Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Accelerator Cable sticking
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
newdeal2
After I re installed my motor the accelerator cable is sticky. It appears to be in good condition and I think it may be dirty from being exposed while the engine was out. Is there an easy way to fix this i.e. remove and clean?

If not is the Terry cable Pelican sells a good choice? They say it's better. In what respect?
Root_Werks
Yeah, the terry cable from PP should be fine. I would replace it. There is a long plastic sleave that wears out over time. If you let it go, it can rub metal cable against metal housing and make sort of a mess, leave you stranded. Cheap insurance, just replace it. IPB Image
Gint
IPB Image BTDT. Replace the cable.
d7n7master
Check the cable guide at the firewall. If it's worn, you may have just found your "sticky cable" issue. If no - I second the terry cable. Adjustment on my terry cable was a bit of a biotch. I ended up adding some spacers 'cause the cable was longer than stock. But once it's installed, it doesn't need ever to be lubed & it is smooooth. IPB Image
& replace the throttle cable while you still have grease under your finger nails.
Mo' better to replace these bits while your in the garage. Try it in the rain, on the side of the road & you'll quickly understand my point.
Trekkor
IPB Image

Good advice here. IPB Image

I have and use both throttle and clutch Terry's...They rule.

Soooo smooth.

KT
cooltimes
Good advice from the others.
Additionally. The cable could now be kinked/bent since it is sticking now and it wasn't a problem prior to the engine removal.
Another possible place to look is the expansion spring that is attached to the throttle body return linkage and to that little tang on the engine compartment wall. It may need to be replaced or cut shorter for re-tensioning and smoother operation.
Anyone have a good measure on that springs relaxed length?
Always carry a spare accelerator and clutch cable.
MikeCool
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.