Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Starter Question follow up
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TINCAN914
So I bought a new starter for the car. Part number 16300. Everything matches up, number of terminals, gears, etc. the original starter was removed by my son, but he neglected to tag anything, so I'm not sure if the wires are on the right terminals or not.
So mounted it a few minutes ago, and when we hooked up the positive to the battery, it begins to make a high pitched whining sound. I have to assume we hooked one of the terminals up incorrectly, but i don't want to move things around risking frying it.
thoughts?
Perhaps the gears on the starter are not engaging? If this is the case, would this cause the starter to just spin? Clueless here..
Tom
If hooked up incorrectly, sure. The big cable from the battery goes on the top large terminal along with the large ring terminal for the alternator. The yellow with a spade terminal goes to the inside of the battery terminal ( top large post).
Sorry, I don't have a pic to post, maybe someone else will soon.
Tom
Looking at end of solenoid:
XX Top large post- battery cable and alt. cable
xx small male spade- yellow with female spade connector. This connector is to the right of the large posts.
XX bottom large post- to motor of starter
TINCAN914
Thanks Tom... beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.