Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 Barn Find (SOLD!)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
charhall4444
here is the link for details of the barn find.

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/4309516671.html
914itis
The shell is not a six, he removed all the parts and toss the six's tub. Current tub is a 74.
OU8AVW
Where's that crack pipe emoti?
mepstein
If he had real 6 heat exchangers it would be worth (for some people) the $8K. Part out a real 6 and there's $$$. All the little stuff ads up.

Looking at the pictures, there looks to be little left of the 6 but the engine and trans. If he had the dash, shifter with throttle controle, interior, steering wheel, oil tank, heat exchangers, ect. it would be worth it to me.
Mblizzard
Just to be clear I get that the shell is not a 6 and the VIN would always show that it was a conversion not a true 6. But I was wondering if there were any obvious differences between the normal 914 tub and a tub for the 6?

If there are no differences what stops the less than honest person from stripping off the VIN and other # plates from the 6 and putting them on a 4 tub? Probably a tactic that would not get past a close inspection but might get someone to drop some real 6 cash for a 6 conversion.
sixaddict
Blizzard....
The threat of incarceration and being bunk buddy is probably sufficient to deter even the slow amongst us!
beerchug.gif
Mblizzard
QUOTE(sixaddict @ Jan 30 2014, 09:00 AM) *

Blizzard....
The threat of incarceration and being bunk buddy is probably sufficient to deter even the slow amongst us!
beerchug.gif

Certainly is enough for me but there are others that may not have the same fear of always having to use soap on a rope as most of us do!
mepstein
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Jan 30 2014, 11:44 AM) *

Just to be clear I get that the shell is not a 6 and the VIN would always show that it was a conversion not a true 6. But I was wondering if there were any obvious differences between the normal 914 tub and a tub for the 6?

If there are no differences what stops the less than honest person from stripping off the VIN and other # plates from the 6 and putting them on a 4 tub? Probably a tactic that would not get past a close inspection but might get someone to drop some real 6 cash for a 6 conversion.

It's been done. Even advertized by a certain 914 retailer. Done ALOT with many makes and models in the auto industry. If you think a 914-6 brings a nice chunk of change, just take a look at what a 911RS will sell for. I'm pretty sure you can build a 356 new. And who's to say that even the vin tag hasn't been reproduced from a number that's been known to be in the grave. All important info to know if your buying a car for the vin. Not necesary if your buying a car to drive.

Also sort of strange that the factory - Porsche, Ferrari, ect can/did take an old vin from a race car and place it on a new tub and now it's the old car and legal. The providence of the old car switches to the new chassis as long as it has the old vin. Well, sort of....
carr914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 30 2014, 12:35 PM) *

. I'm pretty sure you can build a 356 new. And who's to say that even the vin tag hasn't been reproduced from a number that's been known to be in the grave. All important info to know if your buying a car for the vin. Not necesary if your buying a car to drive.

Also sort of strange that the factory - Porsche, Ferrari, ect can/did take an old vin from a race car and place it on a new tub and now it's the old car and legal. The providence of the old car switches to the new chassis as long as it has the old vin. Well, sort of....

Near Impossible to do on a 356 - every Panel has the VIN on it
rgalla9146
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jan 30 2014, 02:41 PM) *

. I'm pretty sure you can build a 356 new. And who's to say that even the vin tag hasn't been reproduced from a number that's been known to be in the grave. All important info to know if your buying a car for the vin. Not necesary if your buying a car to drive.

I walked around and drooled over a 356 Carrera 2 two years ago. A beautiful, well documented first rate restoration. Big,big money.
For sale, at the same time, five hundred miles away there was a another car of the exact same description AND the same VIN.
When there is serious money involved, very odd things can happen.
mepstein
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Feb 1 2014, 10:41 PM) *

I walked around and drooled over a 356 Carrera 2 two years ago. A beautiful, well documented first rate restoration. Big,big money.
For sale, at the same time, five hundred miles away there was a another car of the exact same description AND the same VIN.

Almost anything can be duplicated these days. Fraud is a major problem in the art world. I can't imagine it would be hard to make a set of stamps to duplicate a vin. Probably available on ebay.
Chris H.
Wolfgang/Gustl keeps very detailed 914-6 records...think he's caught at least one possible VIN swap in the past. That's why you should always post the VIN of a car you are considering buying on the site or ping him and ask him if he has any info...not 100% effective but it helps... "Gustlfax" biggrin.gif ...

ConeDodger
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 2 2014, 05:49 AM) *

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Feb 1 2014, 10:41 PM) *

Almost anything can be duplicated these days. Fraud is a major problem in the art world. I can't imagine it would be hard to make a set of stamps to duplicate a vin. Probably available on ebay.

Stamps to duplicate a VIN??? That's been done by a member here.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.