Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hand throttle for carbed cars GB $120 maybe less $99?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Mikey914
Here's the deal-
I had been buying these from a member in Germany. He has decided to stop making them. I've decided to tool up to make these as he has opted to discontinue.
I have a carbed car and these are basically a choke / and way of setting your throttle to a base RPM as desired on the fly.
Since these have a value I've decided to pick them up. It's a pretty simple set up, the only real cost is the stamping for the lever section. I have a few ideas that may reduce the cost to the $99 area, but I have to see how they work.

I will have these in about 6 weeks, so who's interested? Cost is also a function of how many people want them. If I can do 30 units I will guarantee $99 price point.
So who's in?
somd914
I'm interested. Let's see where the price falls.
eyesright
I want one, maybe two, possible three.

Would heater cable levers work? I bet you could scrounge for many of these. Would the labor of clean-up/refurbish be cheaper than new manufacture...?
Eric_Shea
One complete and one extra front mount if possible.
barefoot
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Feb 1 2014, 09:29 AM) *

Here's the deal-
I had been buying these from a member in Germany. He has decided to stop making them. I've decided to tool up to make these as he has opted to discontinue.
I have a carbed car and these are basically a choke / and way of setting your throttle to a base RPM as desired on the fly.
Since these have a value I've decided to pick them up. It's a pretty simple set up, the only real cost is the stamping for the lever section. I have a few ideas that may reduce the cost to the $99 area, but I have to see how they work.

I will have these in about 6 weeks, so who's interested? Cost is also a function of how many people want them. If I can do 30 units I will guarantee $99 price point.
So who's in?

Aren't there lots of similar lever assemblies already around used for throttle or choke control on garden tractors & mowers and such ??
Mikey914
The lever is the most expensive part. The rest I can make for about $40, I do make the correct black knobs, so the arm assembly is the biggest cost. If anyone can source them for me I could make these for even less. I had thought about looking at other levers, but had to get a better look at what's out there.
But yes, it would save some cash.
euro911
I went ghetto ...

Click to view attachment

Actually, this is similar to what I installed in my '67 bus to adjust the dizzy while driving driving.gif
anderssj
I'm interested . . . may help for the 48-state tour biggrin.gif
JmuRiz
Question, can they be used with a rennshift?

If so, I'm interested, as I know it'd be awesome to have on my other carb'd car.
Harpo
I also have a aftermarket shifter so I'm interested but concerned about compatibility

Thanks

David
jcambo7
What would having an aftermarket shifter do with it?
ConeDodger
QUOTE(jcambo7 @ Feb 1 2014, 04:04 PM) *

Not a thing, but let's string them along for a while... evilgrin.gif
jcambo7
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Feb 1 2014, 07:30 PM) *

Oh ok...so I have rennshifter too. Do I have to return to stock to use this? stirthepot.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(jcambo7 @ Feb 1 2014, 04:33 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Feb 1 2014, 07:30 PM) *

Oh ok...so I have rennshifter too. Do I have to return to stock to use this? stirthepot.gif

Yes. And send that useless Rennshifter to Original Customs to be used on the DE/TT car. biggrin.gif
Elliot Cannon
Are we talkin' a poor mans cruise control?
jcambo7
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Feb 1 2014, 08:09 PM) *

Are we talkin' a poor mans cruise control?

Pretty much.
jcambo7
Stupid iPhone double posted
Socalandy
I'd buy one set
sixnotfour
QUOTE(Socalandy @ Feb 1 2014, 05:17 PM) *

I'd buy one set

Andy do you not have an OG piece for your 914-6 ??? LMK t will be a bit more but OG
KaptKaos
Let me know the costs, please.
Mikey914
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...660&hl=hand
These work with aftermarket shifters with modification, DEC has a picture.
I have already machined the rod and the the plates. The lever is the last piece. This is one of the projects I just needed to wrap up.
ChrisFoley
Mark,
We need to talk.
I've been working since the middle of last year to produce an inexpensive hand throttle kit.
Planned release is this spring.
brant
I need one
Kansas 914
I need one - if for no other reason too warm the beast up so it will idle - stupid carbs.. smile.gif

So - YES - I am in for one.
Mikey914
Kind of nice to be able to set it up enough to warm up. I haven't done much AX but I bet it's nice to not have to have the motor spool all the way up from idle.
DEC
Hi Mark,
Nice to see that you make further with these parts
GeorgeRud
I'd be interested in one for my conversion car.
Jonathan Livesay
One for a 914 and one for a 912.
hcdmueller
I need one.
euro911
QUOTE(Jonathan Livesay @ Feb 3 2014, 12:07 PM) *
One for a 914 and one for a 912.
There you go ... and advertize on the Bird Board idea.gif
ConeDodger
Love that these are true to the original design. I wouldn't have it any other way on my car.

But now that I am going to a Motronic controlled six, I don't need one. Good luck Mark...
FlatIV
I would like one, please.
Mikey914
Looks pretty good so far18 units if I count correct looks like $99 is obtainable.
-Mark
Kansas 914
I wonder how this will install with a center console...
bdstone914
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Feb 4 2014, 06:12 PM) *

The lever fits in the slot in the front part of the shifter housing. Should not be a problem with a center console.
Bruce
PotterPorsche
Anyone have a picture of what it looks like installed. i'm on the fence
Jonathan Livesay
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Feb 4 2014, 04:44 PM) *

The lever fits in the slot in the front part of the shifter housing. Should not be a problem with a center console.
Bruce

Well that's a problem for the 912, I didn't think that out. That is where the heater control lever goes. Maybe an extension piece to mount it on the tunnel just behind the shifter? Kind of like where the heater control is on a 914?
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Jonathan Livesay @ Feb 4 2014, 05:56 PM) *

QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Feb 4 2014, 04:44 PM) *

Bruce

Well that's a problem for the 912, I didn't think that out. That is where the heater control lever goes. Maybe an extension piece to mount it on the tunnel just behind the shifter? Kind of like where the heater control is on a 914?

Since I am running headers and have no heat that would be perfect.
Brian_Boss
If the final product is as accurate a reproduction as the one from your German guy, I would definitely take at least one.

FWIW, I wouldn't mind a higher price if that's what it took to make it original looking.

Brian
Mikey914
QUOTE(Brian_Boss @ Feb 6 2014, 01:49 PM) *

If the final product is as accurate a reproduction as the one from your German guy, I would definitely take at least one.

FWIW, I wouldn't mind a higher price if that's what it took to make it original looking.

Brian

understood,
This should look and function like factory, and as you can see other members have made adaptations for their applications.
morgan_harwell
I will buy one set.
Mikey914
Progress on the 1st batch, just need to finish the rods.
Mikey914
Rods should be done the 24th
Qarl
QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Feb 1 2014, 10:35 PM) *

Let me know the costs, please.

If you're still talking orders, I'm in.

Qarl
maf914
Mark, I am in for one kit. As usual, thanks for offering this group buy.
duktail
Mark, Please count me in for one assembly. Thanks
colingreene
id like one.
Mikey914
Looks like the rods will be ready a little earlier. I'll keep everyone posted.
-Mark
patrick3000
Another order, I'll take one and thanks!
Qarl
QUOTE(patrick3000 @ Mar 11 2014, 03:05 AM) *

Another order, I'll take one and thanks!

Bump for 914rubber!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.