Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: what is that smell ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ELLIOTT
Ok this is what I know and its not much at this time . I took the car out for a drive and about 15 miles in to it with speeds up to 60 I started to smell something burning so I pull over and look around and sniff here and there and felt the wheels for a possible heated bearing but no dice. The smell seams to be fairly strong in the interior but it does not smell like electrical, but more like " burnt popcorn" . At first it would smell only or I only noticed it if I hit 60mph so I kept it below on the way back home. Took it out again for a quick 3 mile drive and I get the smell @ 30 mph and only 1 mile in to the run. Maybe its the clutch ? Seams like I dont get quite the pull from 3rd. So what does a burning clutch smell like?

thanks
Elliott
Jeffs9146
Is your clutch slipping?

Sounds like gear oil on the clutch! confused24.gif

I guess it could be one of the trans seals leaking on the exhaust!
SLITS
Alternator belt would smell like burning rubber.

Probably oil burning off your heat exchangers or other engine parts.

Did you have the top off or windows down while driving? If so, a lo pressure area would be created in the cockpit and fumes from the engine compartment would be pulled in thru the heating system if the flapper valves were not sealing correctly.

If the clutch was slipping, you would see a rise in rpm as you stepped on the gas with minimal movement of the car. It would smell like overheated brakes. Start the car, put it in 4th gear with handbrake on, elevate the rpm to about 1500 - 2K rpm and let the clutch out. If the engine dies, you are probably good.

Squirrels or rats deposited corn in your heat exchangers so they could have popcorn too!.
ELLIOTT
ha ha had a mouse in the front trunk before and I do have a bag of corn sitting there about 5 feet from the car and the shop is not impervious to critters so maybe.
Eric_Shea
I was thinking the same thing. Rodent stash.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.