Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to replace windshield.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
offwatch
I have the new windshield that I got from Pro Source Glass. Have the old one out with the aluminium trim still attached. It looks like it was all just held in with butyl tape.

I see were they sell plastic clips for holding on the trim but it looks like the old ones where held in by the butyl tape or some other type of glue. Do I need the plastic clips?

PanelBilly
That would be the correct way to re-install it
ConeDodger
The trim should have come off before the window came out.

You will need the plastic trim clips, butyl tape, a couple spacers used to keep it from setting too low.

First, clean all the old butyl out of the mounting flange. I used a Dremel with a small abrasive buff. Careful not to touch the body where the paint will show. I took it down to bare metal. Once you have done this, you will see little holes the plastic trim mounts go in. If there is still a plastic pin in the hole, just drive it in so it doesn't interfere with the new one. Next, I masked and sprayed the bare metal flange with a primer sealer followed by body color. Now, place the trim plastic and set the pins. Next, place the butyl tape around the flange. Finally, put the spacers in place to keep the window from being set too low. The inside edge of the window now gets coated with a black treatment to help it adhere to the butyl tape. Once that is done, you're ready to place the window. I did this by myself but you may want help to be sure it is evenly spaced side to side. Press around the edges to set. Finally, replace your trim.

As an optional step, you could have your trim straightened, polished and reanodized.

Then, just drive driving.gif and enjoy!
dangrouche
here is the thread describing all the parts and techniques to do the install

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=74816
offwatch
QUOTE(dangrouche @ Feb 1 2014, 04:32 PM) *

here is the thread describing all the parts and techniques to do the install

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=74816

Thank You, that is exactly what I was looking for. This site rocks. piratenanner.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.