Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: vapor lines
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
worn
When I was stripping the tub I wasn't as respectful to the vapor lines running under the rockers from engine to tank as I might have been. Also I am not sure where they all are (no smiley for what an idiot).
At any rate they seem to be a PVC material that is either supposed to be kind of stiff or has hardened with the age. They look black, and I suppose they may have started that way. Other than that they look like tygon tubing.
I can find no replacement source. I probably won't have space for the catalytic converter in the 3.2, but I see no reason not to use this device for reducing emissions. But what should I use?
Great thing is that this group will find me an answer (of some sort). Thanks so much!
SLITS
Thin wall, flexible plastic tubing. Only carries air and fuel vapors under minimal pressure.

Tygon hadn't been invented yet! poke.gif
flash914
I work on large trucks and I would look at air brake line. Gordon
boxsterfan
Some people just use rubber hose. You might be able to use some irrigation hoses from your local home depot.
DRPHIL914
sorry for the highjack but somewhat related, is this why the tank can build up pressure or vaccum? is it the lines being blocked or the charcoal canister? ive read where the charcoal needs to be replaced too,
btw the airlines from a truck seem like a good idea.

SLITS
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Feb 4 2014, 12:20 PM) *

sorry for the highjack but somewhat related, is this why the tank can build up pressure or vaccum? is it the lines being blocked or the charcoal canister? ive read where the charcoal needs to be replaced too,
btw the airlines from a truck seem like a good idea.

The tank is vented via the charcoal canister and expansion chamber. As you know, fuel will vaporize with heat. The fumes are supposed to be taken back to the air cleaner to be burned in the engine.

If you draw a vacuum (negative pressure) on the tank, the vent has been capped off.

The small hose from the filler neck connects to the expansion chamber which in turn is connected to the charcoal canister. On my car I run the vent hose to the bottom of the car ... yeh! I'm not "green".

The charcoal can become saturated with fumes and lose it's effectiveness. I thought by placing it in an oven it can be made good again, but it can be replaced.
76-914
I think I posted this a while back. If you can't find it pm me, I'll find the link. I just moved my canister back to the engine and ran a 1/4" alum tube from the tank back to the canister. It mounts on the R side Top engine. Much easier than running 2-12mm hoses.
ruby914
Polyethylene Ice Maker supply line

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNu...w&cId=PDIO1
toolguy
low pressure drip irrigation supply line
euro911
Like Ron, my hose dumps out below the firewall. If my charcoal canister is still good, one of these days I'll get around to installing it. Where can one get new pellets for them?
topatrout914
QUOTE(euro911 @ Feb 5 2014, 05:07 AM) *

Like Ron, my hose dumps out below the firewall. If my charcoal canister is still good, one of these days I'll get around to installing it. Where can one get new pellets for them?

You can find activated carbon in most pet supply stores. It's really cheap. The hard part would be getting the canister opened up a sealed back up I would think.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(topatrout914 @ Feb 5 2014, 08:00 AM) *

QUOTE(euro911 @ Feb 5 2014, 05:07 AM) *

You can find activated carbon in most pet supply stores. It's really cheap. The hard part would be getting the canister opened up a sealed back up I would think.

i cant remember where it was or when it was posted but while searching this a while back i ran across a thread someone did on replacing the charcoal, and it seems like it wasnt that hard. I was going to test the lines first by blowing some compressed air thru there to see if the lines are clogged first (or broken), and replace as needed, but since the car is almost 40 years old, i would say its a good idea to just replace the charcoal no matter what. i guess i will add this to my list of "things to do" , i need another one of those like a hole in the head wacko.gif
rhodyguy
i found pellets for REAL cheap at amazon. plastic canisters can be opened, not so sure about the metal ones. i recently hooked up the evap system in a 74' with carbs. stock location was the rear of the engine bay. one line from the single fitting on the fan shroud and the small line that runs thru the center tunnel to the canister. no lines in the dr side long.
MMW
Why not use hard nylon fuel line? Easily available at auto parts stores & cheap also. Comes in many diameters & rolls of different lengths.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessori...ier=839137_0_0_
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.