Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: LS1 or V8 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
piss'n914
Hey guys, I've very new to this whole thing. I'm still trying to figure out what is exactly wrong with my 914 (starting and running issue). But whats the possibility or reliability of installing a v8 or v6....other than the immediate install cost. what do ya'll think.
Rand
Been discussed for many years here. Your starting and running issue has nothing to do with a bigger iron. Add weight only hurts these things.
SirAndy
QUOTE(piss'n914 @ Jan 31 2014, 02:16 PM) *
what do ya'll think.

I think 914s should only have water in them when it rains ... biggrin.gif

There are quite a few waterccoled conversions out there and they all involve cutting the tub in one way or the other to make room for the cooling system and other accessories.

I personally would try to fix the original engine first.
shades.gif
ThePaintedMan
welcome.png

But you already posted a thread asking about how to get it running first less than a day ago. I would start there. Learn the car, get it running, drive it for a bit. You'd be impressed at how much fun you can have with a well-running stock 914.

Everyone wants more horsepower... until they realize how much work and $ it costs. As Andy said, it's not plug and go play. Plus, the world (including this World smile.gif ) will always need more people who know how to work on aircooled engines and appreciate them for what they are.
bulitt
Whats your vision for the car? Going to PCA events? Concours? You may need the Porsche powerplant. Looking to retain resale? Porsche again?
Looking for a car with the power to weight ratio of a Viper, then LS or V8.
Subaru transplants are popular and build major power.

Adding power, weight, torque has consequences. Modifying the car, breaking OEM stuff etc. Conversions are not cheap! You need $$$
jimkelly
depending on where you are in CA, there are members here that can help.

if you have a budget for a conversion, you certainly have the budget to get your car diagnosed and maybe repaired too.

then if you want more power, you could go V8 or suby but this will cost you $2500-$3000 in renegade and/or coldwater (http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=229389) parts, plus engine/trans.

one look at mcmarks turbo 1.7 should make most want to keep their aircooled engine even unturboed. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=229389
chads74
As of the guys who probably isn't liked very much, stirthepot.gif v8's have their issues too! I am fighting fuel issues, so I can't drive either. Like was said before with hp comes $$, more hp more $$$. With no guarantee of trouble free. I could have bought a second nice stock 914 for the amount I have just in the conversion. Trust the people here! I have learned a lot in the last two years since I got back into the madness.

Oh and welcome.png
carr914
QUOTE(Rand @ Jan 31 2014, 05:20 PM) *

Been discussed for many years here. Your starting and running issue has nothing to do with a bigger iron. Add weight only hurts these things.

A LS Aluminum motor does not weigh much - less than 3.6 911 Motor

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
mgp4591
And a Subaru 6 cyl. weighs less than that! driving.gif
carr914
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Jan 31 2014, 07:51 PM) *

But a LS has Tons more HP and can lay down rubber for Blocks
r_towle
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jan 31 2014, 08:30 PM) *

One time only, then you need to rebuild the transmission.
Bruce Hinds
Like Bulitt said . .. "what's you vision for the car?"

If you're going to autocross, a V8 won't compete unless you spend a lot of bucks on all the suspension, braks, wheels and flairs. A hopped up 2.0 is great and really hard to beat.

On the other hand, with simple up grades to the car even an old SBC in the 300 hp range will transform the car into an incredible road machine. Those pure to Porsche will talk about weight and it losing that light feel. But, it's only 250 LBS more . . . and unless you are going to the track, it can get you into more trouble than you can afford.

A V8 car is truly a driving experience, especially if you live near some really nice mountain roads.

spaceshuttle
QUOTE(piss'n914 @ Jan 31 2014, 02:16 PM) *

Hey guys, I've very new to this whole thing. I'm still trying to figure out what is exactly wrong with my 914 (starting and running issue). But whats the possibility or reliability of installing a v8 or v6....other than the immediate install cost. what do ya'll think.

