Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Required parts for an oil change
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cfletch
New 1970 914 with a 1.7L. I have all ready got the oil and a new filter but after some reading I see ill need a gasket set? I am wondering if this is correct and what else would I need?
Also where is a place I can purchase these items?
Thank you for helping out the possibly obvious questions, but hey I gotta learn somehow right?
ConeDodger
Oil filter, oil...

These are VW motors so valve adjustment should probably be done with each oil change. For that, you need valve cover gaskets.
r_towle
Copper drain plug washer, one use only.

Dave_Darling
Spec on valve adjustments is every other oil change, I believe. New valve cover gaskets are often not required, but are definitely good to have on hand if one of the gaskets does get damaged or you decide it's old enough to toss.

There are two crush washers, one around the drain plug and one around the nut that holds the sump plate and strainer onto the bottom of the engine.

There are two gaskets for the oil strainer; one goes between the strainer and the bottom of the case, the other goes between the cover and the strainer.

Those should all be available as a "kit" from any of your favorite 914 parts suppliers. I prefer Pelican, for obvious reasons, but just about everyone should have them available. If there are any VW Bug shops local to you, they probably have them as well. Just ask for a Type Four oil strainer gasket kit.

Note that the torque spec on the strainer cover retaining nut is very low, less than 10 lb-ft! (It's 9.4 lb-ft, if I recall correctly, in fact.) Do not over-torque, because you can break the crankcase if you do...

--DD
Kraftwerk
On my 1.7 There "seemed" to have been a rubber washer /gasket above the strainer which disintegrated upon removal. Does Pelican sell a 1.7 specific "kit" ? Part #'s?
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Feb 2 2014, 10:25 AM) *

Spec on valve adjustments is every other oil change, I believe. New valve cover gaskets are often not required, but are definitely good to have on hand if one of the gaskets does get damaged or you decide it's old enough to toss.

There are two crush washers, one around the drain plug and one around the nut that holds the sump plate and strainer onto the bottom of the engine.

There are two washers for the oil strainer; one goes between the strainer and the bottom of the case, the other goes between the cover and the strainer.

Those should all be available as a "kit" from any of your favorite 914 parts suppliers. I prefer Pelican, for obvious reasons, but just about everyone should have them available. If there are any VW Bug shops local to you, they probably have them as well. Just ask for a Type Four oil strainer gasket kit.

Note that the torque spec on the strainer cover retaining nut is very low, less than 10 lb-ft! (It's 9.4 lb-ft, if I recall correctly, in fact.) Do not over-torque, because you can break the crankcase if you do...

--DD

Every oil change. The gaskets can be used for a half dozen cycles if they're applied properly. Drop the sump and replace the filter every time, replace the 2 gaskets and the crush washer (an application specific part). The kits used to have 2 of those, one for the sump, one for the drain plug. Cheapness overtook that one. Be SURE to apply the proper torque to the sump nut.

The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.