Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Weber Carb Hex Bar Linkage
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jandro62
I'm using the Weber Redline hex bar kit
Should the hex bar go towards the front of the car or towards the rear?
So i've been digging through old posts, and it appears that people have done both. It seems like going towards the front of the car puts it close to stuff like the dizzy etc, but with plenty of room towards the rear. Any thoughts?
machina
most run it forward which makes it easy for running the throttle cable. Mine goes to the rear. I like the clean install but right now the stock cable is too short and the cable has a rough feel that makes it hard to modulate.

I am going to order a custom longer cable from terry and see how that works.
jwalters
IPB Image I hate to tell you--but the hex bar link is a pain in the ass- and it does not work as well as it should.

I switched to the Scat industries parrallel link--it is like the ones which originally came with many weber dual conversion kits years ago. It has a center pivot which bolts to the case front and then actuates the carb links along the top of the case--very clean install, and very good looking.

You can not go wrong with this link---with that said

The pivot arms go to the front of the carbs, and you will have to rig up some sort of device to turn the cable 180 degrees out,,,this is because the actuating arm is opening the carbs with a rearward action, instead of just pulling it as you would believe it should.

This was another reason why I went to the scat bar.....good luck
JoeSharpOld
I like the hex bar, been using it for 20 years on t1 and sandrails, Just put one on a 1.8 with solex singles.
Joe
URY914
Sorry, but the center pivot is Mickey Mouse.

Hex bar is the standard. IPB Image
JoeSharpOld
Sorry I frogot the pic
JoeSharpOld
Oh yeah. the stock cable worked out but I had to build a mount for it from some stuf I had laying around. IPB Image
Joe
Kargeek
Mine point to the rear, however depending on the height of the bar pivot stands the arms may get in the way of the trunk torsion bars. I made a cable bracket of the side of the right carb. Stock length cable works fine with no binding.
DH
SirAndy
here's mine. stock cable. works great!
bwilless
The big problem with the center piviot steup is that when the motor heats up it expands, taking the carbs further apart and changing the geometry of your linkage. The hex bars allow for the expansion without changing the geometry.
jandro62
well it looks like this install won't be any different than anything else i've had to do with this car. Buy some parts, scratch my head, curse, do some fabricating, curse a bit more, and think well, ok, i don't know if its supposed to go this way, but it does now!

Thanks for your help y'all.
John
I used to run with the hex bar linkage. At the time it was the best one I had used. I went through all the common ones that were out there way back then. The hex linkage that I used last was from CB Performance (Don't know if CB is still around or not)

Anyway, as I recall, the only problem I had with the linkage was the pivot points. I ended up making a new hex shaft (steel) with tapped ends for bolts with jam nuts (to set length). I then used heim joints at both ends to minimize wear and to provide a nice smooth bearing action to the linkage.

I used a setup like that for around 5 years (but that was 12-17 years ago). My "arms" were forward, but some had them to the rear. My throttle cable was mounted to a self fabricated bracket that bolted to the fan housing.

Sorry, I have no pictures of my old setup IPB Image
Jake Raby
CB linkage is awesome... For a Hex Bar.

Its what I use specifcally.

There are others, but the only center pull arrangement that I have used was hard to adjust and the installer normally needed hand holding and a call to me to get it right- Thats not cool. I avoid the damn phone at all costs!
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Jake Raby @ Jan 3 2005, 10:41 AM)
CB linkage is awesome... For a Hex Bar.

Its what I use specifcally.

There are others, but the only center pull arrangement that I have used was hard to adjust and the installer normally needed hand holding and a call to me to get it right- Thats not cool. I avoid the damn phone at all costs!

IPB Image

its beefy, designed great, and no binding is possible (spring loaded/centered bar)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.