If you want a V8 teener, there are usually some to be had. You can buy a nice conversion for about half of what you can do one for. No point in cutting up a perfectly good body when ready made is available. I have a couple of conversions and it is a completely different animal, and frankly (and I have owned both) once you have had big HP, I cannot imagine going back.
messix
how good a driver are you?

have you ever owned a high horsepower car before?

you could get in way over your head going V8 right off the bat in these cars, being mid-engine and very light weight and adding power to where the hp/lb gets in the super car range. and things happen very fast that will bite you in the ass.

most all will agree to get it running stock the best that you can and spend some time getting to know how the car handles. you will be impressed even though it doesn't have a lot of hp , it does keep up with some modern cars in the twisties
and is a pretty good touring car. the stock engine can get 30+ mpg and run 70 mph all day long doing it.
messix
and also. hunt down some one local to you that has a car that is well sorted and go for a ride.

mgp4591
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jan 31 2014, 06:30 PM) *

Hmmm... let's see. A well sorted 3.3 with a turbo will make 400 hp without breathing hard and the center of gravity is lower plus less weight. Not as much torque tho... not a bad compromise considering you won't need a 5k G50 trans from Porsche to handle the V8 properly. Or so I've heard. confused24.gif
messix
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Feb 1 2014, 12:20 AM) *

QUOTE(carr914 @ Jan 31 2014, 06:30 PM) *

Hmmm... let's see. A well sorted 3.3 with a turbo will make 400 hp without breathing hard and the center of gravity is lower plus less weight. Not as much torque tho... not a bad compromise considering you won't need a 5k G50 trans from Porsche to handle the V8 properly. Or so I've heard. confused24.gif

check out what a "well sorted 3.3" turbo will make in torque..... kinda just like a V8!

so then your working out a different tranny.
somd914
All depends what you want - a sports car or a muscle car?

I have a 2056 in my teener which on paper should be pulling in the 115-120 HP. I also have an '84 Carrera 3.2 liter at around 230 HP and a '05 Suby GT 2.5 turbo pulling around 280 HP. I'd say right out of the hole the Suby is the fastest, but the Carrera will take over once it's revs build. In the handling department between the three, Porsches all the way with the teener in the lead.

My college-aged sons like driving all three but prefer the 914 and argue who should get in the will (hopefully I have a few decades of enjoyment left...). But they track Miatas and are willing to give up ponies for a lighter, better handling car. For each their own, but if it's all about laying down rubber, save yourself a lot of time and money and go for a Camaro, Mustang, or Challenger...
J P Stein
Bring talent & tires to drive this Subie 914.
Chances are ya ought to stay home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pB0fTcTHkg4

In 13ish years of AX I've never seen a V8 914 that handled worth spit.
bulitt
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Feb 1 2014, 08:43 AM) *

Bring talent & tires to drive this Subie 914.
Chances are ya ought to stay home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pB0fTcTHkg4

In 13ish years of AX I've never seen a V8 914 that handled worth spit.

There are other venues than AX JP ! lol-2.gif
How is the Stang going?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neZ5QuZxFR4

And this 500hp LS

IPB Image

The 914 is a great platform to stuff most any engine in. Only limited by your supply of $$$
J P Stein
You did notice the "AX', right?
Non-competitive DEs or track days don't impress me much.

I've seen a lot of V8 914s over the years. Field fillers wihout exception.
I'll stand by what I wrote till someone shows me different.

piss'n914
well, i plan to work on the stock motor first. However I just saw alot of video's of V8 914's thats the only reason I wanted to ask the question.

As for what my plan is, its a 2nd car, My daily driver is a 03 mustang gt convertible. This 914 was given to me from my brother in law. I have built several cars that were not running and got them running again and then sold them. However this car has sentimental meaning to me, so i dont plan to sell it. This is just going to be a fun weekend car. biggrin.gif
computers4kids
QUOTE(Bruce Hinds @ Jan 31 2014, 07:51 PM) *

Like Bulitt said . .. "what's you vision for the car?"

On the other hand, with simple up grades to the car even an old SBC in the 300 hp range will transform the car into an incredible road machine. Those pure to Porsche will talk about weight and it losing that light feel. But, it's only 250 LBS more . . . and unless you are going to the track, it can get you into more trouble than you can afford.

A V8 car is truly a driving experience, especially if you live near some really nice mountain roads.

My conversion with AC did also add 250 lbs, which is totally lost with the hp gain. However, I do miss the agility of a strong 2ltr. But, like Bruce said, " a V8 is truly a driving experience." I love it.

No matter what road you choose, once you've experienced a 914 with that kind of power, it kind of ruins it for 914s in your future. You can't go back...at least I couldn't.

