Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Craigslist convertable
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
jim_hoyland
See: http://losangeles.craigslist.org/ant/cto/4290767342.html
SirAndy
That actually looks better than i thought it would ...
idea.gif

I'd probably add individual roll hoops behind the seats and some sort of air inlet for the engine bay, but other than that, it seems someone actually put some effort into this.
nathansnathan
It needs steel wheels. I couldn't find the pics of number 1 with the stripes but a 550
IPB Image
Mike Bellis
I would buy one as a second car if the price was right.

That looks like a good car for the money... If there is no rust.
mrbubblehead
i kinda like it...
billh1963
I like it. The lines are actually nicer than I expected and someone spent some money on the interior as well as body.

If the car has no rust and the chassis was reinforced correctly this may be a very nice car.
914itis
Why is the strap only on one side?

I like it.
JawjaPorsche
Wow! What a red interior! The glove box looks strange.
turk22
I would not have expected to like that modification, but that really looks well done. Which makes me wonder why they are only asking 9800?
It would be interesting to see it with the top up, if it actually has one. It says the stripes are removable, which I would probably do, but all in all, it looks really nice.

nathansnathan
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Jan 31 2014, 06:13 PM) *

IPB Image

That interior, in this car. biggrin.gif

IPB Image
boxsterfan
All I can say is why? Why?!!!!!! shades.gif
scotty b

Like an 80 Y.O. hookers vajayjay blink.gif
scotty b
IMO the bottom of the sail panel needs to be raked down to match up with the door tops. The way it is, it just looks like someone quit trying confused24.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(914itis @ Jan 31 2014, 05:58 PM) *

Why is the strap only on one side?

I like it.

Look at the ad. It looks like it was added on the other side later. Some pics show one side, some show both sides confused24.gif
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(scotty b @ Jan 31 2014, 07:48 PM) *

Dude! You need to stay away from old hookers. Yikes! barf.gif
914bub
I've seen this car advertised before,(Samba maybe?). Notice how the windshield frame has been raked back as well? Somebody spent a lot of time on it. Not my cup o' tea but I respect the labor involved.
dlkawashima
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 31 2014, 05:06 PM) *

... and some sort of air inlet for the engine bay ...

maybe some RS60-like shark gills?

Click to view attachment
bigkensteele
Before I ever actually owned a 914, Beach Boys were building some pretty cool cars. Prior to becoming European Car, VW & Porsche magazine featured them on a couple of occasions. Their signature was raking the windshield back, which really does do wonders. I would buy this car if it did not have rust problems, and I lived in California, and I weren't replacing the hardwood floor in my basement due to a burst pipe that would have never happened if I lived in California.
jim_hoyland
Ad says the cars in Palmdale and owned since 1988; this could be a rust-free car..? FYI - Palmdale is pretty much a desert
Dr Evil
QUOTE(scotty b @ Jan 31 2014, 10:48 PM) *

popcorn[1].gif
Chris H.
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Jan 31 2014, 07:31 PM) *

This one has your name on it Mikey...pre-set up for a radiator....

Click to view attachment

Plus..

"LOOKING FOR REASONALBLE AND FAIR OFFERS. No reasonable offer refused."

And PLUUUUUUUUUUS

"Like an 80 Y.O. hookers vajayjay blink.gif"
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Feb 1 2014, 01:57 PM) *

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Jan 31 2014, 07:31 PM) *

This one has your name on it Mikey...pre-set up for a radiator....

Click to view attachment

Plus..

"LOOKING FOR REASONALBLE AND FAIR OFFERS. No reasonable offer refused."

And PLUUUUUUUUUUS

"Like an 80 Y.O. hookers vajayjay blink.gif"

I'm looking for more of a project. smile.gif

Something I can cut into and not feel bad... evilgrin.gif
Jon H.
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Jan 31 2014, 10:31 PM) *

Before I ever actually owned a 914, Beach Boys were building some pretty cool cars. Prior to becoming European Car, VW & Porsche magazine featured them on a couple of occasions. Their signature was raking the windshield back, which really does do wonders. I would buy this car if it did not have rust problems, and I lived in California, and I weren't replacing the hardwood floor in my basement due to a burst pipe that would have never happened if I lived in California.

I actually bought one of those Beach boy cars that was featured in the European Car. I bought the car with the intent to part it but once I got it home, i decide to put a motor in it and drive it while i finish my other 914.

Peter Jones-beachboys 914

Jon

jmill
I could do without the red interior but otherwise not bad.
Blue6
I talked to the owner today to ask about his door panels (i would really like a set of them). He said that his brother built the car when he worked at Beach Boys in the mid 90's. Rust free, just needs some final touches, like the previously mentioned glove comp door. Runs now, just needs a 914 guy to fine tune..
r_towle
It's starting to grow on me.

Rich
1974 914Vert
QUOTE(Blue6 @ Feb 4 2014, 06:12 PM) *

I talked to the owner today to ask about his door panels (i would really like a set of them). He said that his brother built the car when he worked at Beach Boys in the mid 90's. Rust free, just needs some final touches, like the previously mentioned glove comp door. Runs now, just needs a 914 guy to fine tune..

