Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: "Completely original in every way" ... is it really?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
dlkawashima
This '73 1.7-liter sold recently on ebay for $29,999. First, I'm pleased to see this beautiful car hit almost $30K. I know there are guys on the forum that don't ever want to see the 914/4 climb in price (it's too late for the 914-6). But the early 911 is going through the stratosphere right now, so it seems only natural the 914 would follow suit, albeit at a much slower rate.

The ad says it's "Completely original in every way down to the Michelin ZX Radials that came new on the car."

I know it has a dent, the interior light is cracked, the radio is missing, the deposit box is sitting in the trunk, and the engine bay is in need of TLC, but what about the claim that it's completely original? Specifically,

1. Were Mahle wheels available for the '73 model year?
2. Is the front spoiler correct? It looks like an LE spoiler but was it available as an option in '73?
3. This is an appearance group car, so
a. Is the 3-gauge sport console part of the appearance group?
b. If not, should there be a combo fuel/temp gauge in the instrument cluster?
c. Should there be a padded cover for the center tray?
4. The 914 and the 1.7 emblems are black. The last black '73 I saw had silver emblems. Which color is correct, or does it matter?

Some pictures ...

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

Link to full size pictures:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34047174@N03/...57639667783206/

EDIT: Here is the full description from the ebay ad ...

Not often does an opportunity like this come to market and I 'm pleased to offer this relatively low mileage 1973 Porsche 914. Completely original in every way down to the Michelin ZX Radials that came new on the car, it is in absolutely beautiful condition as it was never driven in the rain, and stored indoors it's entire life. To open the door, a slight vacuum is created from the original door seals operating as if brand new; the car smells as new as the day it was first offered to the public. This 914 is completely original, unmolested, has not been modified, in other words, bone stock.

Here's a brief history on the car:
I recently purchased the car from the second owner (a friend of mine) who owned the car since 1976. He purchased the car when it was three years old having only 18,000 miles on it. The original owner purchased this 914 from Martin Johnson's Porsche dealership in Oakland, CA (a suburb of San Francisco in the East Bay), as a weekend driver. As an Oakland police officer, he rarely used used it accumulating very few weekend miles. Realizing he wasn't able to use it as often as he liked, he offered it for sale in 1976 and my friend purchased the car. It had not even been broken in yet.
My friend brought the vehicle to Hayward, CA (1976), where it remained in a garage until recently (see pic). After a few years of trying to purchase the vehicle, my Dad who has since passed, really wanted to buy the car, having grown up with Porsche 356's in Florida. I recently followed up with my friend, and with new interests (mainly a restored 1939 5 Window Ford Deluxe Coupe) he agreed to sell me the car.
My friend and his father eat, sleep and breathe Volkswagens. His father (deceased) purchased his first VW in 1955, and the love affair with the marque began. Over the past fifty years until 2007, they have been working on and building VW motors for both street and race application. Needless to say, this 914 was well maintained in the short amount of time it was driven. Having only driven it 6,000 miles since he purchased it from the cop, the car was covered and forgotten about as new exciting projects came through the door. Periodically, he would drive the car to cycle the fluids but this only amounted to a minimal amount of miles. The battery tray is perfect, as is the "hell hole" as it was stored without the battery installed to avoid corrosion.
This 914 comes with it's original Porsche Tool Kit and Factory Service record authenticating mileage.

Important: This car is being offered as found. I have never attempted to start the vehicle as it's my opinion that the fuel lines should be replaced. In fact, after this much time, I would replace both the fuel and brake rubber lines although they visually appear to be ok.

Notable Attributes:
~Appearance Group Car- including chrome bumpers, vinyl and aluminum rollbar trim, dual horns, foglamps, cast aluminum wheels, leather steering wheel and shift boot trim, pile carpeting, as well as a center console with an armrest and storage area, and anti-roll bars on 2.0-liter cars.
~Original tool kit
~Factory Porsche 914 Mechanics Manual
~Factory Service log authenticating mileage

Body, Paint, and Chrome:
As a life-long West Coast Porsche from a dry climate, it is as original, straight, and as solid as they come, without accidents or repair of any kind. It has been stored in a heated garage since 1976. All sheet metal is original and straight, having excellent panel fit/gaps throughout. Sporting it's original black paint, which is in overall very good condition it shows minimal wear; a few small scratches here and there having been rubbed against while under a car cover indoors. One thing to note: the front driver side fender was lightly tapped by an engine stand at the bottom of the wheel arch. I chose to leave it rather than fixing it to maintain originality, leaving that decision to the potential new owner. Please see the pictures.
The pan/floor is exceptionally clean and original with factory paint and all original rubber in very good condition.
The engine compartment is clean and correct.
All brightwork is exceptional as is the targa top.
All lenses are excellent originals.
The windshield and glass are excellent.
The boot/luggage compartment is near perfect, original and all zinc coatings on the bolts. No condition issue to note.

