Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wheels and tires, tires and wheels?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Big Len
Gentlemen;

I am posting this at the risk of seeming like a lazy ass, but I assure you I have tried to search many other sites and threads within 914World including tech articles. There must be threads on the subject, I just can't find them. I'm still not sure, so here goes.

I have a stock '74 with steelies and want to expand my wheel choices. The car will not be a daily driver nor an autocrosser, just for weekends. After looking at members pictures and PMing a few, I like the look of a black center (5 spoke Fuchs or BBS type mesh with a polished lip). I just received a 5 lug conversion kit from PMB.

I would rather not roll or widen any bodywork for originality's sake, but if I have to, I will. I also read that factory tolerances may vary. I also know, after using the wheel calculator, I'd like to keep the speedometer mostly accurate. (I know wheels aren't original, but a simple bolt on).

So the questions;

What are Fuchs hearts?

Fuchs are "deep" or "flat." Guessing that's the offset.

15 or 16 inch? There seems to be more tire choices for 16, but how will that effect ride/handling?

Offset seems to be the key here. What should I be avoiding?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Len

Cairo94507
The "heart" Fuchs is a 15"X6" wheel and has a deeper lip than the flat Fuchs 15". To keep as original of a look as possible, since you are converting to the 5 lug, the flat six wheel is readily available and rather inexpensive compared to the deep "heart" wheels.
r_towle
so,
backspacing is easier to measure.
This is the distance from the inside lip of the wheel to the inner surface that gets bolted to the rotor.

This measurement cannot exceed 4 5/8 inches or you will rub on the inside of the trunk with the rubber.

Going from there, you can add spacers to decrease that inner number.
Cant make the number larger without removing material from the wheel.
Its a fixed number, cant move the inside wall.

You can move the outside fender by bending it, stretching it, rolling the fender lip, flares etc.

The inside one is the important one.
Offset is the difference (positive or negative) between the backspacing and the true centerline of the wheel.

I use backspacing (do that math to get backspacing) because that is what matters.

For a stock car, you can get 6.5 inch wide wheels, and in some cases 7 inch wide wheels on the car.

The best way to know what you are dealing with (your car is different then ALL other cars) is put on all your 5 lug hardware, then use a straight edge to measure from the rotor mounting surface to any and all parts of the inside of the trunk face....
Also measure to the inside of the fender lip.

Then you know those two numbers and the rest is math.

Rich
Spoke
QUOTE(Big Len @ Jan 29 2014, 09:28 AM) *

15 or 16 inch? There seems to be more tire choices for 16, but how will that effect ride/handling?

Go 16 inch. 15 inch tire selection is dwindling. Plus you can use a lower profile tire on a 16 inch vs 15 inch and still keep the same overall tire height.

I don't think there will be a handling difference between 15-16 inch wheels as long as the tire height is the same.
mskala
Fuchs "Deep" or "flat" have the same offset.

Porsche has several wheels that are going to fit with no trouble. They're 15x5.5 or 15x6 or 16x6. Not all will be in the same price range.

15x6 cookie cutter (36 offset)
15x6 Fuchs (36 offset)
16x6 Fuchs (36 offset)
15x6 Phone dial (36 offset) (don't get the 52mm offset 924S version!)
15x5.5 Fuchs (42 offset)
15x5.5 Mahle "gasburners" (bring money)
15x5.5 steelies biggrin.gif
bulitt
This thread maybe helpful
Wheels
carr914
A Deep 6 has a deeper lip and was designed for Tires with Tubes. You can fit a tubeless tire on them but the Tire Shop that puts them on will swear at you as they are tough to put on.

A Flat 6 has a flatter face

Deep & Flat 6's are 15" in Diameter.

A "Heart is the shape of the opening between the "Spokes". This shape changed - early Wheels have the Heart Shape and are worth more $$ - later wheels have more a triangle shape
Big Len
Think I'm getting it. Thank you ALL for the education.

Based on the chart and If I'm right, I would be looking for a deep wheel, either 7 x 15 or 7 by 16 with no more than 112mm backspace and 23 mm offset.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-...-1319077229.jpg

wndsnd
I'm with you on this.

Eric's conversion going on as we speak.

I decided on the deep sixes. I like the deeper look inset. If you want black petals you probably will get flat sixes. Those look great too.

I bought 205/55/15's. All my research says they will fit my stock car. However the hell hole repair made my car tighter on the passenger side.