There is a lot to be said about not going too crazy with the HP. The 901 with an H gear for 5th holds up surprisingly well. Even though I have a spare ready, it's been years now with absolutely no problems.

Also, these cars are so light, a well setup 914 doesn't necessarily just spin tires...they just GO evilgrin.gif
CptTripps
I'm in the middle of converting a SB350 to a Subaru 2.0t.

The 350 is heavy, and really changes the feel of the car. Weight is very wonky. Just doesn't feel the same. There's also the "4-speed" thing to consider, changed the feel of the car again. I shredded one pinion gear. Can't see ever feeling like I could "lay down rubber" without consequences.

For the same money, put a Subaru in there or at least buy a ready car. I'd have sold mine a few days after I bought it if I had a buyer.
mittelmotor
Stock fuel-injected LS1 conversion here. Cast-iron SBC too heavy for my tastes. I love the instant torque...pulls as hard in 4th as it does in 2nd! I re-geared the 901 transaxle with H gears, and it makes a huge difference in cruising revs. A very straightforward conversion if 901 transaxle is retained. Wiring is much simpler than the Subie too.

The conversion doesn't ruin handling as some have opined, but it's not quite as agile as stock...so not for the autocross crowd. But it will take your breath away in 5th gear with an 80-120 mph pull.

I prefer a "sleeper" look, with 2.0 badge still firmly in place and a stock-appearing exhaust, with a single tip in original valance cut-out, and a second hidden dump pipe. Hardest thing to source was the 15x7 ATS wheels.

Click to view attachment
bulitt
Getting ready to install my SBC. If it's too heavy then bolting on some Aluminum heads to save another 90 lbs. We will see. LS? Maybe hee hee
mgp4591
QUOTE(bulitt @ Feb 1 2014, 06:50 AM) *

And this 500hp LS

IPB Image

The 914 is a great platform to stuff most any engine in. Only limited by your supply of $$$

The flares on this blue one hint at the power that could be there. They also look larger than most I've seen- any idea who makes those and if they are larger than most GTs? confused24.gif Great looking car- looks fast standing still!
SirAndy
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Feb 3 2014, 08:01 PM) *
The flares on this blue one hint at the power that could be there. They also look larger than most I've seen- any idea who makes those and if they are larger than most GTs? confused24.gif Great looking car- looks fast standing still!

They're 9"/11" fiberglass flares. Stock Gt flares are 7"/9".

Not sure who still makes them, Getty would probably be a good place to start looking ...
smile.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jan 31 2014, 06:40 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Hey TC what car is that in front of the 914? idea.gif
bulitt
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 3 2014, 11:10 PM) *

Not sure who still makes them, Getty would probably be a good place to start looking ...
smile.gif

I believe they are Patrick.
carr914
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Feb 3 2014, 11:30 PM) *

QUOTE(carr914 @ Jan 31 2014, 06:40 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Hey TC what car is that in front of the 914? idea.gif

New Corvette Stingray!

the LS 914 is Peter Brock (of Shelby Cobra Fame). He also has a LS 911
mb123
QUOTE(mittelmotor @ Feb 1 2014, 04:10 PM) *

Stock fuel-injected LS1 conversion here. Cast-iron SBC too heavy for my tastes. I love the instant torque...pulls as hard in 4th as it does in 2nd! I re-geared the 901 transaxle with H gears, and it makes a huge difference in cruising revs. A very straightforward conversion if 901 transaxle is retained. Wiring is much simpler than the Subie too.

The conversion doesn't ruin handling as some have opined, but it's not quite as agile as stock...so not for the autocross crowd. But it will take your breath away in 5th gear with an 80-120 mph pull.

I prefer a "sleeper" look, with 2.0 badge still firmly in place and a stock-appearing exhaust, with a single tip in original valance cut-out, and a second hidden dump pipe. Hardest thing to source was the 15x7 ATS wheels.

Click to view attachment

very nice understated look, impressive. I've got a L33 sitting in the garage waiting for the right project.
andys
LS1 power willl transform the 914 into something completely different, however you have to transfom the car; brakes, suspension, chassis reinforcement, cooling system, transaxle upgrade/alternate transaxle, electrical, and so on. It's a lot of work to get it done right, IMO.

I bought a new '73 2.0, so I'm familiar with the stock version. I've driven both a stock 914-6, as well as a 2.7 conversion car. I liked both those cars for good balance; they performed very nicely. Never driven a Subi powered car. Then of course my LS1 car, which is way different.