Interior:
The entire interior is original and correct. All gauges are functional and working correctly. Again, he interior is near perfect and completely original. It smells brand new.

Wheels and Tires:
The original matched set of Mahle alloys wheels are exceptionally clean and straight. The 914 still sports it original Michelin ZX tires from the factory. 185/15 thin white wall tires are old and hold air but should be replaced.

Summaration:
This 1973 Porsche 914 is a survivor, and with such low miles, pretty rare. It is an extremely original and honest California car, and with no adverse history showing only minimal wear. It has only one minor cosmetic issues as described above. and is a survivor. A good investment grade Porsche due to the low miles, this particular car has a consistent fit and finish throughout and will maintain it's quality for years to come. This 914 is sold with a clear California title and all documentation. To be honest, I'm not sure what the car is worth so I have set a reserve based on a discussions with a few different people involved in the local Porsche scene. I am by no means an expert on these cars or the market

See all photos here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/34047174@N03/...57639667783206/
or click HERE!

Call me anytime to discuss: 510.684.7525
Can arrange immediate delivery from Oakland, Calif. to any major port in Europe at very competitive rates.
Excellent references.
Please contact me directly with any questions, for more info, or pictures before bidding.

Question & Answer

Q: You haven't started it yet you say all the gauges function. How could one tell if the engine wasn't running? Give us a break please! Jan-16-14
A: Hi, Thanks for the snarky comment. The car was started and ran two years ago shortly before I purchased it. At that time all gauges worked perfectly. Since then, I have not started the car nor driven it. By theory of deduction, my guess is that they still operate perfectly. It as after all in like new condition in case you haven't looked at the pictures. Clearly out of your league, feel free not to bid.

Q: FACTORY SWAY BARS FRONT AND REAR? Jan-13-14
A: Hi, Thanks for calling that out. It should read only 2.0L cars had factory sway bars, not this 1.7L.
bdstone914

Wonder there is no battery ?
tod914
That's a mid to late year model 73. Has plastic sills, so the black badges would be correct. As far as correct options, you would need to start with the COA and correspond with the person doing the research to get it correct. They tend to leave out pertinent information. For example, they listed all of the components for appearance group on the Ravenna green car I had, but did not list it as appearance group. Center cushion was an option.
Likely the front spoiler was added. That should be a 74 option. I believe Jeff Bowlby's website lists options, and option codes by year. Mahles were available in 1973. Three gauge console would of been for the 2.0 in 1973. 74 & 75 you could of got it with a 1.8. You can see here that the stick shift boot is different than a console boot.
That is one of the nicest cars I've seen! Fender is a shame, but that can be fixed. The plating and rubber is like new. Amazing car. It certainly has the potential to be a Parade winner.
dlkawashima
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jan 23 2014, 10:02 PM) *

Wonder there is no battery ?

In the first post I added the description from the ebay ad. I meant to do so but forgot ...

Anyway, from the description, the seller writes:

Important: This car is being offered as found. I have never attempted to start the vehicle as it's my opinion that the fuel lines should be replaced. In fact, after this much time, I would replace both the fuel and brake rubber lines although they visually appear to be ok.

So the seller made no attempt to start the car, hence no need for a battery.

carr914
I watched the Auction progress and was amazed that it went that high. The Fender needs to be fixed (Original Paint or Not) and the mechanical work from not being started to cost a bunch. Plus it was a 1.7.

So What is my Low Mileage 73 2.0 Appearance Group worth?
914werke
Is the point of the post to educate, or tear the car/seller down?
It sold correct? So all of this is moot.
If it were me the 1st this I might have done is get a COA to verify how it was supposedly equipped and leverage/market it in the sale.
I for one am pleased to see the continued upward climb of resale value.
Not because it I think Im sitting on a pot o' gold but because it helps me justify all the flippin work I put into my own resto.
dlkawashima
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Jan 24 2014, 11:28 AM) *

Is the point of the post to educate, or tear the car/seller down?
It sold correct? So all of this is moot.

If it's moot, why ask the question? For me, it was education, for the specific questions I asked, nothing more. I was especially interested in the Mahle wheels because I also have a 914 with a June '73 build date, and I had read that my car might have originally been equipped with Mahle wheels, but others have said that the 4-lug Mahles didn't show up till the '74 model year.

