Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: More power for my 1.7
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bzettner
OK, I have a pretty good handle on my ,80 Hp 1.7, EFI. What have some of you 1.7 drivers done to your existing engines and what was the seat of the pants result? Mine is totally stock.

I'm currently thinking of a 1911. Do you run the existing FI? Do you use the stock cam?

Would it be better/easier/more bang for the buck to find a decent 2 liter engine and rebuild (2056)?

Not that I have a budget, but reliability and fun matter and so does cost.

I don't mind a revvy engine. I would enjoy my car "pulling" longer. It signs off rather quickly. I like to "drive" a car rather than rely on gobs of torque and HP (though more than 80 would not be a bad thing). The ability to break the rear end loose with power.

Starting the thinking/dreaming process chowtime.gif
914_teener
2056 with D-jet is your best bang for buck choice.

You can use a lot of the 1.7 parts you already have. IMHO.
Chris Pincetich
I'm having fun with my 1.7, stock D-Jet FI and
1) 12 lb light flywheel = spins up faster
2) high-flow, cold-air intake = sounds louder and faster
3) 4->1 header with 1 5/8" pipes = more power fo real, and sounds louder and faster

With a rebuilt suspension, refreshed transaxle, lots of weight reduction, and sticky street tires I am happy. All these mods will stay if and when I actually do something to the engine.

Cheapest upgrade is lightness. Removing un-needed or unwanted parts, or upgrading to lighter ones (i.e. smaller battery, smaller starter, composite lids etc).

Best purchase was the header. A good header will really wake up any TIV engine. beerchug.gif
Bleyseng
Nah, best bang for the buck is a 2056 with a better cam, Djet etc. 115hp and more torque wakes up a 914 to the car Porsche should've built and sold vs the stock barely 95hp. Gosh, I have had mine for 10 years and its still a f*cking fast car that shocks people who ride along.
Al Meredith
I have one of each. "HAM" built both set of heads. The 2056 has 2.0L heads and the 1911 has 1.8L heads with 2.0 valves , both have HD springs. Mine are both carbed, 44's on the 2056 and 40's on the 1911. All Raby internal parts. Love them both, mostly because of the torque. Keep in mind the difference in the heads is the spark plug location, the tin will be different.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.