Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: a little d jet help here
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nickg
ok, my 76 2.0 car is acting up a bit. here is the problem
starts perfect...even at 0 degrees here.
if you take up the slack on the throttle cable, just as it comes to pick up the throttle, it pos and stumbles. if you open the throttle it goes away
so i go on pelican and adjust the throttle switch as per the instructions....i notice the throttle body is a bit sticky, the shaft is a bit worn. i found the switch was very difficult to adjust...it has a lot of adjustment @0 ohms
so i set it per the tech article, install it and it fires right up to a 2000 rpm idle.....i tried adjusting it down to no avail. so i tinker the switch a bit (unplugging it causes the car to run real rough)and it settles down. now if i take the slack out of the cable...it gets to where the throttle just cracks and it revs right up...it basically blips itself to about 1800-2200...but then settles right back to idle if i let off the throttle pedal....should it be that sensitive? the car has a pertronix(which sucks because i just bought one...anyone need an extra?) the vacumm lines look to be ok...even pretty new i have the factory manuals on cd but they are crap for fi diagnosis....they use a break out tool and don't list specs that i saw. i did not set up the timing light, i am going to change the plugs and wires first...any suggestions?
StratPlayer
I would check out this site it may be able to help you

http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/djetparts.htm
Joe Bob
Sounds as if the TPS is worn out.....happens on cars that are a few years old.... IPB Image
r_towle
I would remove and clean both the TPS and the throttle body.

Take the throttle body apart and dunk it in aluminum friendly carb cleaner...

Sounds like you have a stick thingy somewhere...

Rich
nickg
i cleaned the crap out of the t body and swapped the switch internal paths down...i looked over the site and it is a biyt vague...i think i will buy the switch and a new set of injector points....
Mueller
do you have a lot of play in the throttle body shaft?
Joe Bob
QUOTE (nickg @ Jan 3 2005, 03:03 PM)
i cleaned the crap out of the t body and swapped the switch internal paths down...i looked over the site and it is a biyt vague...i think i will buy the switch and a new set of injector points....

Do one thing at a time...injector points wear out less often....and if you buy them and the originals are good...you now have a spare....
Mueller
QUOTE (mikez @ Jan 3 2005, 04:49 PM)

Do one thing at a time...injector points wear out less often....and if you buy them and the originals are good...you now have a spare....

I measured a set of the trigger points over the weekend while testing my D-Jet specific Mallory distributor...the circuit has less than .01 milliamps going thru the contact breaker, that is why they last so long....
r_towle
QUOTE (Mueller @ Jan 3 2005, 03:55 PM)

I measured a set of the trigger points over the weekend while testing my D-Jet specific Mallory distributor...the circuit has less than .01 milliamps going thru the contact breaker, that is why they last so long....

Done yet???

Rich
Mueller
QUOTE (r_towle @ Jan 3 2005, 05:42 PM)
QUOTE (Mueller @ Jan 3 2005, 03:55 PM)

Done yet???

Rich

getting there...just waiting for Digikey for my new parts....

D-Jet Optical trigger point conversion

(sorry for the hyjack Nick IPB Image )
nickg
that's ok...i think i will try to find aother t body to start with...i can get the trigger pts for $59...so i figured what the heck, alot of the basic stuuff is dirt cheap for these so
John
There used to be a guy that refurbished 914 throttle valves. I have never used him, but his pictures looked good

Southern Knight Machining

I'm guessing it is a combination between a sticky throttle valve shaft and a potentially dirty/worn TPS.

just my $0.02
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.