Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: new to me pretty original car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
bmendel
Finally brought home a new to me 73 914, owned by my dad for the last few years, finally able to make room for it and buy it from him. Been about 10 years since I sold my old 73 2.0. Like my old one, this car is all original paint and interior, but a little nicer than the old one. Not completely original, but nothing that can't be undone. 36K miles on it. Going to try and clean it up a little more underneath before the summer, and looking for some correct US turn signals.

Already got a set proper of 4 lug fuchs, getting ready to swap those on. Any idea what the set of 4 16x6's that are currently on it might be worth with the 5 lug conversion parts?
Mblizzard
Very nice! Very nice! If that needs more cleaning underneath, then you may have a problem because that is pretty dam clean. Nice car.
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(bmendel @ Feb 2 2014, 10:28 AM) *

........... clean it up a little more underneath before the summer,.....

You're making the rest of us feel bad..."clean it up a little more" lol-2.gif . What's to clean?.....a little light dust perhaps biggrin.gif ?

Really nice car, and kudos for returning it to OEM thumb3d.gif

Paul
914werke
Very nice!
I notice R. sway bar shock mounts but the car was clearly never equipped?
bmendel
I have a pretty short attention span for cleaning, so a couple hours here might be my one and only shot at a concours car, then I can get into keep it really nice, but nowhere near anal mode.

Any hints for fixing a split in the sunvisor? I heard use superglue on a small section at a time, anyone tried that?
bmendel
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Feb 2 2014, 12:00 PM) *

Very nice!
I notice R. sway bar shock mounts but the car was clearly never equipped?

Yes, there are some changes underneath, not totally stock, but not touching the paint, trim or interior.
mepstein
I haven't seen too many 4 lug backdates. Unless it all has to be origional, it sort of seems like your going the wrong direction (just my opinion smile.gif ). But I imagine you are looking at ~1K for the wheels. They are pretty. It depends what type of parts your father used to go 5 lug. If hubs and rotors are drilled, then not a whole lot of money. If he used all oem 914-6, 5 lug hubs, stubs and the holy grail - 914-6 rear calipers, then your looking and a good chunk of change. Take some pics of the front and rear suspension and especially the brake calipers and this site will tell you exactly what you have, what's it's worth and probably a couple offers to buy along the way.

Pretty car!
bmendel
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 2 2014, 12:23 PM) *

I haven't seen too many 4 lug backdates. Unless it all has to be origional, it sort of seems like your going the wrong direction (just my opinion smile.gif ). But I imagine you are looking at ~1K for the wheels. They are pretty. It depends what type of parts your father used to go 5 lug. If hubs and rotors are drilled, then not a whole lot of money. If he used all oem 914-6, 5 lug hubs, stubs and the holy grail - 914-6 rear calipers, then your looking and a good chunk of change. Take some pics of the front and rear suspension and especially the brake calipers and this site will tell you exactly what you have, what's it's worth and probably a couple offers to buy along the way.

Pretty car!

Just drilled rotors. Maybe I'm crazy, but I really like the look of the 4 lug wheels better. I did think about keeping the 5 lug and using deep 6's like the 914-6, but still liked the original look better. No racing or auto crossing planned, just tours and get togethers.
JeffBowlsby
It will be great to see this gem someday.
billh1963
Beautiful car
bmendel
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Feb 2 2014, 02:49 PM) *

I'll get out to a Bay Area event some day soon. Looking through all the records with the car, I think you've already seen the wiring harness...
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(bmendel @ Feb 2 2014, 05:22 PM) *

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Feb 2 2014, 02:49 PM) *

I'll get out to a Bay Area event some day soon. Looking through all the records with the car, I think you've already seen the wiring harness...

I thought that grey harness looked familiar smile.gif

You might think about Parade this year (15-21 June) and also the Werks Reunion (Aug 15), both in Monterey. I am sure there will be a large Bay Area 914 contingent attending.
ndfrigi
Wow amazing!!!!!!!
914itis
This is not just "new to you"
It is new!
bmendel

You might think about Parade this year (15-21 June) and also the Werks Reunion (Aug 15), both in Monterey. I am sure there will be a large Bay Area 914 contingent attending.

I am planning at least one of those, not sure which yet.
JawjaPorsche
Damn! Your teener is awesome! beerchug.gif
Pat Garvey
Wow!
Too bad it's so filthy piratenanner.gif
Larmo63
Most here would kill to have a car that clean. I would keep the wheels. It looks like the models I used to build as a kid. Psycho.
Johny Blackstain
What a gem! beer.gif
If you're going to backdate the wheels to 4 lug I would consider either Pedrinis or Mahles over the 4 lug Fuchs- I like the way the look better than the 4 lug Fuchs, but that's just me. All are OEM, however I'm not sure if Pedrinis were an available option in 73. Good luck on finding decent condition US spec turn signals.
siverson
Hmmm... Is that my old car? Did your Dad by it from me in San Diego?

-Steve
siverson
My old car was VIN 4732905198

-Steve
bmendel
Definitely your old car, found a bunch of receipts from you. Sent you an email through the site here, would love to hear any old info you have on the car and its history.
bcsellie
I have Pedrini's on my '74 and would be willing to trade your 5 bolt setup for my 4 bolt setup w/ Pedrini's plus cash. They were recently blasted and powder coated.

Just throwing that out there.......love your car!!!

Blaine
bmendel
Nice car! There was a point when I would have been tempted by your offer, I actually have pictures from a prior owner that had those pedrini's on it, I do like them, but I already swapped over to 4 lug fuchs and sold the 5 lug parts, sorry.

Click to view attachment
Larmo63
LOVE the Fuchs on it. 16" five lug wheels didn't quite look right. Good backdate!
steuspeed
Did you chrome the lugs or buy them that way?
bmendel
QUOTE(steuspeed @ Sep 12 2014, 11:33 PM) *

Did you chrome the lugs or buy them that way?

I bought them that way, from Partsheaven I think. I have a set of originals, but they need refinishing, and that may take some time before I get around to them.
siverson
> Definitely your old car, found a bunch of receipts from you. Sent you an email through the site here, would love to hear any old info you have on the car and its history.

Sorry, I missed your reply from a while ago. Anyways, my email is steve@914.com.

I'll try to dig through my old stuff to see what I can find. Here a couple photos I have it from 2009 to 2011...

Your Dad did a great job cleaning it up. It was very nice/clean, when I had it, but that's just over the top. I thought it was strange to convert that car to 5-bolt... It had perfect 4-bolt Fuchs on it too.

-Steve
siverson

siverson
Hey, even though the car is 6 years older now, I'd be willing to do you a favor and take it off your hands for the same price I paid... smile.gif

-Steve

bmendel
It must have been the guy between you and my dad that swapped the wheels and did the serious cleaning. You might have to get in line behind my dad, he's started talking about buying it back...
Beeliner
Remind your dad that teener prices are going up - up - up.

Plus now it's springtime..... rolleyes.gif
Cairo94507
Very nice car. I like the stock wheels on it better than the 16" it had. Though I would have been tempted to put deep sixes on it.
siverson
> It must have been the guy between you and my dad that swapped the wheels and did the serious cleaning.

Yes, I think that sounds right.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.