Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How To - 914 Adjustable Rear Coil Overs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tomeric914
I was looking for details on the interwebs on coil overs with helper springs in particular for the Porsche 914 and found not much at all. There was something pretty close on an Audi forum, but not close enough. I was looking for a cost effective coil over setup that works and found http://shop.a1racing.com who had everything I needed at a decent price.

Zero rate helper spring keep the main spring pressed against its perches when jacking up the vehicle or any time the suspension is fully extended. These helpers are usually needed when running a spring rate higher than 150 pounds (in a 914), otherwise the back end of the car will be too high.

Below is a parts list, visual parts list, and video of how it all goes together. The part numbers listed are specific to A-1 Racing's website.

This is one of many ways to get to an easily adjustable suspension setup. Main spring rate will depend on your driving style and intentions for your car.

Note that part numbers BRP597 and 12460 have been modified slightly to allow for full compression of the helper spring. If not modified, the floater will contact the adjusting nut before the helper spring is fully compressed causing all of the force from the main spring to press against the thin aluminum coupler. The coupler will fail.

The floater / coupler does go on the bottom. Otherwise, the helper and main spring will have no lateral support.

As with any modification, proceed with caution. If you don't know what you're doing, STOP and find someone who does. bye1.gif

Parts List:

12456 - Threaded Coil Over Sleeve 7" (qty 2)
12460 - 2-1/2" Coil Over Adjusting Nut (qty 2)
12470 - 2-1/2" Non-Slotted Coil Over Top Hat (qty 2)
BRP597 - Coil Over Spring Floater / Coupler (qty 2)
PROZ902 - Coil Over Adjustment Wrench (qty 1)
HYPCS100 - Hypercoil Zero Rate Helper Spring (qty 2)
HYP1810B - Hypercoil Main Spring (qty 2) - you must select the spring load

Click to view attachment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGIrZ1sJVdc
mrbubblehead
awsome. i added up all the parts and it came out to 310 bucks. now, what about the fronts???? popcorn[1].gif
mrbubblehead
735 bucks at elephant.
Starlack
Hello and good day
I'm interested in the Coil Cover parts.

Is there also a ADJUSTING NUT for series springs?
Woody
Check out Rebel Racing. That's where I bought mine from and am very satisfied.
tomeric914
QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Jan 26 2014, 01:17 AM) *

...what about the fronts???? popcorn[1].gif

The fronts can be done with a different set of parts from A-1 and a little fabrication. When you fabricate yours, post up a similar parts list and video!
Cupomeat
Nicely done Tom!

Thanks
kid914
Can you post pics of them installed?

I would love to see the stance before I order.
Thanks for the nice write-up and lists with part#'s and video, along with the web site info. beerchug.gif
first.gif
tomeric914
QUOTE(kid914 @ Jan 26 2014, 12:00 PM) *

I would love to see the stance before I order.

You're welcome! The beauty behind fully adjustable coil overs is that you can set the height to pretty much anything you want, within reason.

I'm using 200 lb springs which works for my setup in particular. I would NOT suggest 200 lb springs with an otherwise stock suspension.
Starlack
Hello
I read here in the springs, the designation 2-1/2 ID.
What does this designation. Can you convert this name in cm?
Harpo
About 63.5mm = 6.35cm
Starlack
QUOTE(Harpo @ Jan 26 2014, 10:36 AM) *

About 63.5mm = 6.35cm

Thank you.

Ok so the 2-1/2 is the indication in "Zoll" or inches
mrbubblehead
QUOTE(Starlack @ Jan 26 2014, 10:52 AM) *

QUOTE(Harpo @ Jan 26 2014, 10:36 AM) *

About 63.5mm = 6.35cm

Thank you.

Ok so the 2-1/2 is the indication in "Zoll" or inches

2-1/2 ID...... ID= inside diameter
63.5mm ID
tomeric914
A couple of other details:

- The top hat center hole diameter is roughly 14.5mm which allows it to "float" on the shock absorber piston rod. Some choose not to run helper springs and zip tie or safety wire the spring to the top hat. There are two holes through the top hat specifically for the purpose of wiring the spring to it.

- Once the bottom adjustment nut is set to your liking, there is a nylon tipped set screw that holds the adjustment. Time will tell how well this holds up. Other designs use a split adjustment nut that has a means of tightening the diameter of the nut to the threaded sleeve.

- The body diameter of the Bilstein is 1.975" by my measurement or roughly 50mm. The ID of the threaded sleeve that slips over the shock is 1.993".

- The outer diameter at the circlip on the shock is 2.09" by my measurement. This fits nicely inside the recess of the threaded sleeve which is 2.10". That recess is only on one side of the sleeve for a depth of .590".

- Total travel of the Bilstein rear shock specific to the 914 is roughly 8".
3d914
Excellent job Tom, thanks for all the details.

This is a good alternative to fully adjustable Bilsteins.
Which Bilsteins are you using and what drove your choice of the 200# springs?
tomeric914
QUOTE(3d914 @ Jan 26 2014, 05:37 PM) *

Which Bilsteins are you using and what drove your choice of the 200# springs?

Thanks Gerard and Scotty.

I had 180 progressives and 21mm torsion bars up front so I bumped it up to 200 lb springs. I was going to go to 225 lb but wanted to stick with something close to what I have now. The car is mainly set up for DEs, hence the higher spring rate. The ride is stiff, but not unbearable.

The Bilsteins are the standard off the shelf variety for 914. If I go much higher than 200 lbs springs, I'll need to get into revalved shocks.

The coil overs came into play for a little weight savings and to get the rear lowered down.
kid914
Would you be able to post pics of the stance? first.gif
tomeric914
QUOTE(kid914 @ Feb 10 2014, 10:01 PM) *

Would you be able to post pics of the stance? first.gif

The stance can be anything you want it to be within reason and within the adjustment sleeve which is 7" long. Still working on the car so no pictures just yet.
Mark Henry
Six years old but a good how to, the vid and DYI is very well done and deserves a bump.
I just priced it out so i thought I would share, for the above parts as of 2020, a1racing.com, soup to nuts is $308 plus $10 for the wrench.
CptTripps
Bumping an old topic, but does anyone have experience with this kit? (Good, or Bad)

http://www.autoatlanta.com/Porsche-Rear-Co...RSRRCOK914.html
mlindner
I went with Ground Control, great product for 914s and service and price to match. Best, MarkClick to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.