Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I almost just sh*t my pants!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vw_porsche
So, I was driving along in my '74 2.1 liter when I decided to take a hard right corner somewhat fast. As soon as I made the turn a loud tapping/knocking sound started in the engine.
I pushed the clutch in to see if the noise changed with the RPMs, it did. So I thought oh crap, I just lost a valve or something. But after about a min or so it stopped and smoothed out like normal.
I kind of think it has something to do with oil moving to one side of the engine, but that was a BAD sound.
Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Jon
r_towle
Check your oil
gunny
something came loose and the fan sucked it up
vw_porsche
Oil is right on.

I also checked the fan and it was clear.
7TPorsh
cv joints and axles?
vw_porsche
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Jan 22 2014, 04:53 PM) *

cv joints and axles?

No, it was def in the engine. The noise changed with the change in RPMs of the engine.
'73-914kid
Solid or Hydraulic lifters? Stock oil pump?
yeahmag
Check your rock arms/shafts. I've seen everything from broken arms, to bent push rods, to shaft retaining bolts coming loose.
vw_porsche
QUOTE('73-914kid @ Jan 22 2014, 05:16 PM) *

Solid or Hydraulic lifters? Stock oil pump?

solid lifters, stock oil pump
Elliot Cannon
Try taking a hard right turn again, keeping a close eye on oil pressure. Intermittent problems are a pain to fix if they can't be identified. Let us know what you find.
vw_porsche
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jan 22 2014, 06:13 PM) *

Try taking a hard right turn again, keeping a close eye on oil pressure. Intermittent problems are a pain to fix if they can't be identified. Let us know what you find.

I did notice a low oil pressure when the sound happened. As soon as the noise stopped the oil pressure went back up to normal.
76-914
How many miles on that engine? Oil temps normal? Do like Elliot said but turn both ways and watch oil pressure.
yeahmag
Ew... Not good. What's done is done at this point, but it's time to start cutting open oil filters and listening for that noise at hot idle.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Jan 22 2014, 04:27 PM) *

Ew... Not good. What's done is done at this point, but it's time to start cutting open oil filters and listening for that noise at hot idle.

agree.gif Probably true. Drain the oil. Remove the oil filter. Cut it up and look for shiny sparkly bits in the oil. Spread the oil on the back of your hand and take it into the sunlight. If you have a handful of glitter, the engine is toast. Or soon to be.
'73-914kid
The trick here is to go to an automotive paint store and get a paper strainer, drain the oil into the strainer, and look for metallic bits... Sounds like it ran at low oil pressure for a while, so you'll probably see a metallic sheen when the oil comes out.

What weight and brand oil were you running?
vw_porsche
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jan 22 2014, 06:26 PM) *

How many miles on that engine? Oil temps normal? Do like Elliot said but turn both ways and watch oil pressure.

I have around only 3000 miles on the engine.
Oil temp was around 120.
vw_porsche
QUOTE('73-914kid @ Jan 22 2014, 07:10 PM) *

The trick here is to go to an automotive paint store and get a paper strainer, drain the oil into the strainer, and look for metallic bits... Sounds like it ran at low oil pressure for a while, so you'll probably see a metallic sheen when the oil comes out.

What weight and brand oil were you running?

I'm running Valvoline VR1 20W-50.
SLITS
You need a filter cutter. You can't cut the can with a hacksaw as it will make metal bits and screw up the test.

The idea is to cut the top off the filter, remove the fan folded filter media. Cut a vertical wedge out of it ... about 1/4 - 1/3 the diameter.

Place it in a vise, wrapped with shop rags to absorb the oil and squeeze the oil out.

Take the media out of the vice, unwrap it and unfold it. Look in the creases of the media for metal particles. Lots = bad news .... minimal = you may have dodged a bullet.

In the turn, you more than likely heard the rods knocking due to lack of oil pressure.
ConeDodger
Seen the cat lately? sad.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jan 23 2014, 01:21 AM) *

Seen the cat lately? sad.gif

meow...... OMG....BTDT icon8.gif , but not likely on a 914
Dave_Darling
QUOTE('73-914kid @ Jan 22 2014, 05:10 PM) *

The trick here is to go to an automotive paint store and get a paper strainer...

Or a coffee filter.

--DD
CptTripps
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jan 23 2014, 11:01 AM) *

Or a coffee filter.

+100 for that!

I ran all over town trying to find an engine shop open on a sunday, and when I finally found one, they handed me a coffee filter. I felt like an idiot.

Takes a little linger to drain than a paint strainer, but it catches more.
'73-914kid
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jan 23 2014, 08:01 AM) *

QUOTE('73-914kid @ Jan 22 2014, 05:10 PM) *

The trick here is to go to an automotive paint store and get a paper strainer...

Or a coffee filter.

--DD

Didn't even think about that..... good call, use a coffee filter. agree.gif
76-914
were not looking for kidney stones here av-943.gif a red shop rag works too. it will be obvious. did your case halves bolt together effortlessly & did the crank spin freely when reassembled? any oil pressure readings?
vw_porsche
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jan 23 2014, 08:09 PM) *

were not looking for kidney stones here av-943.gif a red shop rag works too. it will be obvious. did your case halves bolt together effortlessly & did the crank spin freely when reassembled? any oil pressure readings?

Yes, the case went together easily. And, I have the proper end play set at .003.

Oil pressure when cold is around 60psi.
With the engine warmed up it's around 40-60psi at speed.
And it idles around 20-30psi.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.