Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1.8 FI distributor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
shane
Putting L-jetroic on my 74 1.8 taking the weber and the 009 distributor off. Was going to get a remanufactured Cardone 31-939 thats what is called for as a stock distributor is that a good choice?
jim_hoyland
The Mallory Unilite is a very good distributor. I bought one from Tangerine Racing ( a member vendor ) My car runs cooler, doesn't ping, and gives a more even acceleration through the rpm range.
timothy_nd28
agree.gif I heard nothing but good things about the Mallory unilite. I'm hoping to switch to that this coming summer.
shane
QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Feb 3 2014, 08:21 PM) *

agree.gif I heard nothing but good things about the Mallory unilite. I'm hoping to switch to that this coming summer.

Is the cardone 31-939 a normal stock distributor for that car? Thanks
stugray
I thought that all FI cars needed a special distributor.

How does the ECU know when to fire the injectors if there are no points for the FI in the dist.?
brant
QUOTE(stugray @ Feb 4 2014, 10:09 AM) *

How does the ECU know when to fire the injectors if there are no points for the FI in the dist.?

I don't know the correct part numbers off of the top of my head
there are 2 different 1.8 Ljet distributors with slightly different curves for those 2 years....

the L jet distributor doesn't have the fuel injection signal points
it gets its instructions to fire differently
and the injectors are constant I think? not pulsed fired?
I could be wrong on that... but I know the distributor doesn't interchange and doesn't have FI points.

brant
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(brant @ Feb 4 2014, 12:36 PM) *

QUOTE(stugray @ Feb 4 2014, 10:09 AM) *

I don't know the correct part numbers off of the top of my head
there are 2 different 1.8 Ljet distributors with slightly different curves for those 2 years....

the L jet distributor doesn't have the fuel injection signal points
it gets its instructions to fire differently
and the injectors are constant I think? not pulsed fired?
I could be wrong on that... but I know the distributor doesn't interchange and doesn't have FI points.

brant

The L-Jet does not use the trigger points like a D-Jet. The injectors fire based on a pulse from the negative side of the ignition coil, in the same way the tach works. The injectors batch fire with half the needed amount of fuel in each pulse. Every other pulse sprays on the back of a closed valve, and is ingested when the valve opens.

timothy_nd28
QUOTE(shane @ Feb 4 2014, 08:19 AM) *

QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Feb 3 2014, 08:21 PM) *

Is the cardone 31-939 a normal stock distributor for that car? Thanks

Sorry, I'm zero help when it comes to part numbers and compatibility
Cap'n Krusty
Based on my 40 + years in the business, I can honestly tell you that I wouldn't even install a Cardone part in my trash barrel. Their stuff would have to improve 500% to meet the strict standards to be called "crap".

The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.