Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Conversion Project Oil Tank Installation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
earossi
Getting ready to do a six conversion and would like to have the holes punched out for the oil tank prior to having the car painted. Though I've read that there is a hole template available, I have not been able to find it on this site or by searching the internet.

I understand that dimples for the center of each hole are stamped into all 914's, but have also heard that there may be at least one hole not accounted for with a dimple. And, of course, knowing where the holes go is only part of the story. One needs to know the size of the holes as well. I will be using the OEM tank for this project.

Can someone provide information on where to find the information I am seeking?
ConeDodger
There is a stamping for the holes. A raised surface, but I wouldn't say a dimple for the centers. Original Customs has a computer file they print and use each time they do a conversion. You could ask McMark for a copy. Automobile Atlanta has a booklet they sell, which has gotten quite dated that has an insert with a template. The booklet is basically complete but when it was written, there were no 3.2, 3.6 options...
earossi
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jan 25 2014, 06:23 AM) *

There is a stamping for the holes. A raised surface, but I wouldn't say a dimple for the centers. Original Customs has a computer file they print and use each time they do a conversion. You could ask McMark for a copy. Automobile Atlanta has a booklet they sell, which has gotten quite dated that has an insert with a template. The booklet is basically complete but when it was written, there were no 3.2, 3.6 options...

Thanks for the leads. I'll follow up on them.
ConeDodger
I just saw your post count. I should explain, McMark is a member and admin here. You could PM him through the site, or, he owns Original Customs, a restoration shop with a banner ad in the rotation at the top of the page.

In the last few pages of my thread, you'll see me use McMark's template method to cut the holes. (if you're a visual learner) go to 'just another damned project thread' and take a look...
914itis
If you are using a factory or Patrick motorsports tank , just center the holes on the stamping. If you are using velios tank, the hole for the bolt closer to the trunk does not match the stamp.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.