Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine Cleaning
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Alfieg23
Other than covering the distributor and air intake, is there anything else I need to do when degreasing the engine?
Kaduku
QUOTE(Alfieg23 @ Jan 29 2014, 05:39 PM) *

Other than covering the distributor and air intake, is there anything else I need to do when degreasing the engine?

I don't have an answer for you, but also interested in doing this. The new 2.0 engine transplant does not look new and I would like to clean it up and make it look decent.

ablesnead
are you referring to structural integrity ?
somd914
That's all I do plus run the engine when I'm finished. But I don't use high pressure on the top side.

Simple Green is great for general cleaning before hitting it with degreaser and a hose. Brake cleaner also does wonders for caked on deposits.

Then standby for new oil leaks as you will likely wash away crud that's preventing leaks.

bandjoey
The thread on engine cleaning made me think what's the difference in using carb cleaner spray vs. brake cleaner spray?

Who uses which? Will either one work when just cleaning oil and grime from the bottom of the motor and tranny? confused24.gif
bandjoey
(Sorry double post)
r_towle
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Jan 30 2014, 05:03 PM) *

The thread on engine cleaning made me think what's the difference in using carb cleaner spray vs. brake cleaner spray?

Who uses which? Will either one work when just cleaning oil and grime from the bottom of the motor and tranny? confused24.gif

Super purple or simply green are better.

For the top of the motor, I just use a spray bottle of cleaner, and a bunch of rags.
No water, mainly all engine tin anyways.

For the bottom, its an assortment of brushes, and spray cleaners.
I even made a plastic paint scraper (home depot) into a 1/2 inch width to dig into every little place on the tranny to get all the built up caked on crap out of there.
Then spray bottle and tooth brush or brass brush or whatever little brush fits.

The bottom just takes time.
I do it over the course of two days, and only once per car....

Once you get the major crud off, its simple to keep it clean if you stay with it.
The 40 years of grease just takes time to remove.

I made the mistake of taking a transmission to the car wash thinking that nice pressure washer would make quick work of the old grease.
NOPE...it just managed to spray shit all over me, and little was removed from the tranny.
I was dressed for it, goggles and all....but it was pointless.

Elbow grease is the best method.

Rich
dcheek
This is a trick I learned 30 years ago at a tech seminar put on by our local Porsche Club.

Heat the engine up. Cover electrical components. Brush liberally with kerosene. Hose down.

Yes, I know it sounds crazy but, at that demonstration they did this to a crusty 356 engine and it took all the greasy crud off and left a nice patina on both the engine block and the tin.

I don't do this to the topside of my 914 but, I've done it several times to the bottom and transmission.

Dave
euro911
Don't use brake cleaner on nicely painted surfaces sad.gif
sixaddict
Ditto "carb and choke cleaner" .....I used to used it and then the paint started coming off. Damn!!!!
I Swear formulation changed
VaccaRabite
A kerosene and water bath will strip all the grease out of the nooks and crannies in your transmission and the bottom of your engine.

But then you have to find a way to dispose of the K1/water mix.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.