Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sheridan Rear Spoiler
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
tomeric914
Direct link to the "How-To" part: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2022462

I received my Sheridan Rear Spoiler today and WOW is it ever nice! It is a simple piece but by far the nicest piece of fiberglass I have ever purchased.

To do it justice, what is the best way to mount it to the deck? Sure, I could run stainless TEK screws through it but what have others done? If you have pictures, please post!

thanks
Woody
Pics please. popcorn[1].gif
Randal
QUOTE(tomeric914 @ Feb 5 2014, 05:20 PM) *

I received my Sheridan Rear Spoiler today and WOW is it ever nice! It is a simple piece but by far the nicest piece of fiberglass I have ever purchased.

To do it justice, what is the best way to mount it to the deck? Sure, I could run stainless TEK screws through it but what have others done? If you have pictures, please post!

thanks

Doesn't it have bolt protruding from the bottom? If not I'd use riv nuts. I can post a picture of mine if you like.

campbellcj
Coincidentally I am about to install one too. I was planning to use either large aluminum or stainless rivets, or possibly those screws that tighten from both ends (forgot what they're called.)

I decided to get a 2nd lid so I will have one with the spoiler and one without. Partially for cosmetics - I think the car looks cleaner without - and partially because I would probably have to remove it for vintage racing. It never hurts to have spare fiberglass regardless.
campbellcj
Randal there are no holes or hardware in the one I have. Just fiberglass.
carr914
I used Stainless Nuts & Bolts

Click to view attachment
tomeric914
QUOTE(Randal @ Feb 5 2014, 11:20 PM) *

Doesn't it have bolt protruding from the bottom? If not I'd use riv nuts. I can post a picture of mine if you like.

Yes, please post a pic of yours. There are no bolts protruding. O-ring, closed end rivnuts may be the best way to go to prevent any leaks into the trunk area. I'd want to back up each riv nut with a fender washer if possible.

QUOTE(campbellcj @ Feb 6 2014, 01:24 AM) *

...or possibly those screws that tighten from both ends (forgot what they're called.)

Those are typically called binding rivets. Years ago they were used to bind pages of a book together.

QUOTE(carr914 @ Feb 6 2014, 05:45 AM) *

I saw that. The screw pattern looks somewhat random. Was there a reason for that?
tomeric914
BTW, Roger made mine in black gelcoat at my request. It's so nice that I may just clear coat it.
bulitt
How come the bolts are not equi-distant?

IPB Image
Randal
[quote name='tomeric914' date='Feb 6 2014, 06:13 AM' post='1994236']
[quote name='Randal' post='1994087' date='Feb 5 2014, 11:20 PM']
[/quote]
Yes, please post a pic of yours. There are no bolts protruding. O-ring, closed end rivnuts may be the best way to go to prevent any leaks into the trunk area. I'd want to back up each riv nut with a fender washer if possible.

Couldn't find the picture I wanted to show you, but again Riv nuts work great. My mechanic made a small iron bar, with a hole in one end to use tightening up Riv nuts with a socket. Works good, especially with the larger riv nuts you will want to use.

Please post a picture of the spoiler and also where it will be going so we can see both parts.
tomeric914
QUOTE(Randal @ Feb 6 2014, 03:24 PM) *

Please post a picture of the spoiler and also where it will be going so we can see both parts.

The spoiler looks like TC's except it isn't yellow.
carr914
QUOTE(bulitt @ Feb 6 2014, 01:18 PM) *

How come the bolts are not equi-distant?

IPB Image

I have no Idea drunk.gif
tomeric914
Some more to think about:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Randal
QUOTE(carr914 @ Feb 6 2014, 02:45 AM) *

Click to view attachment

How high is that spoiler?

SCCA allows 10" - have to make another one as mine is 8" following PCA rules.

The riv nuts hold the extension well, at least as fast as I've been going on a hill climb, i.e., 100mph.

Click to view attachment

tomeric914
Ok, finally mounted mine using rivnuts with a sealed shoulder, stainless 1/4-20 x 5/8" bolts and stainless bonded sealing washers.

Step 1 - make sure the trunk is properly aligned with equal gaps on both sides

Step 2 - clamp in place and align spoiler evenly side to side

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Step 3 - mark spoiler for drilling. I drilled 1/2" from the upright portion of the spoiler in the center and at 1 foot increments to both sides. Drill through the spoiler into the trunk for perfect alignment.

Click to view attachment

Step 4 - install rivnuts. It will help to drill all the way through with a 1/4" drill to allow the rivnut tool to fully extend for the holes right next to center. The outer holes will need to be drilled straight through full size and will slightly contact the rubber seal strip of the trunk.

Step 5 - mount spoiler and enjoy!

Click to view attachment

Randal
QUOTE(tomeric914 @ Apr 8 2014, 05:55 PM) *

Ok, finally mounted mine using rivnuts with a sealed shoulder, stainless 1/4-20 x 5/8" bolts and stainless bonded sealing washers.

Step 1 - make sure the trunk is properly aligned with equal gaps on both sides

Step 2 - clamp in place and align spoiler evenly side to side

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Step 3 - mark spoiler for drilling. I drilled 1/2" from the upright portion of the spoiler in the center and at 1 foot increments to both sides. Drill through the spoiler into the trunk for perfect alignment.

Click to view attachment

Step 4 - install rivnuts. It will help to drill all the way through with a 1/4" drill to allow the rivnut tool to fully extend for the holes right next to center. The outer holes will need to be drilled straight through full size and will slightly contact the rubber seal strip of the trunk.

Step 5 - mount spoiler and enjoy!

Click to view attachment

Nice!
reds
I am looking to purchase a Sheridan rear spoiler very soon. For those of you who purchased the 6” version, is visibility out the back a problem?
campbellcj
I honestly never even noticed any change in visibility...but it's not like visibility is that great to begin with especially with full rollcage/race seat/helmet/hans...
campbellcj
IPB Image914R by Chris Campbell, on Flickr

IPB Image914R by Chris Campbell, on Flickr
tomeric914
Who looks out the back window? confused24.gif

It does not obscure my view at all.

QUOTE(reds @ Oct 13 2016, 12:25 PM) *

I am looking to purchase a Sheridan rear spoiler very soon. For those of you who purchased the 6” version, is visibility out the back a problem?

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.