Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tranny issue
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jim_hoyland
I had been having some shifting issues going into 1st and reverse on occasion. My mechanic showed me the worn parts and said they need replacement. Not sure what they are called, and want to know if they are available new.

Big thanks to Bruce Stone; he brought the parts and saved the day !

Lastly, why did they wear out ?
type47
Not sure what you're showing, you have 3 pix. It would seem to me the first pic is of a tube or the ball the shift fork pivots on. The second is the fork which should have a white plastic cup/bushing/socket/? in the hole for the pivot ball, the third is the shift fork. What are you asking about?

There is a link to the 914 PET in my signature. These parts are shown in an exploded diagram in 301-10 along with part numbers.
Mblizzard
QUOTE(type47 @ Feb 3 2014, 12:58 PM) *

Not sure what you're showing, you have 3 pix. It would seem to me the first pic is of a tube or the ball the shift fork pivots on. The second is the fork which should have a white plastic cup/bushing/socket/? in the hole for the pivot ball, the third is the shift fork. What are you asking about?

There is a link to the 914 PET in my signature. These parts are shown in an exploded diagram in 301-10 along with part numbers.

Took one apart that was missing the white plastic cup and there was not much left of the ball. This ball looks better than the one that was put together with out the cup so I guess it is the plastic cup?
jim_hoyland
The plastic cup was missing; I have a replacement. The cups are easy to find
76-914
That's why it's worn, Jim. No cup washer. Should feel much smoother now.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(76-914 @ Feb 3 2014, 01:32 PM) *

That's why it's worn, Jim. No cup washer. Should feel much smoother now.

Is that cup bushing somthing that is replaced after so-many miles ?
Dave_Darling
Usually it should be replaced every time you replace the clutch. Mostly because it's a pain to tear everything apart again later just to replace a freakin' 75-cent bushing.

--DD
r_towle
It is suggested that you replace all your plastic shifting parts at every 40 year scheduled service period.
You are all set for a while now.
jim_hoyland
New info: I found the clutch release fork is NLA; but found a number of them on eBay for prices ranging from $35 -$85

The round gizmo seems to be available . Couldn't find any throw out bearing shafts.

Good news is Bruce has the parts and we are back in business
rhodyguy
jim, you'll a new release lever retaining clip too. tiny, they usually are cracked. haynes p70 fig 3.1.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Feb 5 2014, 05:33 AM) *

jim, you'll a new release lever retaining clip too. tiny, they usually are cracked. haynes p70 fig 3.1.

Right: I had ordered the retaining clip along with other small parts. The granny's back in the car and it feels good. The occasional grinding into 1st and reverse has stopped. I ended up installing new flywheel, new PP, new clutch, new TO bearing, and replaced the clutch release fork. Fortunately, I had accumulated all the major parts over the years at swap meets and sales. I have a good flywheel that I'll put up for sale; just needs resurfacing
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.