Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: New garage heater
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
skline
I come out to my garage at 5 or 6 in the morning and its only about 50 degrees in here, sometimes lower or higher but on average, cold to me. I bought this heater yesterday and set it all up. It brings the garage to 80 in about 15 minutes or so. Cheap to operate too. Just dont get too close to it cause it will catch you on fire. I really like it. Anyone else have one of these?
Jeff Bonanno
that looks like it would be perfect for powdercoating!
skline
It works great, If I close the garage and leave it run for about 15 or 20 minutes, I have to turn it off or open the door. It gets very warm in here. Best heater I have ever bought. It can be used indoors or outdoors too. So if there is ever a power outage, I could use it in the house in an emergency. Not like it gets that cold here in Southern California but if I lived up in the mountains or back in the midwest it would be good to have.
Jeff Bonanno
snow in Julian today!
skline
Ok, well, let me correct my last post, it is not supposed to be used indoors. I just read the directions. It says it consumes oxygen and produces carbon monoxide. So I guess I can just run it for a little while and turn it off for a while. The garage is ventilated so I dont think I am going to die from it. I just didnt want anyone to go buy one to heat their house.
Joe Bob
Yeah....after reading your first post I was going to warn ya....

Propane burning heaters are not rated for indoors. I have a bazooka type one and it cranks the heat but sets of the CO monitor....so I heat the garage up...then have to set up an exhaust fan.

You still coming up this weekend?
drgchapman
IPB Image with Mike, this will kill you with CO indoors. A CO monitor would be a great idea. They also work great in the pits on a cold day!
JerryP
Any other recommendations for garage heaters that, preferably, won't kill me? I have forced air gas heat in the house and was thinking of just running a duct out there but I don't want to heat it all day while I'm at work.

Santa brought me a MIG and I gotta learn to use it in there so safety is an issue.
sanman
I have had that heater for 2years. Keep it nice and toasty IPB Image
double-a
oh poor baby, 50 degrees. our garage is unheated, and is about 25 in the mornings. all i gots is a small ceramic heater, those propane jobbies work great. might hafta get one IPB Image

~a
Allan
I have one of the radiant type heaters they sell at Costco. It's pretty good up to about 6 feet if you point it at the area where you are working. Would never heat up the garage though. IPB Image
joea9146
This is what I am using Very efficent and Safe.

Modine_Hot_Dawg_Heater
Aaron Cox
quit buying new stuff and finish your shalom IPB Image
joea9146
QUOTE (skline @ Jan 4 2005, 12:18 PM)
I come out to my garage at 5 or 6 in the morning and its only about 50 degrees in here, sometimes lower or higher but on average, cold to me.

Just Noticed your in CA.... You Dont Need no Stinkin Heat.... IPB Image IPB Image
iamchappy
I work out in my garage in a tee shirt when its 50, you cant possibly think thats cold. IPB Image
TonyAKAVW
I have that same heater, bought it at Home Depot. My garage has one door, the large one in the front where the car enters/exits, so for me the CO is not a problem. I bought this heater for powdercoating and have not had perfect success with it in that domain. My plan is to build some kind of box to try to contain the heat a little. Its tough to get a part to 400 degrees for 20 minutes just by hanging it in front of the heater. If you don't get the part up to 400 degrees the powder seems to not stick very well, almost like regular paint. I figure I've gotten most of my parts up to 250 or maybe 300 and some of them chip fairly easily.

But yeah, for heater work, it does an excellent job.

-Tony
Dave-O
QUOTE (iamchappy @ Jan 4 2005, 03:44 PM)
I work out in my garage in a tee shirt when its 50, you cant possibly think thats cold. IPB Image

I wasn't going to say anything. I think about 50 is a good working temperature. You can go like crazy without breaking a sweat.