Andys
J P Stein
OK, maybe the problem is me.

I ran E Mod or XP in SCCA and am used to seeing lousy workmanship/trailer park engineering on highly modified cars. The onus for being slow should be on the builder, not his tools.
andys
piss'n914,

Where in SoCal are you located?

Andys
J P Stein
QUOTE(bulitt @ Feb 1 2014, 05:50 AM) *

[quote name=There are other venues than AX JP ! lol-2.gif
How is the Stang going?

Been working on the braking & handling for a few months......hp is not a solution there either. It was an evil handling SOB. If I can get it to handle, ride, & brake as well as my 05 TRD Tacoma pickup, I'll be happy. A couple hundred pounds off the nose is doable.

I have made some progress to that end. The front end & 4 wheel discs are done (I hope). but it is still up on blocks for the rear suspenders. Just got chased out of the shop by a cold snap while installing a Panhard bar in an attempt to get the leaf springs under control. Compared to the flexi flier 914 chassis , it is a POS. blink.gif

It won't be an the ground with a new motor till late April/early May. Then I can see how much good I did.
mittelmotor
QUOTE(mb123 @ Feb 4 2014, 07:34 AM) *

very nice understated look, impressive. I've got a L33 sitting in the garage waiting for the right project.

Thanks! I really like the stock "narrow body" look of the 914, so I worked hard to retain it. Most difficult aspect was squeezing a 225-width rear tire beneath the stock rear fenders. Needed a very aggressive roll of the lip, and a very subtle pull to accomplish. Still not perfect...rubs a tiny bit on the left side.

Car also has 5-lug conversion, with front struts/hubs/brakes from an early '70s 911. Has the narrower spacing for caliper attachment, and the iron M 911 calipers. Rear has drilled hubs (but with metal pads welded in so the studs have a more solid footing), 914-4 calipers and 914/6 rear rotors with the OD lathed down about 3 mm to fit. Stock 17 mm master cylinder; can't remember what pads, but nothing too aggressive.

Car stops a lot better than I thought it would! Takes a fair bit of leg, of course, but they're up to the performance potential of the car, for aggressive street use at least.
mgp4591
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 3 2014, 09:10 PM) *

smile.gif

A little more investigation found that they're Rennspeed parts- thanks for the input!
JRust
I have a both a LT1 & an LS1 ready for conversion. Have not driven either one. Bought a suby & really lost my desire to finish my LS1. Ended up with an LT1 914 project in another trade. Hopefully I'll get one finished. LOL! Probably going to sell them both at some point. Hard to beat a v8 914. It is a completely different ball game. My LS1 v8 started with a Buick 215 v8. Not a overly powerful v8 but all aluminum. Was a serious blast but I was never happy with that setup. So I took the plunge & picked up the LS1. It's patiently waiting in my shop for me to get off my ass dry.gif
Bruce Hinds
what's your LT1 worth to you - what shape is it in?
jmalone
Getting your present car/engine combo running well is loads less work and loads less$ than a transplant.
mgp4591
QUOTE(mittelmotor @ Feb 5 2014, 12:06 PM) *

Thanks! I really like the stock "narrow body" look of the 914, so I worked hard to retain it. Most difficult aspect was squeezing a 225-width rear tire beneath the stock rear fenders. Needed a very aggressive roll of the lip, and a very subtle pull to accomplish. Still not perfect...rubs a tiny bit on the left side.

Car also has 5-lug conversion, with front struts/hubs/brakes from an early '70s 911. Has the narrower spacing for caliper attachment, and the iron M 911 calipers. Rear has drilled hubs (but with metal pads welded in so the studs have a more solid footing), 914-4 calipers and 914/6 rear rotors with the OD lathed down about 3 mm to fit. Stock 17 mm master cylinder; can't remember what pads, but nothing too aggressive.

Car stops a lot better than I thought it would! Takes a fair bit of leg, of course, but they're up to the performance potential of the car, for aggressive street use at least.

