Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: whats with the plastic porsche logo under rear trunk lid
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rosenfe
my car came with it and a hole in the plastic to stick a screw driver to open trunk.where did these plastic covers come from,does anybody like them,and how were you suppoded to open trunk.
SirAndy
QUOTE(rosenfe @ Jan 31 2014, 11:43 AM) *
my car came with it and a hole in the plastic to stick a screw driver to open trunk.where did these plastic covers come from,does anybody like them,and how were you suppoded to open trunk.

Aftermarket DAPO hack ... icon8.gif
rosenfe
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 31 2014, 11:49 AM) *

i took mine off and found a lock on ebay,now i have to cover holes they drilled for plastic cover.ive gotten 914 -20 logo decal and will probably put pca badge over other holes,i could re drill original holes for logo(theyhad filled and painted over them) .i dont have any body work skills .
bandjoey
Pop rivet and touch up paint for a temp repair. A dab of silicon inside to waterproof.
Rand
It's like a ricer who puts a banner on top of his windshield. It's lame.
Elliot Cannon
Yep. That looks soooo lame. Who would do that?
bulitt
QUOTE(Rand @ Jan 31 2014, 03:33 PM) *

agree.gif

Ricer-

IPB Image
SLITS
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jan 31 2014, 12:45 PM) *

Those with an Identity Crisis!!
1stworks
QUOTE(bulitt @ Jan 31 2014, 01:50 PM) *

QUOTE(Rand @ Jan 31 2014, 03:33 PM) *

agree.gif

Ricer-

IPB Image

lol-2.gif
poke.gif
1stworks
The spoiler brings it together biggrin.gif

IPB Image
rnellums
QUOTE(1stworks @ Jan 31 2014, 02:27 PM) *

IPB Image

A bit repetitive don't you think scotty? poke.gif
1stworks
QUOTE(rnellums @ Jan 31 2014, 03:19 PM) *

QUOTE(1stworks @ Jan 31 2014, 02:27 PM) *

IPB Image

A bit repetitive don't you think scotty? poke.gif

You love it bootyshake.gif
Kansas 914
EEEWWW! A cut down 911 reflector..... smile.gif

Click to view attachment
ndfrigi
from 911 also and cut hole in the middle for trunk opener.

Click to view attachment
Chris H.
That took a lot longer than expected....lol-2.gif Pretty sure Andy's hating the the "screwdriver opening the trunk mod" mostly...but don't let that get in the way...carry on!

BTW most people with reflectors have a solenoid setup that opens the trunk electrically. If you can look long enough at the pics posted without icon8.gif barf.gif (just poke.gif don't mind 'em at all myself) you will see they don't have any holes in them except the last one where the trunk lock was carefully cut out.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jan 31 2014, 12:55 PM) *

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jan 31 2014, 12:45 PM) *

Those with an Identity Crisis!!

Who am I and why am I here? smoke.gif And while I'm at it, who the hell are you? idea.gif wacko.gif
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Jan 31 2014, 03:17 PM) *

That took a lot longer than expected....lol-2.gif Pretty sure Andy's hating the the "screwdriver opening the trunk mod" mostly...but don't let that get in the way...carry on!

BTW most people with reflectors have a solenoid setup that opens the trunk electrically. If you can look long enough at the pics posted without icon8.gif barf.gif (just poke.gif don't mind 'em at all myself) you will see they don't have any holes in them except the last one where the trunk lock was carefully cut out.

I use a cable release. From Engman I think.
carr914
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jan 31 2014, 03:45 PM) *

biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment
iamchappy
A ghost reflector on mine...
Dave_Darling
There were at least a couple of versions of the reflector.

One was, as mentioned, a 911 reflector that had the ends cut down to fit between the 914 taillights.

There also was one that was actually made (by an aftermarket company) to fit the 914. They've been NLA for a number of years now--probably since right after Porsche found out they were using the name in vain. wink.gif

Usually extra holes get drilled in the rear panel for mounting the reflector. Which makes this mod harder to reverse without doing bodywork.

--DD
boxsterfan
All of those Porsche reflectors look horrible. They have made your cars worthless now.

I will fall on my sword and offer you $100/each per car to take those forsaken machines off your hands. drunk.gif
larryM
caveat - electric releases and cables don't always work

drill a 1/8 hole thru that reflector dead center in the top band of the S

get a long cheap screwdriver with 1/8 shank & grind off the tip

- keep it in the glove box - you will need it one day

hot_shoe914
confused24.gif
barefoot
QUOTE(larryM @ Jan 31 2014, 11:27 PM) *

An easier way:
Mine has he full width reflector and had a solenoid to open the trunk. PO apparently found it didn't work and rigged a small wire down thru the trunk floor to just behind the muffler stopping just above the valance bottom edge so not visible. Works easily.
I put new rear floor pan in and kept this feature even though I'll install new solenoid.

