Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1.7 rebuild - recommended upgrades
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
advtracing
Rebuilding a 1.7ltr and want to do some upgrades to make more power and torque .
so i need a recommendation for new pistons and barrels that slip fit the 1.7ltr case and cams to suit for better torque curve .
i manly do 911 engines so this is outside my knowledge.
also engine runs on weber carbs
r_towle
European motorwerks.

Californian type 4 engine parts, machine shop, and decent advice.

The heads are your limitation, so if you can get a set of 1.8 or 2.0 liter heads, then think about building a bigger motor.

1.7 heads flow ok, but you can do more with the other two heads.
advtracing
i have a set of new heads that came with the car ( the guy brought them when he parked the car up 28 years ago) but the boxes do not advise what they are , so i am just getting them measured
Dave_Darling
96mm cylinders will fit the case, no problem. They will not fit the 1.7 liter heads, though, so you will need to get those cut to open up the area where the cylinders seal.

(Note: There are 96mm cylinders that fit the 1.7 heads, but they are rather thin and not highly regarded for longevity.)

Heads (ports, valves, etc.) and cam will have the most influence on power and torque curves. Best to get the heads done by someone who knows Type IV engines specifically, and work with them on the cam selection as well. I don't know how much of an option that is for you in NZ, though.

--DD
advtracing
Here is the details on the box the heads are in , doesn'tmean alot to me but sure you guys will advise
914_teener
It would tell a lot more if you just took pictures of the ports on the heads or the numbers on the heads.
advtracing
Here u go
advtracing
Bump for info
sportlicherFahrer
Googled the VW number you have (021.101.371Q) and came up with possibly '74ish Bus 1.8L heads. Another site HERE says 1.7L with valve sizes that you may be able to reference.
914_teener
The money shot is of the ports.
advtracing
Ok port /exhurst and more numbers . Intake ports are 33mm approx
914_teener
Those look to be 1.7 rebuilt 914 heads...
.and if that is the original box.....by an industrial warehouse rebuilder on Mexico.
HAM Inc
They are 1.7 heads.

If they really are BAP exchange heads run away, run away.
advtracing
so sell these and get a new set? who has a set of uprated rebuilt heads to sell
914_teener
One of the better builders here in the States just commented ........HAM......your call but I wouldnt put those on my car.
914_teener
......at least of that box....have somebody who knows what they are doing look at them. As you may know the valve guides and seats can be a problem.
advtracing
QUOTE(914_teener @ Jan 30 2014, 02:43 PM) *

......at least of that box....have somebody who knows what they are doing look at them. As you may know the valve guides and seats can be a problem.

i will but no chances , easier to sell them pay a bit more for good product. do it once do it right
Al Meredith
Look at the exhaust ports, there is plenty of meat you can remove. Install a copper exhaust gasket and look at how much metal you can remove to "match port" . Al
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.