So anyway, for me it was eduction, that's it. But if you want to rip into the car, that's your choice .... no one's gonna stop you I'm sure.
mepstein
I might have to rethink my plans on my origional (except for paint) 36K mile car. I guess paying $1,200 wan't too much.
carr914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 24 2014, 08:04 PM) *

I might have to rethink my plans on my origional (except for paint) 36K mile car. I guess paying $1,200 wan't too much.

biggrin.gif
tod914
Mahles available in 1973. http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...wheel_types.htm

They will be listed as M485 Pressure cast alloy wheels 5.5Jx15

https://bowlsby.net/914/CanAm/914LEAuthentication.htm

Get your COA then you won't be guessing.

http://www.porsche.com/usa/accessoriesands...ofauthenticity/

T.C. post some shots of you car! Would love to see it.
carr914
QUOTE(tod914 @ Jan 24 2014, 11:12 PM) *

T.C. post some shots of you car! Would love to see it.

Pictures start on Page 3 of this Thread - The Car is being re-Painted right now - Alaska Blue Metallic. I need to find a FI System (not necessarily to Install, but to have) I thought I had one (in a whole running, but rusty car last month, but the car Sold for $700 before I could get to it. headbang.gif

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...23824&st=40
dlkawashima
QUOTE(tod914 @ Jan 24 2014, 08:12 PM) *

Mahles available in 1973. http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...wheel_types.htm

Thanks Tod. I might have been mixing up the steel Sport rims and the Mahles. It's good to know the Mahles were available in '73. Do you know if the Sport (Lemmerz) rims were the ones that were introduced for the '74 model year?

I know I should get a COA, but one question: does a COA cover what a dealer might have installed and/or removed from the car before it was sold?
JeffBowlsby
Yes, 1974 on the sport steel wheels. No, on the dealer items on the COA.
carr914
QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Jan 26 2014, 09:15 PM) *

QUOTE(tod914 @ Jan 24 2014, 08:12 PM) *

Thanks Tod. I might have been mixing up the steel Sport rims and the Mahles. It's good to know the Mahles were available in '73. Do you if the Sport (Lemmerz) rims were the ones that were introduced for the '74 model year?

I know I should get a COA, but one question: does a COA cover what a dealer might have installed and/or removed from the car before it was sold?

You'll be lucky if a CoA tells you it's a 914, not a 944! I'll never buy another CoA again - they couldn't identify my "Real" 74 Euro Carrera as a Carrera, the gave me the wrong Interior Code on my 914-6 and even when I proved to them, they would not change the CoA.
sixnotfour
no matter what options, condition condition condition...is what counts....that is deposit box not a gauge console..and may not have the temp gauge.
rare Blk

that is a nice 914

I take all the deposit boxes out, as for me they get in the way..
tod914
Dave, here's the link for the COA discussion we had on my past car. Like TC stated, they aren't 100% accurate. From what I recall, the original Kardex's are in Germany. The women who was doing my COA here in the states, had to contact them to verify some information. I'm sure if I spent another week with her on the phone, we could of had all of the original information off the Kardex put onto the COA.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=200353&hl=
Pat Garvey
This a pretty sweet 914. Worth some extra money to the right person, but not THAT much. That is a really weird dent in the fender, and it would render it non-compliant in the preservation arena after repair.

Still, worth extra money.
dlkawashima
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jan 26 2014, 09:00 PM) *

no matter what options, condition condition condition...is what counts....

Condition is definitely the biggest factor, but I think there's more going on here ...

Now that I've been schooled on how original this car is (including the rare, factory black paint), originality obviously has a huge influence on a car's ultimate value.

And I believe there's a third factor, one less often mentioned but clearly an influence. The other 914/4's that have broken the magical $30K barrier (this one was just a dollar shy), have all been ultra low mileage cars: tod914's '74 ravenna green 2-liter with only 17,000 miles, the '75 yellow 1.8 with only 2,900 miles, and the '75 berber yellow 2-liter with only 12,000 miles (actually the asking price was $32K).

Remember the '70 green 1.7 with only 22,000 miles?
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...220912&st=0

That car, while not in perfect condition, certainly was in good enough condition to warrant people's estimates of a value right around or even a bit more than $30K.

Condition, originality, AND mileage.

DblDog
...the original owner purchased this 914 from Martin Johnson's Porsche dealership in Oakland, CA (a suburb of San Francisco in the East Bay), as a weekend driver.

Oakland...is it really a suburb of San Francisco? Bet there's a few ppl in SF who would like to discuss the matter!!!!
SirAndy
QUOTE(DblDog @ Mar 6 2014, 04:18 PM) *
...the original owner purchased this 914 from Martin Johnson's Porsche dealership in Oakland, CA (a suburb of San Francisco in the East Bay), as a weekend driver.

Oakland...is it really a suburb of San Francisco? Bet there's a few ppl in SF who would like to discuss the matter!!!!

agree.gif

Considering that most people from SF are scared to even drive over here ...
laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.