914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
McMark
Just for fun... evilgrin.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbl0s0SUPEA
ConeDodger
Cool! Are those M and S gears? happy11.gif
ndfrigi
QUOTE(McMark @ Jan 27 2014, 05:14 PM) *

Hi McMark, is that axle scratching at the exhaust pipe? just wondering!
McMark
Yeah, the axle just kisses the lower exhaust mount bolt. I just need a shorter bolt.
r_towle
cool, now you need to wipe all the oil mist of the camera....
oldschool
Way cool Mark, I need to make up to your place a shoot a cool vid of you and that car some time. beerchug.gif
Elliot Cannon
Whoever held that camera did a great job. laugh.gif
aircooledtechguy
That's very cool indeed!!

When my shop-car is finished and on the road, I want to shoot with 2 or more cameras and edit it so you have a suspension-cam in a smaller window on the screen as you see a fwd view.

I love the mechanical-ness if that angle. Next time mount it on the other side so we can see the gear changes too!! driving.gif

beerchug.gif
computers4kids
Two things:
1: Cool Video, way cool actually
2: Mark, you really have too much free time on your hands biggrin.gif
McMark
HA! Made the GoPro mount in about 2min and shot the video on the way to lunch. In my 'free time' I laid up two large fiberglass pieces for an oil cooler shroud, powder coated some trailing arms, bodyworked the third piece of the oil cooler shroud, installed an amplifier, quoted a 911 engine rebuild, a Type 4 rebuild and a BMW E36 engine rebuild and helped Jeff S. with his six conversion. w00t2.gif w00t1.gif Jumpy.gif
914_teener
Was that detonation "run on" at the end?

Very cool. Wish I had that kind of "free time".
oldschool
QUOTE(McMark @ Jan 27 2014, 09:14 PM) *

HA! Made the GoPro mount in about 2min and shot the video on the way to lunch. In my 'free time' I laid up two large fiberglass pieces for an oil cooler shroud, powder coated some trailing arms, bodyworked the third piece of the oil cooler shroud, installed an amplifier, quoted a 911 engine rebuild, a Type 4 rebuild and a BMW E36 engine rebuild and helped Jeff S. with his six conversion. w00t2.gif w00t1.gif Jumpy.gif

Starbucks lol-2.gif
McMark
QUOTE(oldschool @ Jan 27 2014, 09:45 PM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ Jan 27 2014, 09:14 PM) *

Starbucks lol-2.gif

icon8.gif

Coffee - Yes. Napa has a great local roasting shop.
Starbucks - Never. My employee used to get me his favorite drink. Some triple shot whatever. It had a distinct flavor of crap. No thanks. av-943.gif
euro911
QUOTE(McMark @ Jan 27 2014, 11:41 PM) *
It had a distinct flavor of crap. ...
And you know this, how? stromberg.gif

poke.gif
McMark
tongue.gif

To elaborate: It had a distinct flavor that reminded me of the smell of crap.

slap.gif alfred.gif coffee.gif
eyesright
I was noticing the trans mount flex during shifts/acceleration in the early part of the video. Then the camera position changed. Does that appear to be a standard 914 mount and would the solid 911 mount be more rigid?

Thanks for the video. That was interesting.
jimkelly
enjoyable vid smile.gif

I nominate this car, as car of the year, 2013 first.gif

also, it looks like mark got himself some HEAT
bandjoey
Had no idea the suspension moved so much. Also loved the tin knocking sound at the very end. Things falling off? beerchug.gif
Thirdly this is a great diagnostic tool looks like. Movies of moving parts.
Randal
QUOTE(McMark @ Jan 27 2014, 05:14 PM) *

Cool video Mark. Was waiting for the 6K hit....

Take 2?

Never seen how the suspension works. It'd be fun watching a big pair of slicks under corner load.
worn
QUOTE(McMark @ Jan 27 2014, 10:41 PM) *

Coffee - Yes. Napa has a great local roasting shop.
Starbucks - Never. My employee used to get me his favorite drink. Some triple shot whatever. It had a distinct flavor of crap. No thanks. av-943.gif

Well Napa has a lot of tasty products. Which makes me wonder why the hell are you working so hard? poke.gif
McMark
QUOTE(eyesright @ Jan 28 2014, 06:47 AM) *

I was noticing the trans mount flex during shifts/acceleration in the early part of the video. Then the camera position changed.

The GoPro was mounted on a strong magnet. Mine came from a dial indicator setup. The base portion has a M8x1.25 thread. So I welded a small bolt to the bottom of a plate and threaded that in place. Then used one of the GoPro stick on mounts. I also drilled the plate for a backup safety wire so I wouldn't see the GoPro bouncing into the gutter out the rearview mirror.

For this video I just stuck the magnet to my muffler, and under acceleration it just shifted backwards until it hit the raised edge.

QUOTE(eyesright @ Jan 28 2014, 06:47 AM) *

Does that appear to be a standard 914 mount and would the solid 911 mount be more rigid?

The 911 mounts are supposed to be more rigid. I might have to do some testing. >:)

Also loved the tin knocking sound at the very end. Things falling off?