I will know shortly. Chris Foley is standing by with the baseball bat just in case. huh.gif

John
sixnotfour
If you like a bit of lip on wheels , 23mm offset, you will have to roll fenders a bit, depending on the tire..I have done it twice and returned them to stock , after the fact for stock appearance.(paint required)
If you just want a 7 inch wide wheel , the 911R offset wheels is the choice.. buy some 15x6's and have an inch added to the inside...

or these 17x7's fit great...
Dave_Darling
Hmm... I really do not care for the look of those particular 17s... sad.gif

--DD
euro911
I'm not a fan of large diameter wheels, but to each their own.

I'm finding lots of good tires in 15" sizes at multiple tire stores confused24.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(Big Len @ Jan 29 2014, 04:54 PM) *

Think I'm getting it. Thank you ALL for the education.

Based on the chart and If I'm right, I would be looking for a deep wheel, either 7 x 15 or 7 by 16 with no more than 112mm backspace and 23 mm offset.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-...-1319077229.jpg

A 7 will probably not work on a stock fender without a narrow tire. No way with a 205 tire on a stock fender car (for 99% of the cars out there). A stock 2.0 fuchs (5.5x15) with a 205x60x15 is a snugg fit.
KELTY360
CSOB tip of the day: paint the center of your steelies black and leave the lip silver or ad a chromed beauty rim.
Big Len
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jan 30 2014, 08:29 AM) *

CSOB tip of the day: paint the center of your steelies black and leave the lip silver or ad a chromed beauty rim.

Not a bad tip haha...I'll remember that next time.

Going thru that wheel thread that bulitt posted, it looks like there are a number of cars that added 7' rims w/o lip rolling.

mepstein - Guessing you're talking about the rears only? Don't get me wrong...Not looking for widest tire I could fit, just a deep lip with a bit more meat than the stock tire.

wndsnd - 205/55/15s on what size rim?

mskala - Learning to "bring money" for any wheels, not just gas burners. Fuchs are big bucks, bigger than I thought. Seems $250/wheel is ballpark minimum. Looking for a month on The Samba, Rennlist, Craigslist, Ebay, Pelican. Selection and availability is pretty limited too.

Even looked at replicas from CA Imports and new Empis, but would rather not.
mepstein
QUOTE(Big Len @ Jan 30 2014, 09:30 AM) *

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jan 30 2014, 08:29 AM) *

Not a bad tip haha...I'll remember that next time.

Going thru that wheel thread that bulitt posted, it looks like there are a number of cars that added 7' rims w/o lip rolling.

mepstein - Guessing you're talking about the rears only? Don't get me wrong...Not looking for widest tire I could fit, just a deep lip with a bit more meat than the stock tire.

wndsnd - 205/55/15s on what size rim?

mskala - Learning to "bring money" for any wheels, not just gas burners. Fuchs are big bucks, bigger than I thought. Seems $250/wheel is ballpark minimum. Looking for a month on The Samba, Rennlist, Craigslist, Ebay, Pelican. Selection and availability is pretty limited too.

Even looked at replicas from CA Imports and new Empis, but would rather not.

It would be silly to buy a 7" wheel and use a 195 tire. Place a WTB on Pelican and 914 world for the specific wheel you want. Size, condition, price, location ect. Let the sellers contact you instead of chasing them. But be specific or people won't think you are serious. A nice set of 6x15 fuchs should be available for around $800. No, not deep 6 with hearts or gas burners but nice wheels that will be 99% of what all the higher priced wheels will give you.
sixnotfour
It would be silly to buy a 7" wheel and use a 195 tire. Place a WTB on Pelican and 914 world for the specific wheel you want. Size, condition, price, location ect. Let the sellers contact you instead of chasing them. But be specific or people won't think you are serious. A nice set of 6x15 fuchs should be available for around $800. No, not deep 6 with hearts or gas burners but nice wheels that will be 99% of what all the higher priced wheels will give you.

Best advice...

17 haters, um 2014 not 1974, kids luv em, and one million tire choices
SKL1
Have 16X6 Fuchs on both my 914's with stock fenders and 205/50/16 tires. Plenty of tire for that car and no body mods.

Front wheels from 911 SC etc so plenty around. Had Weidmans refinish and they look fantastic.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
beerchug.gif 16x7.5 I made..very tight fit..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.