That's something I was wondering about also- with the rear brakes stopping the V8 motor and trans, are the 914 rear brakes up to the job? That's alot of rotating mass to be halted by just a small solid rotor with a 2 piston fixed caliper. Are you getting any advanced rotor wear or overheating with your setup?
carr914
QUOTE(JRust @ Feb 6 2014, 09:47 AM) *

I have a both a LT1 & an LS1 ready for conversion. Have not driven either one. Bought a suby & really lost my desire to finish my LS1. Ended up with an LT1 914 project in another trade. Hopefully I'll get one finished. LOL! Probably going to sell them both at some point. Hard to beat a v8 914. It is a completely different ball game. My LS1 v8 started with a Buick 215 v8. Not a overly powerful v8 but all aluminum. Was a serious blast but I was never happy with that setup. So I took the plunge & picked up the LS1. It's patiently waiting in my shop for me to get off my ass dry.gif

If you want to sell the LS Motor, I can help you as I Sell Camaro & Chevelle Pro-Touring Suspensions and talk to people all the time. My Boss just bought a LS out of 2012 Camaro
JRust
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Feb 6 2014, 03:01 PM) *

That's something I was wondering about also- with the rear brakes stopping the V8 motor and trans, are the 914 rear brakes up to the job? That's alot of rotating mass to be halted by just a small solid rotor with a 2 piston fixed caliper. Are you getting any advanced rotor wear or overheating with your setup?

Your real stopping power comes from up front. Stock rears are fine although modifying for vented doesn't hurt. I recommend getting the later SC front end with the 3.5" calipers. Lot's more options for calipers then. I have a set of 944 Turbo Calipers on the front of my v8 914. Had no problems stopping with those with the 19mm MC. Just bone stock rears to go with them.
drive-ability
If your wanting a V8 car buy one that's done. There are plenty out there for sale or going to be for sale. Loads of so so cars and very few nice ones. I agree the cars need a ton of work for them to handle well, my old V8 car looked nice but didn't handle well as one would think. Building one is a lot of work, getting the car to work well takes time. Making it a great car takes lots of skill and/or money.
I'm hoping my second car handles great, using the 996 stuff will give me a chance to tune things. sawzall-smiley.gif

IPB Image
palmer_md
I'm confused about the title. LS1 or V8. Isn't that the same thing?

Either way I love to read through these engine swap threads for V8 and Subaru motors.

Not too many bad choices as long as you take the time to do it properly. 914 is a great car whether air cooled 4 or 6, or water cooled 4,6,8.
messix
QUOTE(palmer_md @ Feb 6 2014, 11:54 PM) *

Either way I love to read through these engine swap threads for V8 and Subaru motors.

Not too many bad choices as long as you take the time to do it properly. 914 is a great car whether air cooled 4 or 6, or water cooled 4,6,8.

well yes the gm ls series engine is a V8.

but there have been other V8s installed in the 914, buick/olds/ponitac/rover aluminum V8, sbf [small block ford], sbc [small block chevy], Porsche,and reports of audi also.

the ls engine is finding it's way into more transplants because it is a very compact and powerfull V8 package and is very affordable with a large performance aftermarket. the all alloy block and heads of the ls1 and some versions of the 5.3 make for a very light V8 that rivals the bigger Porsche 6's in weight and surpass in power.
mittelmotor
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Feb 6 2014, 03:01 PM) *

QUOTE(mittelmotor @ Feb 5 2014, 12:06 PM) *

Jrust pretty much nailed it with his reply. I'm satisfied with the stopping power, but if I were to track the car I'd definitely want to upgrade to the S alloy calipers and struts, at the least. Rotor surfaces are wearing nice and smooth. I'm only braking moderately hard on the street, so no fade or discoloration issues.

I wish I could remember what pads I used! R-compound tires (Toyo Proxes RA1) definitely help in hauling it down quickly.
mittelmotor
Here's a shot from underneath. So very easy to work on! The Renegade conversion uses an electric water pump mounted alongside the engine, so the stock pump comes off the front of the engine. Intake manifold gets flipped 180 degrees in plan view (it blew my mind that this was possible...for boat applications, maybe?) and the throttle body, MAF and air filter all stick into the rear trunk. But still enough room for golf clubs!

There's a ton of room alongside the engine to change plugs, etc.

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Rand
QUOTE(palmer_md @ Feb 7 2014, 12:54 AM) *

No. Simply because the LS series engines aren't the same things as the old cast iron Chevy 350 heavy brick from 1954.
When someone says V8, most people think of an old 350.
The LS series engines are another modern breed with drastically different power-to-weight characteristics and efficiency.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.