" shows where the fire department and police were called to a house on fire. The distraught friend was explaining that he was fixing his car in his friend's garage messing with the gas tank and it ignited. Very scary to think about.

Hope he gets it resolved peacefully.
914itis
QUOTE(Spoke @ Jan 17 2014, 07:25 PM) *

ohmy.gif

Hopefully he pulled the car out of the garage. It's bad enough to torch a car. Hate to see the house or garage go with it.

A while back I watched one of those "cops" shows where the fire department and police were called to a house on fire. The distraught friend was explaining that he was fixing his car in his friend's garage messing with the gas tank and it ignited. Very scary to think about.

Hope he gets it resolved peacefully.

Thanks, he got it out of the garage and drained the tank completely . It's all safe now.
He got his carpet set today and wanted to start driving over the weekend for the first time.

Oh well!
Triaddave
OK, I was stupid once too. I had the car parked outside in a make shift car port and thought it was a good idea to put some rolled roofing under to keep moisture from coming up... I had a fuel leak. that turned the roofing into a gooey mess and a extreme fire hazard connected to my house. I had to build a 1800 sq.ft. shop to fix it.
ruby914
It is good to see he grabbed a cup before taking the time to take the photo. biggrin.gif
That's a strong stream to be coming out of the tank and hitting the fire wall hole just right.
smoke.gif on 2nd thought don't light that.
blowup.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Jan 17 2014, 07:04 PM) *

fast syphon needed.

though i can not believe the tank is that close to the floor board that it would flow thru itself and thru the floor board so completely. hum

It's touching there....a good square foot or so.
pete000
I drilled into a brake line on my old Corrado once ! I cried !

Measure twice cut once they say !
2mAn
I was changing a fuel pump on my Rabbit (outside in the rain) and I put a towel on the ground so I wasnt laying down on wet concrete. The towel got some fuel on it and when messing with the pump, tightening it down the tool arc'd against the power wire for the pump and the towel caught on fire. I dragged it out into the rain and watched it burn. The HOA wasnt too happy with me lol
worn
QUOTE(914itis @ Jan 17 2014, 01:50 PM) *

headbang.gif

Like they say. Public service done. I tank you from the bottom of my sender.
914itis
Thanks Scotty , I will take you on that offer.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.