Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SOLVED - Question for a D-jetronic FI master / scientist / lover
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cvdmolen
Ok, here it goes. I bought a 914 1970, EU 1.7 D-jetronic. Off course it didn't run. I did some work on the car & engine -> other topic
But I don't get it to run smoot. I'm not an idiot with these engines, now how they love to have no vacuum leaks, valve adjustment etc etc. I've read a whole lot of bowlsby pages and every other article I could find on the net. But she just doesn't run smooth.

What I know for sure:
- valves / adjustment / compression -> OK
- trigger points and adjustment -> OK
- wiring -> OK
- injectors checked -> OK
- tried different Ecu's -> no difference
- tried different MPS -> no difference

What doesn't work:

She starts, but I've the feeling that she runs on 2.5 cilinders.
Lack of power except, sometimes around 2000rpm, she flys
Sometimes she runs good, and all of a sudden, crappy.

Where to start? Anyone nows these symptoms? And NO I don't want a carb!!!!!
JawjaPorsche
Fuel filter? Check plug gap. New plugs? Use NGK, mine ran much better with new plugs. NGK BR5ES Part Number. Good luck. beerchug.gif

Don't even think about carbs! barf.gif
cvdmolen
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Jan 18 2014, 05:55 PM) *

Fuel filter? Check plug gap. New plugs? Use NGK, mine ran much better with new plugs. Good luck. beerchug.gif

There are offcourse new plugs in the engine Bosch W8CC, but good tip! I'll also check the new filter! I haven't triple checked both these parts, as they are new and the fuel pressure is adjusted and OK.

mepstein
check timing
Java2570
When you checked the fuel injectors, did you check them electrically? Did you check their spray patterns? Also, look at the grounds for the injectors....could be the connectors aren't getting good ground due to dirt or looseness. Also, how are the wiring plugs for the injectors themselves? Sometimes they get loose and cause injectors not to fire properly. In addition to the spark plugs, do you have good plug wires and ignition items such as points, condenser, rotor, cap on the dizzy?
Cap'n Krusty
W8CC is the wrong plug, but I doubt that's your problem. W7CC or B6ES are the 2 correct plugs. There are resistor versions, and they're OK, too. I suspect that "OK" wiring harness isn't OK, and that you may have a bad ground. Jeff Bowlsby does a nice job with harnesses.

You don't say you replaced the injector seals, but you need to ensure they're in good condition.

The Cap'n
Bleyseng
also re-check the spark plug wires that they are in the correct order. Gawd, how many times have I gone over to see a bad running engine to see that!
cvdmolen
Tnx for all the good tips guys!
Problem solved: the trigger points in the distributor, one side worked, the other didn't, maybe at higher revs sometimes. Time for new ones smile.gif cleaned them, installed the bracket and *&%*(% Yeah -> smooth testdrive.
About the spark plugs, I'll order the correct ones! I thought as VW man, that they run on the same as the VW's...... W8CC
Grtz from the Netherlands
Cap'n Krusty
Good luck finding new trigger points ................

The Cap'n
bdstone914
I have many good sets of used trigger points. $20 for a set plus shipping.

Bruce
cvdmolen
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jan 20 2014, 10:45 PM) *

I have many good sets of used trigger points. $20 for a set plus shipping.

Bruce

Hi Bruce,
Tnx for the offer. I'll check if I've a spare set somewhere. If not, I know how to find you.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.