Mark Henry
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 31 2014, 02:49 PM) *

Yep... right up there with 916 bumpers icon8.gif

biggrin.gif bye1.gif
carr914

There's a Better way - Drill a Small Hole in the Release Lever inside the Trunk, twist a Piece of Wire through it, drill a Small hole in the Bottom of the Trunk, run the cable down thru - you have an emergency release
rhodyguy
and put a stainless steel washer on the wire. makes it easy to find.
76-914
QUOTE(carr914 @ Feb 1 2014, 06:28 AM) *

There's a Better way - Drill a Small Hole in the Release Lever inside the Trunk, twist a Piece of Wire through it, drill a Small hole in the Bottom of the Trunk, run the cable down thru - you have an emergency release

thumb3d.gif
bandjoey
We'll at least it's not lighted. Now who would do that?
RazorbackFan78
One thing I DO like about the reflector mod is that "flush" look it creates all the way across the back of the car. In fact, I often wonder how it would look if I yanked the reflector and had that center section built out and painted so that it's flush with the brake lights. Anyone thought of or done this before?
Cap'n Krusty
"PORSCHE"? I thought they misspelled "POSEUR"!

The Cap'n
SKL1
I'm sure most of have done some "mod" to our car we wish we hadn't. Pretty easy when you've had the car for over 40 years... thankfully I never did that, and didn't drill too many extra holes!!
Olympic 914
I kind of liked those rear reflectors.. don't have one though. but if one came my way I would probably run it.
Steve
I have seen the 911 reflectors for sale at the G&R. I bought one, because mine has the big hole for the trunk release in the one I have now. I plan on cutting it down and either installing a solenoid or release cable.
ruby914
QUOTE(Steve @ Feb 2 2014, 08:56 AM) *

I have seen the 911 reflectors for sale at the G&R. I bought one, because mine has the big hole for the trunk release in the one I have now. I plan on cutting it down and either installing a solenoid or release cable.

I used both solenoid and release cable. As well as the 3rd fail safe hole in the bottom of the trunk.

I like the look of the reflector on the ruby color paint. I Don't know if I would like it on a green or yellow car. I Don't think it should be on a car with PORSCHE letters on the grill or rockers also. That's a little over kill.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(ruby914 @ Feb 2 2014, 10:31 AM) *

QUOTE(Steve @ Feb 2 2014, 08:56 AM) *

I used both solenoid and release cable. As well as the 3rd fail safe hole in the bottom of the trunk.

I like the look of the reflector on the ruby color paint. I Don't know if I would like it on a green or yellow car. I Don't think it should be on a car with PORSCHE letters on the grill or rockers also. That's a little over kill.

agree.gif

I learned the hard way. I have the solenoid - which usually requires two people - and a release on a wire right below the rear bumper - with a BIG stainless washer. I use the wire release 90% of the time now.
RickS
Love my PORSCHE reflector so much I want everyone to know what a special car I drive... (I also deleted the script off the grill lid) - Let them guess)
Mark Henry
I run one, because I hate when people think my car is a Fiat.
ruby914
It's all in the color.
Maltese Falcon
Jim's on the right, Marty's on the left , the French tail light lenses are sexxy !Click to view attachment
Nothing else is stock about the black car, so the rear lens stays.
Millerwelds
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Feb 1 2014, 07:58 AM) *

We'll at least it's not lighted. Now who would do that?

I would..... biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 1 2014, 06:23 AM) *
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 31 2014, 02:49 PM) *
Yep... right up there with 916 bumpers icon8.gif

Which were already on my car when i bought it, so yeah, aftermarket DAPO hack ... icon8.gif
tumamilhem
Nice bootyshake.gif Ba-donk-a-donk shades.gif

OG OEM 911 rear reflector

Click to view attachment
euro911
confused24.gif

Mine is Not A Real Porsche tongue.gif

Click to view attachment
tumamilhem
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 2 2014, 11:25 PM) *

I run one, because I hate when people think my car is a Fiat.

That's a good one.
When I drive my red one, people ask me if it's a Ferrari. blink.gif
TheCabinetmaker
I had a guy a few days ago ask what kind of car is that? I said "Fiat" and walked on. Who cares what they think it is.
euro911
laugh.gif

Most of the people who approach me know it's a 914 - and ask if I want to sell it confused24.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.