Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vendor inquiry
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
HalfMoon
Anybody ever done business with these guys?
http://www.showcars-bodyparts.com/PORSCHE914.html

I'm particurarily interested in the Group 5 body kit....
StratPlayer
Almost looks like the old porsche palace setup.
SirAndy
Every single picture used on that webpage is straight out of the catalogs of other vendors.

That's one of the most blatant ripoffs i have ever seen ...
blink.gif
bulitt
Thought you already had a Sheridan kit on your car?
HalfMoon
QUOTE(bulitt @ Feb 4 2014, 01:34 PM) *

Thought you already had a Sheridan kit on your car?

I do.
Shhhh, I'm building another.
HalfMoon
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 4 2014, 01:11 PM) *

Every single picture used on that webpage is straight out of the catalogs of other vendors.

blink.gif

Really? Even the Group 5 stuff?
Where've you seen that before? I'd like to go look.
D
SirAndy
QUOTE(HalfMoon @ Feb 4 2014, 11:58 AM) *
Really?

Yes, really. Not a single image on that page belongs to them.
dry.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 4 2014, 12:24 PM) *

QUOTE(HalfMoon @ Feb 4 2014, 11:58 AM) *
Really?

Yes, really. Not a single image on that page belongs to them.
dry.gif

The group 5 kit (among other things they list) is made by A.I.R. (American International Racing):
http://www.americaninternationalracing.com...246&page=20

Other images shown on their page are from Getty Design:
http://www.gettydesign.com/914_bodywork.html

shades.gif

PS: I actually used to have copies of the printed catalog pages that they simply scanned and put on their website. Not a single one of those catalogs were from "showcars-bodyparts" ... It's a scam website ...
naro914
Yeah, the SCCA body kit and all associated parts are AIR. That purple car is currently owned by Tom Burge in NJ (and is for sale btw)
Same body kit as Papa Smurf... though interestingly they are cheaper than AIR...

go here and click on all the Albums...
http://www.americaninternationalracing.com...9246&page=8
HalfMoon
Ha! Well ain't that some sh@#t?
Mike Bellis
On the other hand, I have used AIR and those guys are great!
MoveQik
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 4 2014, 11:11 AM) *

blink.gif

Just to play devil's advocate...could it be a legit site and they are just a dealer selling the same parts? For example, as a side biz, I am a dealer in classic Chevy interiors. If you look at my company site you would see that all of my pics are identical to my manufacturers.

Just a thought.
SirAndy
QUOTE(MoveQik @ Feb 4 2014, 01:52 PM) *
Just a thought.

Do you also list the same prices as the original manufacturer? Do you also list scans of their printed catalogs with their logo removed on your website?

Seriously?
confused24.gif

PS: They're *cheaper* because those scans are a good 8 to 10 years old and list the original manufacturer prices at that time.
Mikey914
Yes pricing is very old, nothing wrong with a good price, but the scans are a BIG red flag.
Pick up in person or pay with a method you can get back if these guys dissapear.
I'd only do the 1st option.
Let us know how this turns out if you buy anything.
HalfMoon
Don't suppose anyone's familar with this widebody kit?
I think this is the Sheridan Widebody, right?
Click to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(HalfMoon @ Feb 4 2014, 02:48 PM) *
Click to view attachment

I know this car very well, that is Scott Yeaman's car. It's a Sheridan widebody kit...
smile.gif
HalfMoon
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 4 2014, 06:07 PM) *

QUOTE(HalfMoon @ Feb 4 2014, 02:48 PM) *
Click to view attachment

I know this car very well, that is Scott Yeaman's car. It's a Sheridan widebody kit...
smile.gif

Believe this is the kit referred to as the "ultimate". The one I have is the "standard". They're quite different but look similar. Interesting.
I don't suppose anyone's got a rear shot of this vehicle?
SirAndy
QUOTE(HalfMoon @ Feb 4 2014, 03:17 PM) *

I do but not here at work. You'll have to wait until tonight ...
type.gif
HalfMoon
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 4 2014, 06:31 PM) *

QUOTE(HalfMoon @ Feb 4 2014, 03:17 PM) *

I do but not here at work. You'll have to wait until tonight ...
type.gif

Thanks!
driving.gif
bulitt
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

HalfMoon
Hmmm.
I thought the Sheridan "Ultimate" widebody was a one piece tail section but this photograph has shown me otherwise. It's very similar to the "standard" which is what I have, just wider I guess?
Wish the images at Sheridan were larger and more of them :-(
r_towle
He can make it one piece, call him.
He could also send you more pics, just call him.

HalfMoon
QUOTE(r_towle @ Feb 4 2014, 08:05 PM) *

He can make it one piece, call him.
He could also send you more pics, just call him.

K. Thanks for the tip. I talked to him months ago (unrelated) and he seemed a nice guy and willing to be free with his expertise, so I'll do that :-)
SirAndy
And from the same weekend, Roger Sheridans own 914 ...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
HalfMoon
Must admit I'm leaning toward the Sheridan "Ultimate" widebody kit for my new project. I wish the Sheridan had a front large enough to support a lexon encased headlight system though....
Click to view attachment
MoveQik
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 4 2014, 03:12 PM) *

QUOTE(MoveQik @ Feb 4 2014, 01:52 PM) *
Just a thought.

Do you also list the same prices as the original manufacturer? Do you also list scans of their printed catalogs with their logo removed on your website?

