Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: shifter bar bushing help needed
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rosenfe
on my 73 2.o,im reinstalling the shifter bar,got front on ,but back connection with new bushing is not going in over the ball.whats the easy way to do this>
rosenfe
QUOTE(rosenfe @ Feb 4 2014, 04:55 PM) *

on my 73 2.o,im reinstalling the shifter bar,got front on ,but back connection with new bushing is not going in over the ball.whats the easy way to do this>

maybe im not being clear:im reinstalling shift rod with coupler and new bushing in coupler to transmission,but finding it tough to get coupler onto ball at trans.is this normally a tight fit,maybe wrong bushing?any tips as to how to get coupler on to ball?
HalfMoon
QUOTE(rosenfe @ Feb 4 2014, 09:18 PM) *

QUOTE(rosenfe @ Feb 4 2014, 04:55 PM) *

maybe im not being clear:im reinstalling shift rod with coupler and new bushing in coupler to transmission,but finding it tough to get coupler onto ball at trans.is this normally a tight fit,maybe wrong bushing?any tips as to how to get coupler on to ball?

I just di mine a few weeks ago. It was quite a tight fit and I had to give it a good whack (with my hand) and I heard an audible click when it snapped into place. Don't for get to add a little lithuim grease :-)
r_towle
Put the bushing on the ball first, not while it's in the cup.

A good smack with a mallet will get it on.
rosenfe
QUOTE(r_towle @ Feb 4 2014, 06:43 PM) *

Put the bushing on the ball first, not while it's in the cup.

A good smack with a mallet will get it on.

thanks,i was doing it backwards
TheCabinetmaker
I put the bushing in the coupler first, then use a 3" clamp to press it onto the ball. Easy.

I've broken one with a hammer.
r_towle
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Feb 5 2014, 07:00 AM) *

I put the bushing in the coupler first, then use a 3" clamp to press it onto the ball. Easy.

I've broken one with a hammer.

agree.gif

A better way with less chance of damage.
rhodyguy
a tiny bit of lubricant on the inside edge of the ball cup bushing helps. make sure there's no crap left behind in the coupler too.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.