Hello everyone! My name is Jorge and I am the owner of this 914 beauty. My brother has owned the car since 1988 while in the Army. From what I can remember, the car was once red with a black interior, 1.8 litre dual Webber carb car. Once my brother got out of the Army, he worked at Beach Boys Racing in Venice, California part time. As the story goes, BBR was converting theses 914 to convertibles with a body kit. My brother opted out and only had the car convertible conversion while retaining the stock appearance. To answer someones question earlier, YES the car has been reinforced to accommodate the conversion and strengthen the chassis. From what I can see, the car is rust free, but I am not a PORSCHE 914 pro to know where to look exactly. All I know is that while my brother owned the car and while it has been in my possession, the car has been garaged. During the conversion, my brother decided to upgrade to a 2.0 Fuel Injected big bore engine. He also changed the wheels to original Fuch 4 wheels which he had polished. The suspension I know has been upgraded and has KYB adjustable shocks. The interior received a full custom Red interior. The seat are original 914 seats, however they have been modified to have side bolsters. According to my brother, the steering wheel is a very RARE Momo piece. He states that Momo did not receive the rights to place the Porsche crest on the horn button. I do have the convertible top and frame, however the top is in need of replacing. I like the car with the top down especially with the raked back windshield.

I acquired the car from my brother when he decided to move out of state. My thought was to restore the car as a Father/Son project. My son showed interest while he was in the Navy. Once he came home, he decided he wanted a brand new truck instead. While disappointed, I began restoring the car with many parts from Pelican Parts. I had the interior completely redone. I did a few things myself ( I LOVE working on cars). I replaced the Fuel Injection with new and rebuilt parts. The car was not running when I acquired it. While the car is now running and starts with no hesitation, it needs to be dialed in to be perfect. The mileage on the engine is unknown, so I am not sure if it needs anything like new rings and such. I do know it runs, drives and sounds good. It needs some things, all minor to be perfect.

I'd like to keep the car, but as someone mentioned in a previous post, I have some money into it and its time for someone to benefit from the car and personalize it to their own liking. I have too many projects in my stable and could use the extra space to work on them. That is the ONLY reason I have placed it for sale. If I had a bigger garage, I would definitely keep the car and finish it.

From reading all the post, it seems I have priced my car fair. All I am looking for is just that.i FAIR and reasonable offers. That is all. I know I will never recoup what is in the car, but that is how it goes sometimes. As a car enthusiast the reward is sometimes knowing that the car is in good hands and in a good home to someone that can appreciate it for what it is.

I'm sure many of you will have questions and I will be happy to answer them as best as I can.

Thank you,

Jorge
r_towle
Welcome Jorge.

How does the engine get fresh air to run properly?

Do you have any pictures of the car with the roof in place.
Do the side windows work?
1974 914Vert
QUOTE(r_towle @ Feb 4 2014, 09:01 PM) *

Welcome Jorge.

How does the engine get fresh air to run properly?

Do you have any pictures of the car with the roof in place.
Do the side windows work?

Thank you for the warm welcome and kind words.

The engine breaths through the stock air cleaner assembly. I was going to make something to adapt the the stock air cleaner and run it to somehow get outside cold air. So far though it seems to run pretty good though.

I don't have any pictures with the top up. My brother is away at work, so when he returns, I will ask him if he has any.

Since the windshield has been raked back, the stock side windows have been replaced wit custom plexiglass units which function just like the stock units.

Thank you,

Jorge smile.gif
timothy_nd28
welcome.png
Could you post a video of a quick walk around and perhaps under the engine lid near the battery tray?
1974 914Vert
QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Feb 4 2014, 09:23 PM) *

welcome.png
Could you post a video of a quick walk around and perhaps under the engine lid near the battery tray?

Thank you! I can definitely do that. Please give me a few days to get that video for you. In the meantime, I will post more pictures. I can assure you, the battery tray area is clean. smile.gif I spent alot of time cleaning and detailing the engine bay. I figured since I was taking the entire fuel injection system apart, I went ahead and replaced and refurbished many other parts.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=435
509]Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
2mAn
Ive been eyeballing this thing on CL for a while now. Looks like a great car!
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(2mAn @ Feb 5 2014, 10:06 AM) *

The owner isn't that far from you, go take a look.
1974 914Vert
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Feb 5 2014, 10:52 AM) *

QUOTE(2mAn @ Feb 5 2014, 10:06 AM) *

The owner isn't that far from you, go take a look.

If anyone is interested in looking at the car, please feel free to let me know and I will be happy to pm you my address.

Thank you,

Jorge
2mAn
I would but a few things prevent it. #1 Im still a NEWB to 914s and how bad the rust situations can be. #2 I only have a one car garage which is still occupied by my 77 Rabbit, that I've been trying to sell. Once its sold, the search will become VERY serious. I will lean on the 914 veterans to go with me to look at potential cars.

