Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How much needs to be cut off the lover valve covers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PanelBilly
Distributor went to Jerry Woods today. Yesterday I ordered the flywheel. Cams left for Webcams on Friday. I need to keep the ball rolling so everything is ready when the machine work is done in March. Checking the brain-trust for the modification that needs to be made to the covers
tomeric914
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Feb 4 2014, 10:58 PM) *

Distributor went to Jerry Woods today. Yesterday I ordered the flywheel. Cams left for Webcams on Friday. I need to keep the ball rolling so everything is ready when the machine work is done in March. Checking the brain-trust for the modification that needs to be made to the covers

None. Use the aluminum 911SC valve covers. Turbo valve covers are NOT needed.

The key is to sand the valve covers flat. I use a piece of 12" x 12" marble tile with 220 grit sandpaper taped to it. No leaks for the past 2+ years.
GeorgeRud
If you already have the turbo lower valve covers, you just need to machine the ribs down in the area where the rear suspension arms attach. There are pics out there here room the bird boards that show the amount needed.
PanelBilly
I was searching bird last night and didn't see it.
mskala
I probably have my own pictures at home, but it is really not something easily
seen. For me it was necessary to go back and forth; grind a bit, check, grind a bit ...

Also, if you are simply in a hurry to get going, there's nothing stopping you from
using the 930 covers intact, it's just that to remove them you will need to lower the
engine. So you could just put off the whole thing until the next valve adjust/oil change.
toolguy
Here's a solution from a different direction. . . I pulled all my lower covers studs and use allen socket bolts. . makes it clean and simple. .
McMark
Here's a couple of not too great pictures. My technique, leave the lower covers off and then put the motor in the car and keep tweaking them until they go on. Once they go on, they'll come off as well.
Mark Henry
Just mill all the ribs down to the top of the bolt holes.
Still plenty strong enough and looks the best.

I'll get a pic smile.gif
Mark Henry
I like my covers shaved smile.gif
worn
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 5 2014, 12:27 PM) *

I like my covers shaved smile.gif

Looks nice Mark. I think I will go that way too. Nother excuse to overwork a too small milling machine.
Socalandy
agree.gif shaved
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.