David
lapuwali
I hate being cold, but I worked comfortably in my 50d garage this weekend. Just wear a set of garage sweats instead of a garage tee shirt and shorts.
Rhodes71/914
OK I gotta post this again, It's in my progress thread but since this is about garage heaters I thought that I would share. This was New Years Day evening , about 9pm in my garage when I pulled my 1.7. Heater I don't need no stinking heater.
Red-Beard
http://www.cetsolar.com/ventless.htm

These are Ventless gas heaters which are rated for indoor use. I had similar units in apartments in Upstate NY. They come with CO and O2 sensors which will shutdown the unit if a malfunction occurs or if the oxygen gets depleted in the room. They were great "supplements" for the primary heating system: Baseboard electric.
michel richard
QUOTE (joea9146 @ Jan 4 2005, 01:02 PM)
I come out to my garage at 5 or 6 in the morning and its only about 50 degrees in here, sometimes lower or higher but on average, cold to me.

Just Noticed your in CA.... You Dont Need no Stinkin Heat.... IPB Image IPB Image

Joe,

Just noticed you're in CT, you don't need no steekin heat either.

hihi

Michel Richard
In Montreal
guywan914
I have the same " Hot Dawg" heateras Joe. I think it's the only way to go. Keep it set to stay just above freezing and turn it up 15 minutes before working. used a kerosene fired portable heater for a while but gave that up before removing the gas tank!!!!
brant
maybe this is a bad Idea, but I'm posting it here for feedback and to have it shot down if it is a bad idea...

A guy I now did this and I was going to try it myself when I finally get my garage built:

he bought a used house furnace from one of those environmentally friendly home recycle places... Said he spent $100 for a good one in decent condition.

then plumbed his garage with gas and the correct ventelation... I'm not sure what the fan was but it might have been a furnace with a built in fan...

anyways.. old furnaces are not as effiecient as new furnaces, but I figure if your only going to run it while your out there it will still not be expensive....

plus since the furnace would be rated to heat an entire small house, but I'd only be heating a garage it ought to get it up to temp in no time and be able to run on a common home-depot thermostat...

now whats wrong with this idea?

brant
rhodyguy
don't think an open door will make you safe from CO. it will slowly build up in your blood and if you take in more than you can eliminate, you can consider yourself lucky if all you get is a screaming headache. save the heater for the patio on those chilly 60* san diego evenings. currently ouside the kitchen window. snow in the forcast for us later in the week.

kevin
joea9146
QUOTE (michel richard @ Jan 4 2005, 08:14 PM)

Joe,

hihi

Michel Richard
In Montreal

Michel .... You are correct I guess its all realative to where you are located.... Unlike you who is from the Great Frozen Tundra.... See you in the late Spring... LOL IPB Image IPB Image
Howard
No mate, this is a heater..
michel richard
QUOTE (joea9146 @ Jan 4 2005, 05:06 PM)
QUOTE (michel richard @ Jan 4 2005, 08:14 PM)

Joe,

hihi

Michel Richard
In Montreal

Michel .... You are correct I guess its all realative to where you are located.... Unlike you who is from the Great Frozen Tundra.... See you in the late Spring... LOL IPB Image IPB Image

Thanks for your kind answer, Joe. I was expecting someone from North Dakota, or from Manitoba to one-up me. I guess the evening is still young.

Michel
type11969
my mechanic has a heater that runs off of used engine oil, pretty cool device for those with a good supply of used oil. Dunno where he got it though, guess it could just be a modified oil furnace.

Are there any heaters in the 100-150 dollar range that won't kill me, don't use electricity (as the heating fuel, not much power in the garage + welder + electric heat = dark), and can heat a drafty 1 car garage?

My guess is no, long undies and multiple layers here I come!
Rhodes71/914
my mechanic has a heater that runs off of used engine oil, pretty cool device for those with a good supply of used oil. Dunno where he got it though, guess it could just be a modified oil furnace.

Worked in a shop in Nome, Alaska that had one of these used oil heaters. Thing really cranked oul the heat but took a fair amount of maintenance. We had the contract to do maintenance on all the city and state vehicles and heavy equipment so we had plenty of used oil. We need plenty because the thing used a lot.
Joe Bob
Nice but illegal in most states.....while EPA has banned them it's up to the locals to enforce.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.