Seriously?
confused24.gif

Ok. Never mind. Stupid thought. Whatever you do...don't compare my prices to my manufacturers....because my site is obviously a scam. rolleyes.gif
naro914
I have to kinda agree with MoveQik here...most companies use the manufacturers photos for their advertising, and many, many do not show the manufacturers logos or information. Even big companies don't.
What we don't know is if these guys have agreements with AIR, Getty, etc to resell. And as far as pricing, they are usually allowed to price whatever they want....say they get a 25% discount and only want to make 10% on their sales. That's their call (not smart, but their call...)
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 4 2014, 10:11 AM) *

A couple of notes:

- That page has been around for over 10 years that I can remember.
- Note that the prices in several areas are listed as "updated 2006".

Lots of people throw a website together and then just let it sit and age. Especially if they didn't put a lot of work into it in the first place. Say, if they scanned their suppliers' catalogs and posted them as-is.

I wouldn't assume that they are a rip-off. I would, however, assume that the prices have changed significantly. And you might have to remind them about what they offer. And some of the stuff may not be available at all.

So not overly useful, and probably not even close to accurate any more--but not automatically a scammer's page.

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 4 2014, 07:14 PM) *

Heh, obviously a Laguna Seca setup! (I could tell even before we saw the track in a later pic.) Lots of baffling for the intake, especially to the right, and the tailpipes point to the left. The sound booth is on the right side of the track going uphill to turn 6, so you see all sorts of bizarre setups to get the car's sound pointed away from the upper-right... biggrin.gif

--DD
bulitt
Whichever kit you decide on, you should know there is an incredible amount of work involved fitting the flares, attaching, etc.

In this regard some manufacturers offer a better "near" finished product than others which you will appreciate more than you know. You may have to spend hours shaping each flare as some are basically shipped from the mold.

MoveQik
QUOTE(naro914 @ Feb 5 2014, 08:48 AM) *

I have to kinda agree with MoveQik here...most companies use the manufacturers photos for their advertising, and many, many do not show the manufacturers logos or information. Even big companies don't.
What we don't know is if these guys have agreements with AIR, Getty, etc to resell. And as far as pricing, they are usually allowed to price whatever they want....say they get a 25% discount and only want to make 10% on their sales. That's their call (not smart, but their call...)

Thank you. That was my point. It may very well be a scam but you can't make that assumption solely because he uses his manufacturer's pics and pricing.
naro914
QUOTE(bulitt @ Feb 5 2014, 12:39 PM) *

Whichever kit you decide on, you should know there is an incredible amount of work involved fitting the flares, attaching, etc.

In this regard some manufacturers offer a better "near" finished product than others which you will appreciate more than you know. You may have to spend hours shaping each flare as some are basically shipped from the mold.

^^ Completely agree...and to make matters worse, over 40 years of use/abuse of our flexible little cars means that the body isn't normally EXACTLY like the ones they used for the molds. No matter what, expect a lot of 'fitting'...
HalfMoon
QUOTE(HalfMoon @ Feb 4 2014, 12:28 PM) *

Managed to speak with this guy today. He said he was an authorized dealer. I'm a bit skeptical as payment sare supposed to go direct to his name and he's located in Canada....He also didn't seem to know alot of details about the product I would have imagined he should know....like if the hood was reinforced or not.
Also, it appears as if anyone can order direct from AIR....so why would there be a dealer network?
Seems odd.
Mikey914
QUOTE(HalfMoon @ Feb 6 2014, 06:44 PM) *

Managed to speak with this guy today. He said he was an authorized dealer. I'm a bit skeptical as payment sare supposed to go direct to his name and he's located in Canada....He also didn't seem to know alot of details about the product I would have imagined he should know....like if the hood was reinforced or not.
Also, it appears as if anyone can order direct from AIR....so why would there be a dealer network?
Seems odd.

where in Canada?
may want to have a local member do the pick up
HalfMoon
QUOTE(HalfMoon @ Feb 6 2014, 09:44 PM) *

Seems odd.

Spoke with AIR and verfied that this guy is indeed an authorized dealer.
As an aside, according to AIR, none of thier dealers hold stock....so, I'm not clear on why someone would want to be a dealer for AIR as they will only get a discount that they could make money on if they were ordering/stocking alot of AIR's parts. Seems odd, and felt hinky but evidently on the up and up.
For my money, I think I'll order direct from AIR (the manufacturer) so I can have a point of contact direct in the event of problems.
Also, AIR products will be increasing by 20% in March sooooo, guess I better make up my mind purdy soon, eh?
TeenerTim
QUOTE(naro914 @ Feb 4 2014, 04:25 PM) *

Yeah, the SCCA body kit and all associated parts are AIR. That purple car is currently owned by Tom Burge in NJ (and is for sale btw)
Same body kit as Papa Smurf... though interestingly they are cheaper than AIR...

The page says it hasn't been updated since 2006 so I doubt anything on it is accurate.
HalfMoon
QUOTE(TeenerTim @ Feb 7 2014, 11:42 AM) *

QUOTE(naro914 @ Feb 4 2014, 04:25 PM) *

The page says it hasn't been updated since 2006 so I doubt anything on it is accurate.

I asked about that and he said those are the prices. I noted that several items didn't have prices at all though and he directed me back to AIR's site and said his are the same. Kinda weird, huh?
bulitt
IPB Image
carr914
QUOTE(naro914 @ Feb 5 2014, 10:48 AM) *

Any Good Smart Manufacturer is going to have a Jobber Terms Agreement with their ReSellers that holds them to MAP (Manufacturer Advertised Price) Pricing. This avoids a Product from being Whored out. If a Dealer resells a product below Retail, the product line gets pulled from that Dealer.

The Company that I work for sells product to Summit, Jegs, Shelby and a Host of smaller companies - they can Not sell our Products for less than we do. The only thing they can do is offer Free Shipping or add another product Free with the purchase of our product.

Koni is the Most vigilant Manufacturer when it comes to this - they use Colgate Pricing which is Stricter and has been Upheld by the Supreme Court
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.