Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front End Squeaking After Exhaust and HE Install
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Kaduku
My 914 had a recent install of a 2.0 banana exhaust and heat exchangers, so the car was jacked up for a few hours. I am not sure, but I assume only the rear was lifted onto stands.

After the install, I noticed slight squeaking from inside the cabin that I never heard before. At first, I thought it was coming from under the dash. I later found out it was coming from the front right wheel area, after I pressed down on the right fender. Really loud and embarrassing. So loud that it may be the squeak I hear from the inside. Just by stepping in and out of the car it would squeak.

It may be the bushing. If it is, I know you all will say to replace it, but is there a way to temporarily stop this very annoying noise!!!!!

dlestep
Remove the exhaust and heat exchangers from the front-end and install them in the back !!!
Kaduku
QUOTE(dlestep @ Jan 31 2014, 05:50 AM) *

Remove the exhaust and heat exchangers from the front-end and install them in the back !!!

I thought about making a comment about this but decided not to.
ThePaintedMan
So you had the work done at shop? If so, it would be hard to know exactly what they did or did not take off the car. They very well could have removed the wheel and did not get it tight again. Try tightening the lug nuts to spec (108 ft-lbs) and see if that makes a difference. Doubtful the bushings would all of a sudden start making noise, but I guess it's possible, especially if the temperature changed drastically there. I would say if it's not the wheel, then it's more likely it's a ball joint that you're hearing.
Kaduku
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Jan 31 2014, 06:03 AM) *

So you had the work done at shop? If so, it would be hard to know exactly what they did or did not take off the car. They very well could have removed the wheel and did not get it tight again. Try tightening the lug nuts to spec (108 ft-lbs) and see if that makes a difference. Doubtful the bushings would all of a sudden start making noise, but I guess it's possible, especially if the temperature changed drastically there. I would say if it's not the wheel, then it's more likely it's a ball joint that you're hearing.

I did not think about the wheel, and yes the brake hoses were replaced. Will tighten the wheel later after work and see. Thanks!

Steve Snyder
From your description that it squeaks loudly when you get in or press down on the fender, it sounds more like a suspension issue than a loose wheel. Regardless, why not just take it back to the shop were the work was done and have them deal with it? You've paid for the service, but you are not satisfied with the result...
Krieger
Is your new exhaust quieter than the old? Maybe your squeak was there all along and now you can hear it.
JawjaPorsche
QUOTE(Kaduku @ Jan 31 2014, 08:59 AM) *

QUOTE(dlestep @ Jan 31 2014, 05:50 AM) *

I thought about making a comment about this but decided not to.

You know why they don't send donkeys to college? No one likes a smart ass! biggrin.gif
ndfrigi
Or maybe the front strut had move when they lifted it or it can be the rear shock(s) that you really hear eventhough you tried moving the front. Last time mine is squeaking also and tried to lift the car and move my shocks and strut, it went out. Just sharing my experienced.
Kaduku
QUOTE(Steve Snyder @ Jan 31 2014, 06:58 AM) *

From your description that it squeaks loudly when you get in or press down on the fender, it sounds more like a suspension issue than a loose wheel. Regardless, why not just take it back to the shop were the work was done and have them deal with it? You've paid for the service, but you are not satisfied with the result...

I am very happy with the actual work that was performed, and believe this squeak is the result of the car being jacked-up, which of course was necessary. The car is over 40 years old and with the original suspension bushings and shocks and springs that are ready to be replaced, it was bound to happen sooner or later. The jacking up just helped it get sooner.

If I do bring it back, I would be okay to pay extra.

Kaduku
QUOTE(Krieger @ Jan 31 2014, 07:02 AM) *

Is your new exhaust quieter than the old? Maybe your squeak was there all along and now you can hear it.

Lol, now this kind of humor I can appreciate!

Speaking of which, I thought the 1.7 OEM exhaust sounded pretty good and quiet, but the OEM 2.0 banana exhaust matched up to a stock steel heat exchanger is just awesome. I love it!

BTW, I will be posting a no rust 1.7/1.8 OEM exhaust soon in the classifieds.

Kaduku
Okay I have a clue here. When I push down slightly on the front left fender, there is a slight up and down movement. You don't hear the squeak from the right fender as much. When I push down on the front right fender with the same amount of force, it is definitely stiffer and almost no movement and the squeak is loud as hell.

I am not a mechanic but does that sound like the strut is done?

The car still appears level.
r_towle
Look underneath and see if you see scratch marks on the bottom of the control arms where they put jack stands, or lift arms.

They may have moved something on that side which is creating the squeek because the angle may have changed.

Rich
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Kaduku @ Jan 31 2014, 12:32 PM) *

Okay I have a clue here. When I push down slightly on the front left fender, there is a slight up and down movement. You don't hear the squeak from the right fender as much. When I push down on the front right fender with the same amount of force, it is definitely stiffer and almost no movement and the squeak is loud as hell.

My guess is that your missing cat is under the right front fender... happy11.gif
Kaduku
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jan 31 2014, 05:39 PM) *

QUOTE(Kaduku @ Jan 31 2014, 12:32 PM) *

My guess is that your missing cat is under the right front fender... happy11.gif

Nope, no cat.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.