Exhaust cooling contractions. The catalytic converter on your newer car makes the same noise as it cools off. I've never heard my 914 do that until this video, so it's rather quiet, except on the video.

Never seen how the suspension works. It'd be fun watching a big pair of slicks under corner load.

Definitely Randal. This opens up a lot of fun options. Rob (ConeDodger) and I just bought a chassis to build a race car and after this I can see welding in camera mounts in various locations for diagnostic and research purposed. idea.gif
jimkelly
your internal gopro settings should let you set your video capture at 1080p.

should be slightly better resolution vs 720p

jim
McMark
Hmmm... The original is 1080 on my computer. confused24.gif Maybe something about rotating the video.
Randal
QUOTE(McMark @ Jan 28 2014, 09:08 AM) *

Hmmm... The original is 1080 on my computer. confused24.gif Maybe something about rotating the video.

XD1080's look to work nice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxbYuoTQdFw
CptTripps
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Jan 28 2014, 11:23 AM) *

Had no idea the suspension moved so much.

That was my first reaction too. VERY cool!
jimkelly
seems like my computer has recently begun to limit youtube res at 720p. odd?

seems like a known problem, I see.
http://www.networkedmediatank.com/showthread.php?tid=68728
McMark
Made another one. The body sheet metal isn't thick enough to support the weight of the camera. It ended up testing the safety strap. laugh.gif

Randal this one includes a 1st-3rd 6000 RPM run. It also includes twisty mountain corners, you just can't see them because the camera is flopping around. dry.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPxGYSD4uFY
ConeDodger
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Jan 28 2014, 08:23 AM) *

Had no idea the suspension moved so much. Also loved the tin knocking sound at the very end. Things falling off? beerchug.gif

This is why the bushing replacements like McMark's needle bushings and the Elephant Bushings make such a dramatic difference. When there is no stiction in the suspension the trailing arms and A arms move freely allowing good shocks to do a good job. This allows you to go much stiffer with the torsion bars and rear springs without feeling like you're riding on rails.

This is a really good diagnostic tool Mark. Between your GoPro and my two GoPro's we should be able to shoot some footage... evilgrin.gif
Madswede
Both videos are way cool, but that last one rocked! Loved the free-flying GoPro, hanging on by a prayer and a safety strap! laugh.gif
Trekkor
I liked it, too.
r_towle
you should make a bracket that bolts onto the muffler hanger bracket...something you can leave in place and bolt down the camera...

Rich
euro911
Seems like some sort of isolation dampening would filter the audio a bit too. When hanging in free-space, you weren't picking up so much transmitted vibration.

... and now I know how a set of dingle-balls sees life hanging from a hitch receiver rolleyes.gif
Krieger
Very cool. A new diagnostic tool. I kept watching that white wire to see how much it would move in the slipstream. Not much air flow right there. I don't know how fast you were going. I was thinking of airflow for an oil cooler.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jan 29 2014, 04:33 PM) *

Seems like some sort of isolation dampening would filter the audio a bit too. When hanging in free-space, you weren't picking up so much transmitted vibration.

... and now I know how a set of dingle-balls sees life hanging from a hitch receiver rolleyes.gif

lol-2.gif av-943.gif
McMark
I don't know how fast you were going.

I probably hit around 70 at the end of my hard acceleration. I would have looked, but my speedo cable broke last week. Can't these old cars ever stop fighting back. laugh.gif
Trekkor
QUOTE(Krieger @ Jan 29 2014, 05:57 PM) *

Very cool. A new diagnostic tool. I kept watching that white wire to see how much it would move in the slipstream. Not much air flow right there. I don't know how fast you were going. I was thinking of airflow for an oil cooler.

Yes, attaching strands of yarn or string all around the underside to show the airflow under different conditions would be very useful.

McMark
Oooh! Good idea! shades.gif
euro911
popcorn[1].gif
Randal
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jan 29 2014, 10:39 AM) *

QUOTE(bandjoey @ Jan 28 2014, 08:23 AM) *

This is why the bushing replacements like McMark's needle bushings and the Elephant Bushings make such a dramatic difference. When there is no stiction in the suspension the trailing arms and A arms move freely allowing good shocks to do a good job. This allows you to go much stiffer with the torsion bars and rear springs without feeling like you're riding on rails.

This is a really good diagnostic tool Mark. Between your GoPro and my two GoPro's we should be able to shoot some footage... evilgrin.gif

Needle bearing mounting for the trailing arms does make a big difference. I was surprised but you can feel it right away and the handling was substantially improved.
Randal
QUOTE(McMark @ Jan 29 2014, 10:24 AM) *

Made another one. The body sheet metal isn't thick enough to support the weight of the camera. It ended up testing the safety strap. laugh.gif

Randal this one includes a 1st-3rd 6000 RPM run. It also includes twisty mountain corners, you just can't see them because the camera is flopping around. dry.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPxGYSD4uFY

Great video Mark. Never thought about it, but I have the perfect platform for taking a video, i.e., no trunk floor. biggrin.gif
jaxdream
Are the cup washers missing from the top of the tranny ears ??? unsure.gif
Damn cool way to see what's going on down under !!! This is a great use of a Go Pro !!! piratenanner.gif

Jack
wes
Very cool, both runs!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.