Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: anyone fitted power steering to a 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
returf
Has anyone fitted power steering to their 914? if so what rack did you use?
mepstein
Why? Unless you put monster tires on the front, 914 steering is light and precise. I would check over all front suspension and possible overhaul the steering rack if you're having steering issues.
wndsrfr
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 29 2014, 04:44 AM) *

Why? Unless you put monster tires on the front, 914 steering is light and precise. I would check over all front suspension and possible overhaul the steering rack if you're having steering issues.

agree.gif
Take a quick look at your caster setting....makes a big difference if its excessive.
dlestep
Isn't that like, ...ugh, leather toilet paper ?
76-914
Maybe a one armed driver or an electric 914 with a trunk full of batteries. Otherwise agree.gif with the others.
914GT
Here's a V8 conversion fitted with a power steering rack, as well as power brakes. There are a few pictures of the underside of the car and the power steering pump.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2303120/1975.../photo-gallery/

Guy T.
stugray
If you really wanted to retrofit PS to a 914, look into the Subaru BRZ steering system.

It is electric and all of the motor & support equipment is in the steering column. No fluids, or pumps required.
There have been a LOT of totaled BRZs/FR-Ss so an entire steering column can probably be found cheap.
dlkawashima
Thread in the Paddock ... http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=210814
CptTripps
Power Brakes: I can see that being useful.

Power Steering: Unless you're running real wide slicks, I can't see a lot of people needing it.

End of the day: With enough time/money, anything is possible.
euro911
QUOTE(stugray @ Jan 29 2014, 11:43 AM) *
If you really wanted to retrofit PS to a 914, look into the Subaru BRZ steering system.

It is electric and all of the motor & support equipment is in the steering column. No fluids, or pumps required.
There have been a LOT of totaled BRZs/FR-Ss so an entire steering column can probably be found cheap.
Hmmm ... makes one wonder why there are so many 'totaled' laugh.gif
stugray
Hmmm ... makes one wonder why there are so many 'totaled'

Maybe it is because they are marketing a mid $20k car to teenagers that has one of the best power to weight ratios of any car in it's class.
The electric PS only "assists" at certain times.
It is still a direct link to the rack & pinion so could be retrofitted to other systems fairly easily.
r_towle
The Prius steering system could be made to work.
There are other electric motors out there, just need to fabricate up a new steering linkage.

Otherwise, same thing I told Randal...go to the gym, its cheaper.
Larger steering wheel helps
Proper seat orientation also helps...
All of our cars have the wrong seating position for race driving....so look at the ergonomics.
rich
euro911
You missed my sarcasm

I'm old school ... I like metal rods and gears in my steering, and metal rods or cables for my throttle control, not a microsoft windows app shades.gif
r3dplanet
Just want to point out that the Mazda Miata also uses electric power steering. They're at least as dependable as hydraulic power steering, probably more. The only problem is that the electrics are hooked into the onboard computers so it isn't like you can just pull one from a junk yard and hook it up. FYI.

-marcus
Mike Bellis
Looks like a cool build...

Click to view attachment
Andyrew
QUOTE(CptTripps @ Jan 29 2014, 11:07 AM) *

Power Brakes: I can see that being useful.

Power Steering: Unless you're running real wide slicks, I can't see a lot of people needing it.

End of the day: With enough time/money, anything is possible.

^ This..

Power ABS brakes would be a godsend in the 914. Power steering? Meh, you couldnt tell a difference.

255's up front and no issues... Slicks in a parking lot might be another story, but seriously its no heavier than any of my power steering cars.
BIGKAT_83
Do a search here. Driveablity did a Toyota electric power steering converion on his SBC owered car.
Dr Evil
FYI, Mini Coopers have an electric motor driven hydraulic pump that would likely easily transplant. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.