Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Air Filter Assy
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
martinef1963
I have an air filter assy like the one shown below. The assy I have even gives an element # for filter replacement, however, when I took it to a couple of auto parts store - they can't cross reference.

Can anyone of you, well educated 914 vets, help this newbie out?

much thanks. IPB Image
Dave_Darling
Now that is an odd way to frame the photo.

Tough to tell from that size pic, but it looks a lot like a stock pre-73 oil bath air cleaner to me. No paper element at all.

--DD
gklinger
It looks like a replaceable paper filter assembly to me. IPB Image If it is a paper unit, I had no luck finding one locally, and ended up ordering one from Pelican...
TheCabinetmaker
After getting out my large magnifying glass, I believe DD is correct. Pre 73, 1.7, oil bath air cleaner. No filter needed. Just clean out and fill with oil to the mark, or find a 73 assy.
DJsRepS
Looks oily to me I. I lost mine to the parts bin. This one makes more noise but I like it much better. Orignal intake boot.
TheCabinetmaker
DJ, GET SOME NEW PICTURES!
Joe Ricard
QUOTE (vsg914 @ Jan 4 2005, 04:51 AM)
DJ, GET SOME NEW PICTURES!

and clean up that engine compartment. IPB Image

The oil bath looks a little different from my 70 1.7L filter assembly. There is a filter sort of thing in the oil bath canister. Don't try and take it out you can spry it with carb cleaner and let it dry then fill it with oil and let it it be. I thought it worked well but kinda puked oil when I Autocrossed the car.
STL914
Dave is correct. That picture is from an eBay add that was running last week. The seller described it as an oil bath filter from his 73. By the way, it did not sell. Had zero bids even with a $9.14 starting price.
Rgreen914
Looks an awful lot like a '73 (paper element) housing with the top rotated about 100 degrees too far!

Ron
Flat VW
How often should one service the oil bath style air cleaner? IPB Image

I suppose any type oil would do? IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.