I have a question for you Jorge: The shiftknob looks to have a dogleg style pattern on it, is 1st down and to the left? I didnt know there was a 914 transmission that had a dogleg shift pattern...
VaccaRabite
2mAn - First gear down to the left is the stock pattern.
Unless you delete 1st gear when you do a SBC or other large engine conversion.

Zach
1974 914Vert
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Feb 5 2014, 12:34 PM) *

2mAn - First gear down to the left is the stock pattern.
Unless you delete 1st gear when you do a SBC or other large engine conversion.

Zach
Thank you for clarifying that Zach. I honestly did not know how to answer 2mAn question.

2mAn, Thank you for the reply. If you change your mind, please don't hesistate to let me know.

Thanks,

Jorge smile.gif
r_towle
Jorge.

The stock car has a grill on the engine lid to provide fresh air to cool the motor, and for intake combustion.

I may not be seeing it with the limited pictures, but how does the motor get fresh air now?

Does the red cover have a gap beneath it, or am I missing something.

I like the car, and even though I am on the east coast, it is starting to grow on me.

Rich
timothy_nd28
Rich, if you buy the car, I would be happy to convert the face dials in each gauge to red. It would be the final touch.
1974 914Vert
QUOTE(r_towle @ Feb 5 2014, 03:56 PM) *

Jorge.

The stock car has a grill on the engine lid to provide fresh air to cool the motor, and for intake combustion.

I may not be seeing it with the limited pictures, but how does the motor get fresh air now?

Does the red cover have a gap beneath it, or am I missing something.

I like the car, and even though I am on the east coast, it is starting to grow on me.

Rich
Hi Rich. The current engine cover is made of fiberglass and does not have a gap to draw in air. To answer your question, I am not sure how it gets air to the engine. I'm sure something can be fabbed in order to do just that, However; My brother drove the car for many years without any cooling issues?

From what I understand and please correct me if I am wrong, Doesn't the engine get cooled from the impeller flowing air through the engine tins?

Thank you,

Jorge
r_towle
Fresh air comes from above to feed the fan that cools the motor.

Properly done, there is no way for air to come into the top pt of the motor from below...cause all the air underneath the engine tin is very hot from the exhaust.
1974 914Vert
QUOTE(r_towle @ Feb 5 2014, 04:59 PM) *

Fresh air comes from above to feed the fan that cools the motor.

Properly done, there is no way for air to come into the top pt of the motor from below...cause all the air underneath the engine tin is very hot from the exhaust.

I see. Well from what I know, the car never had any issues with overheating. My brother drove it as a daily driver in wonderful California stop and go traffic for many years.

I'm sure if its a concern, the new owner can modify the engine cover to accept some sort of cooling ducts routed to the engine fan.

Thank you,

Jorge
1974 914Vert
Here are a few pictures of the car. Yes I only have the decals placed on one side, but this was just a comparison photo of with or without. I personally like them with and even made a spare set. The buyer can decide to remove or enjoy that a second set comes with the purchase of the car. I also custom painted the front turn signals in a candy red to compliment the stripes. Yes I know some of you are thinking that will not pass, but hey that is why it is a custom car. The buyer can leave as is or buy a new set.

Thank you, Jorge

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=436
056]Click to view attachment
1974 914Vert
For those of you who may be interested. Perhaps someone can decode the car???

Thank you,

Jorge

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Dave_Darling
Decoded:

It's a 74. That's pretty much all you can tell from the VIN...

--DD
1974 914Vert
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Feb 12 2014, 10:02 PM) *

Decoded:

It's a 74. That's pretty much all you can tell from the VIN...

--DD
So the other numbers besides the 74 are production numbers?

Thank you,

Jorge
Dave_Darling
47 == 914-4
4 == 1974 model year
29 == Karmann factory
20664 == series number within the 1974 model year

That means the car is the 20664th car to be assigned a VIN, specifically. The assignment was done near the end of the production process, evidently.

--DD
jim_hoyland
Added to VIN database. Can you shoot a pic of the plate located in the driver door jamb (front) It contains the cars original color code and chassis number.

1974 914Vert
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Feb 14 2014, 05:27 PM) *

Added to VIN database. Can you shoot a pic of the plate located in the driver door jamb (front) It contains the cars original color code and chassis number.

Sorry for the late response. Been super busy taking car of the Wife after her surgery.

Anyway, I looked at the driver door jamb and I don't see the plate you are referring to. Is it a sticker or an actual metal plate? Perhaps I am looking in the wrong area?

Thank you,

Jorge
r_towle
QUOTE(1974 914Vert @ Feb 26 2014, 08:13 PM) *

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Feb 14 2014, 05:27 PM) *

Sorry for the late response. Been super busy taking car of the Wife after her surgery.

Anyway, I looked at the driver door jamb and I don't see the plate you are referring to. Is it a sticker or an actual metal plate? Perhaps I am looking in the wrong area?

Thank you,

Jorge

Open the door all the way.
The plate is on the front, hinge side, of the door jamb.
It's a small 1 inch metal plate.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.